Kansas City Metro, amazing food on both sides of the state line

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
DaveStein

Kansas City Metro, amazing food on both sides of the state line

#1 Post by DaveStein » October 9th, 2018, 8:22 pm

I moved to Shawnee Kansas in 2010 to chase a romantic dream. That last part is only relevant because the woman I went to be with is a well known restaurant manager that has worked at some incredible eateries. I was lucky recipient in so much as I afforded the chance to eat some very good food. Has anyone else gotten to taste the flavors of Kansas City and the surrounding cities in both sides of the state line?
newhere

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Kansas City Metro, amazing food on both sides of the state line

#2 Post by Dan Hammer » October 9th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Dan Hammer on October 10th, 2018, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
This space for rent.

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by jcoley3 » October 9th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Hi Dave,

Have we met?

I will give props to my adopted hometown ca. 2001.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by jcoley3 » October 9th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 9:23 pm
Are you asking about BBQ suggestions?
There's a lot more here than BBQ. But that BBQ!
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

Gary York

#5 Post by Gary York » October 9th, 2018, 9:52 pm

KC and food? Yeah sure. Whatever you say.
ITB

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Thomas Keim » October 10th, 2018, 6:58 am

Gary York wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 9:52 pm
You really have no problem showing your complete ignorance do you Gary? Kansas City is one of the greatest food cities in the country - and pretty famous for it as well.

And my favorite in Kansas City - Joe's BBQ in a former old gas station is literally, other worldly...
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by dsGriswold » October 10th, 2018, 8:57 am

A friend of my daughter moved there after growing up in LA and living for a time in Brooklyn. Daughter has visited and is impressed with the city. Affordable housing and one of the cross roads of America with the associated amalgam of regional influences. Always good in the foody world. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

DaveStein

#8 Post by DaveStein » October 11th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 6:58 am
Gary York wrote:
You really have no problem showing your complete ignorance do you Gary? Kansas City is one of the greatest food cities in the country - and pretty famous for it as well.

And my favorite in Kansas City - Joe's BBQ in a former old gas station is literally, other worldly...
Oklahoma Joe's started in a gas station and still has that first location. Without looking it up right now I believe they have a total of 3, 2 locations for sure. There is also Arthur Bryant's on Main, and Gates and one of my favorites Bates City BBQ in Shawnee just across the state line in Johnson County
newhere

DaveStein

#9 Post by DaveStein » October 11th, 2018, 6:56 pm

jcoley3 wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 9:31 pm
Hi Dave,

Have we met?

I will give props to my adopted hometown ca. 2001.
I'm not sure, I've met a lot of people. However I got back in June of this year
newhere

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by cjsavino » October 11th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Will be in Kansas City next week, may need to check things out
Chris

Otto Dobre
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Otto Dobre » October 11th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Visited a nephew who lives there a few weeks back. Nice city, great food. Crazy state taxes, even for a Californian. Airport is quite far from the city, but hey, in San Diego, the airport is smack downtown.

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Terry H a r r i s » October 11th, 2018, 7:52 pm

I get there occasionally, in connection with one of my cases, and my co-counsel/friends both live there and make some effort to keep up with the food scene. I've never been disappointed.
"'Watson,' understandably, 'declined to proceed any further.'”

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by jcoley3 » October 11th, 2018, 9:11 pm

cjsavino wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 7:12 pm
Chris,

Feel free to give me a shout if you want some guidance (I have some thoughts in a thread about KC somewhere). There's more energy on the Missouri side of the state line, but good options on both. If you're feeling social, I could even try to meet you for a glass.
Jim Coley ITB

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#14 Post by Dave McIsaac » October 12th, 2018, 6:31 am

jcoley3 wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 9:11 pm
cjsavino wrote:
Chris,

Feel free to give me a shout if you want some guidance (I have some thoughts in a thread about KC somewhere). There's more energy on the Missouri side of the state line, but good options on both. If you're feeling social, I could even try to meet you for a glass.
And be sure to check out Gomer's, the wine shop that Jim works (worked?) at. I scored some Thomas PN there, 7 years ago.

Hope all is well Jim. [cheers.gif]

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Thomas Keim » October 12th, 2018, 7:51 am

Dave McIsaac wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 6:31 am
jcoley3 wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 9:11 pm
cjsavino wrote:
Chris,

And be sure to check out Gomer's, the wine shop that Jim works (worked?) at. I scored some Thomas PN there, 7 years ago.

Hope all is well Jim. [cheers.gif]
Yes, Gomer's is the premier wine shop in Kansas City with a really remarkable selection. Jim also has a champagne bar in town as well -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Dan Hammer » October 12th, 2018, 11:36 am

DaveStein wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 6:54 pm
Thomas Keim wrote:
Gary York wrote:

Oklahoma Joe's started in a gas station and still has that first location. Without looking it up right now I believe they have a total of 3, 2 locations for sure. There is also Arthur Bryant's on Main, and Gates and one of my favorites Bates City BBQ in Shawnee just across the state line in Johnson County
Oklahoma Joe's (gas station location) is fabulous. As for Arthur Bryant's, it's gone downhill. And by downhill, I mean tasteless. pileon

For tips/burnt ends, go to LC's http://www.lcsbarbq.com/ This is about as down and dirty as you're going to get, but oh so good. The portion is enough for 2 to share.

If you have time, head to the Truman Library. It's about 20 or so minutes east of KC.
This space for rent.

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Terry H a r r i s » October 12th, 2018, 2:13 pm

First BBQ place I ever went to in KC was LC's. Wild place (blue smoke rolled out the front door every time someone opened it) and wildly good eats.
"'Watson,' understandably, 'declined to proceed any further.'”

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

Jason Hagen

#18 Post by Jason Hagen » October 12th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 7:51 am

Yes, Gomer's is the premier wine shop in Kansas City with a really remarkable selection. Jim also has a champagne bar in town as well -

Yes. Ce Va is a terrific place! I highly recommend. https://www.cavakc.com/

Jason

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Michae1 P0wers » October 16th, 2018, 1:52 pm

I lived in KC for six+ years until 2014. I think the BBQ is great, Jim is a friend, and Gomer's a great wine shop. However, with some exceptions the food scene in KC disappointed me. Fine dining in particular was rough. Even at the mid-level it took a lot of care. In any case, I don't say this to ruffle feathers, just one man's opinion.

Having said that, I hear that things have improved since 2014 when I left, and they improved a lot during my years there as well. I hope it has continued and continues into the future. I seldom get there often anymore, and when I do I usually revisit BBQ or a few old favorites, but I hope I'm wrong and that things are going great.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Kenny H » October 16th, 2018, 5:59 pm

I make it there a couple times a year and have had some really great hipster farm to table experiences.
We stay w a friend just south of the Plaza off Loose Park, lots of stuff not far.

I will have to hit you up Jim next time.
H0eve!kamp

DaveStein

#21 Post by DaveStein » October 19th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 11:36 am
DaveStein wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 6:54 pm
Thomas Keim wrote:

Oklahoma Joe's (gas station location) is fabulous. As for Arthur Bryant's, it's gone downhill. And by downhill, I mean tasteless. pileon

For tips/burnt ends, go to LC's http://www.lcsbarbq.com/ This is about as down and dirty as you're going to get, but oh so good. The portion is enough for 2 to share.

If you have time, head to the Truman Library. It's about 20 or so minutes east of KC.
I had forgotten to mention LC's. Damn right. Loved that place
newhere

DaveStein

#22 Post by DaveStein » October 19th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Otto Dobre wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 7:29 pm
Visited a nephew who lives there a few weeks back. Nice city, great food. Crazy state taxes, even for a Californian. Airport is quite far from the city, but hey, in San Diego, the airport is smack downtown.
I have flown in and out of San Diego many times and never get used to looking out the window on approach and noticing that there buildings directly across to the left and right and we are below the rooftops. Bizarre if not a bit unsettling experience
newhere

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by jcoley3 » October 26th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 1:52 pm
I lived in KC for six+ years until 2014. I think the BBQ is great, Jim is a friend, and Gomer's a great wine shop. However, with some exceptions the food scene in KC disappointed me. Fine dining in particular was rough. Even at the mid-level it took a lot of care. In any case, I don't say this to ruffle feathers, just one man's opinion.

Having said that, I hear that things have improved since 2014 when I left, and they improved a lot during my years there as well. I hope it has continued and continues into the future. I seldom get there often anymore, and when I do I usually revisit BBQ or a few old favorites, but I hope I'm wrong and that things are going great.
I think that while you were here there were a few top notch places, though much outside of The American (R.I.P.) not a whole lot of true "fine dining" experiences to be had. Bluestem was probably the other option. In more casual styles I think there were some good examples, but not a ton of depth. There's a lot more now, and certainly a lot more wine list creativity.
Kenny H wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 5:59 pm
I make it there a couple times a year and have had some really great hipster farm to table experiences.
We stay w a friend just south of the Plaza off Loose Park, lots of stuff not far.

I will have to hit you up Jim next time.
Please do! I'm about five minutes away from there.
Jim Coley ITB

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Michae1 P0wers » October 27th, 2018, 7:13 am

Jim, I was never impressed by Bluestem; good service, food was not impressive. Never made it to the American. Like I said, I've heard that generally it's improved so glad to hear that's the case. Saw a shout out for a place called the Antler Room on a national feed of some kind the other day, I think it was for best new natural wine bars.

jcoley3
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by jcoley3 » October 27th, 2018, 11:45 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
October 27th, 2018, 7:13 am
Jim, I was never impressed by Bluestem; good service, food was not impressive. Never made it to the American. Like I said, I've heard that generally it's improved so glad to hear that's the case. Saw a shout out for a place called the Antler Room on a national feed of some kind the other day, I think it was for best new natural wine bars.
Yeah, that’s one of my new favorites. I’ve known Nick and Leslie since they were at the Rieger years ago. They traveled a lot, worked at some amazing places and came back here. I also think you left before Jarochos - Chef Carlos Falcon does incredible Latin American sea food. Set up an Omakase budget with him ahead of time and he’ll kill it.
Jim Coley ITB

m p r y b u t o k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by m p r y b u t o k » December 26th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Was in KC a couple weeks ago. The burnt ends burger with spicy slaw at Q39 was one of the more enjoyable things I’ve eaten in a while. The taste of brisket I had was legit as well. Would love to come back and try a full platter of the bbq.
Nice beer list.
M@rk Prybut0k

Robert Thornton

#27 Post by Robert Thornton » January 28th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Late to the game (been off board for a while) and non bbq, but if you’re interested in one of the two best grilled cheeses in the country, Westside Local is good.

Cheers,
-Robert

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”