JFK White House Quiche

MANY years ago, I read a bunch of recipes by Rene Verdun, the White House chef for JFK. When we were in SF, we went to his restaurant in the afternoon. Then, we could not afford to go there to eat. BUT, we found it closed, so traipsed back in a alley to the back door. We banged on in it for a while, and it was opened by the chef himself! We were stunned, and haltingly asked him if we could have one of his menus. He nodded, and disappeared for a while, and came back with a mint one. We thanked him profusely, and left happy as a bunch of clams.

Somewhere, I found a recipe for his JFK White House Quiche. Tonight, we will have it. BUT, I misread the section of the recipe about adding ham (2 ounces, well chopped), and confused it with adding 4 eggs, so added 4 ounces. I caught my error, but my beloved insisted on adding it to the cooled stuff. She loves ham in her quiches. Will tell you how it turns out. We will be drinking it with a nice Sancerre.

I almost mis-read the last part of the title.

Reminds me of a Bush-Cheney joke.

Recipe?

It was very nice. The extra ham that my wife insisted be put into it melded nicely and was not noticed as it blended in well. Here is the recipe:

JFK WHITE HOUSE QUICHE
(as prepared by Rene Verdun)

Ingredients:
2 tblsp virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
2 cups skinned, seeded and diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tblsp chopped pimientos or roasted red pepper
3/4 each tsp salt and fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped smoked ham (about 2 ounces)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 tblsp chopped fresh parsley
1-10 ounce partially baked pie shell (or six four inch shells)

How to Make It:
In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook for 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add green pepper; cook stirring often for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic, pimientos. salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in ham. Remove from heat and cool completely.

Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and cream; stir in cooled tomato mixture. Pour into partially baked pie shell(s); sprinkle with parsley.

Bake in 425 F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F; bake for 20 minutes or until set but still jiggly. Makes 6 servings.