Long Island North Fork Restaurants suggestions

My wife and are are going to Long Island wine country in a few weeks for our 40th anniversary. Does anyone have a nice restaurant suggestion where we can celebrate properly? BYO friendly is a plus.

Casual lunch suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

I have not been in years, but the Frisky Oyster in Greenport used to be great.

Farm Country Kitchen on Main Street in Riverhead is a good spot.

We spent a week on the north fork last summer.

Had a wonderful meal at Barba Bianca in Greenport. Ate outside right on the dock. https://www.barbabiancany.com/.
Great local seafood and a classic italian menu. Good winelist with a balance of North Fork and Italians. We loved the combo of clams with fregola alongside a One Woman Gruner.

On the wine side, Make sure to make a pilgrimage to Anthony Nappa’s tasting room, The Winemaker’s Studio -http://www.anthonynappawines.com/ and to One Woman in Southold-https://www.onewomanwines.com/

Thanks for the recommendation. I was reading a Long Island thread recently and there was talk of One Woman. Over the weekend, 2 different set of friends both mentioned One Woman! When all the dots connect… [cheers.gif]

A fun place on Love Lane in Mattituck is the Iron Skillet… only open on weekends… byob… order from menu in advance… holds about 14 people.

Sounds delicious. Reservation made. Thanks. [cheers.gif]

Geoff, Barba Bianca is closed for the season.

I still have another night to plan.

We’ve been going to Greenport for a weekend in Sept/Oct for the past 6-7 years and love it. Places we’ve really enjoyed:

Caci - good italian food in Southold. The setting is a little odd (a converted residence) and it can get a little loud but the food is good
Frisky Oyster - downtown Greenport - 2nd the recommendation above. Not cheap but good food and fun & lively scene
For a place to grab lunch or a drink after dinner, hit Stirling Square in Greenport. It has a woodfired pizza place, a charcuterie place and American Beech (I’d skip the restaurant but the outdoor bar area is cool)
Not sure where you’re staying but we always hop on the ferry from Greenport and go over to Shelter Island for dinner at the Vine Street Cafe.
North Fork Table and Inn - haven’t been but I’ve heard it’s excellent. I believe it’s a tasting menu.
First and South - a good place in Greenport for lunch or a casual dinner
If you’re out wine tasting and find yourself along Rt 48, stop in a Erik’s in Southold for a good quick lunch (or breakfast).

Hope this helps and happy anniversary!

Thanks Scott. We’re staying at the Shinn Estate Inn. Now I have some additional homework to do.

The Halyard. When I last asked, corkage was $25/bottle. It didn’t seem like a very firm policy. Great views of the Sound, good food.

Update. Iron Skillet was delicious.

For lunch we went to Southhold Fish Market. It’s a fish market on one side, and a ‘restaurant’ on the other. You order your food at the cash register, then sit down and wait for them to call your name. When you get the bill, there’s not even a tip line.

I ordered a lobster roll $23. My wife ordered a grilled shrimp salad. About $17.00. I also ordered 1/2 dozen wild oysters for $12.00. Hey, when on the island… flirtysmile Good QPR on the food and portion size.

In spite of the many recommendations I received, one place not to eat at is… https://www.northforktableandinn.com/

When you walk in, it’s a pretty place. The bar looked like a local watering hole of Long Island’s north fork well off residents.
Not a lot of tables, so easy to talk. They have a limited menu that I checked out in advance. FYI, corkage is $35.

It was the first day of scallop season, and that’s what my wife ordered. Delicious. Many of the entrees are mid $40 range.
I ordered the duck, because if you can’t order duck at a good restaurant, where can you order it. I ordered the dry aged Crescent Farms Duck. Here’s the description from the menu > (cooked to your liking) White Asparagus, Rhubarb, Frilled Mustard, Duck Jus

Just like the nose of a wine prepares you for drinking, so does the menu descriptive. The duck was served medallion style. It looked great. I cut a piece off, eating some skin and duck. It was salty. Very salty. For the next piece I cut a piece of duck without the skin. It’s still salty. I called over the waiter and told him this was very salty. Back and it goes and another piece appeared a few minutes later. This piece was less salty, but under cooked. The waiter told me that the chef didn’t put extra salt on this??? No mention of salt on the menu. A little salt is ok, but this was unacceptable. For this type of money, I really expected an outstanding meal.

We ate better, and at half the price, at Iron Skillet (mentioned above). That meal was so good good, I suggested to my wife that we blow off North Fork and head back to Iron Skillet; but she wanted to go upscale for our 40th anniversary dinner.

Wow Dan, sorry to hear about your experience. Guess I can cross that spot off my list of places to hit (or recommend)!