2018 White Truffles

Is it too early to comment on the quality this year? We’re going to be in Alba and I’m hoping they will be good or plentiful.

I had some last week that were surprisingly very good considering how early it is in the season.

I’ve heard that the quality this year is extremely high and will be plentiful. I’ll probably end up spending way too much money on them this season

Good news!

Thanks, if you’re right, you’ve made my day!

8045A1BE-7EC8-440B-91D1-8F496A8BFED7.jpeg
Had this 4.7oz beauty this past weekend. This far quality excellent.

Don’t have any trips to Alba planned, but luckily Market Hall in Oakland had one left today. They also have black truffles and they’ll throw in truffle eggs too.
C342FFB1-3B26-4BA9-8948-82019CA6220D.jpeg

Sounds good. A friend (Tuscany born and raised, a chef/restaurateur/sommelier/etc., awarded the title of “Cavalieri dell’Ordine della Stella d’Italia” last year) just arrived from Italy bringing a stash of Alba white truffles, with which he will make a pairing menu for me and a few other friends this coming Thursday. The comments above make it difficult to wait.

Last time I buy them online. I got the same tasteless, crumbly crap.

for nyers eataly doing a sale at $5.90 per gram today only.

Had no intention to buy them but they smelled so great I picked up a couple of ounces for scrambled eggs and Krug for Friday and Saturday brunch.

I know some folks aren’t fans and I haven’t called yet to see what they think, but I’ve had good luck here, urbani running at 35% off through Tuesday.

Eataly’s truffles were supplied by Urbani.

Eataly at $5.90 a gram ends up at over $2600 a pound. We got some through an Italian goods purveyor for $2200 in LA.

Although she doesn’t eat it, my wife bought some for me. The whites are very tasty, topped-up and rocked simple butter-and-cream spaghetti. Used the black to enhance scrambled eggs for breakfast.

9AD176AF-E141-4D55-AB1C-DEDE5F6F1B73.jpeg
E3711168-BB87-419C-9CCD-5DE18B316B1B.jpeg

Good to know, now I just need me some Krug champagne.gif

Had this two ouncer a few nights back from Sabatinos and it was fantastic!

Has anybody tried the truffle creams that Rare wine Co is offering now?

Robert,

I’ve bought everything that was offered today; pasta, white truffle cream, truffle butter and truffle oil. I’ve been very satisfied with all. You need to use a lot for the best taste. The truffle cream doesn’t beak up or evenly spread well on pasta (or maybe there’s a technique I don’t know), but I love it. It lasts longer than fresh truffles, but not as long as the truffle butter.

I’d say go for it.

Cheers,
Warren

Thanks Warren, I think I will give them a try.