Fish prep in European vs US restaurants.

Wrapping up a multi-city, Michelin Star dominated dining vacation in Germany and Amsterdam. I am not a big fan of fish dishes in general. Just hasn’t ever scratched a gastro itch for me.

However, every single dish I’ve had here containing shell or fin fish has been wonderful with the preparation of the protein executed perfectly.

I realize the bias based on the restaurants but even at top US locations the fish doesn’t compete.

So, I come here to ask why?

Theories my companions and I have

Fish may be fresher, as in never frozen (is that truly possible in these cases?).

Do fish experience rigor? If so could we in the US eat primarily post rigor and these were pre?

Techniques?

To be clear this isn’t a ‘anything is better with butter’ topic. It’s a ‘these folks know how to cook (and source?) fish and I’ve been eating bad prep or bad fish my entire life’ topic.

Any insights to share?

Certainly quality of product is very important, probably most important but I don’t think it has anything to do with the ability of European chefs to cook fish better than American chefs. Quality product is available almost anywhere. I think it truly has to do with the level of restaurant that you ate in, in Europe vs where you eat here. Not saying that you eat at bad places here but knowing where you were in Europe, that level of Michelin star cuisine is much better than most (not all) of the places here in the U.S.
I also think that American kitchens tend to focus more on animal protein vs. fish. You could probably make an argument that we do a better job than Europe with beef.

Rigor - From what I understand most fish is eaten post Rigor Mortis as rigor can set in hours after the fish dies (depending on species). I don’t think that would be a factor.

George

I think that it’s a function of where you were eating.

Maybe in the mid and southwest but definitely not true on either coast.

My experience as a pescatarian is that the fish at better restaurants in NY vs Europe are of relatively equal quality, freshness and preparation.

Certainly cooking with local ingredients is always best.

George