TOMATO TART

Its still summer in Berlin with 27C and I was in the mood for a dish with tomatoes. And my favorite shop has sweet little Datterini tomatoes from Sicily. Serve each slice lukewarm with an anchovy or if you don’t like anchovies serve with olives. The key is of course the quality of the tomatoes, instead of Datterini use Oxheart or other kind of tasteful tomatoes. Serve with a chilled Rosé.

RECIPE: https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=5034

ENJOY
Martin

I have a similar one, but uses caramelized onions and a layer of cheese.

Thanks for posting the recipe and the photo, Martin. We have so many cherry tomatoes coming on now (from just one plant -Sweet 100 variety) We are going to try this tart!

WOW…you have a lot of luck Jim, as it is not easy to get tasteful tomatoes in Berlin. Its a pure&simple dish, but sooo good. ENJOY

This reminds me on the best dish in a restaurant I have ever had @ NOMA in 2011. Simple raw scallops with herbs, nothing more.

We grow tomatoes in containers on our back deck. They never get too big, but in mid-summer make a great tomato pie.

TOMATO PIE
Prep Time 20 mins, Cook Time 30 mins, Total Time 50 min
A savory summertime Tomato Pie made by layering tomatoes slices, basil, onion and a cheese spread into a pie crust and baking it until golden and bubbly.
Servings: 6 people
Author: Lauren Allen
Ingredients:
5 roma tomatoes , peeled and sliced (we use all sorts of little tomatoes with skins on, sliced in half)
10 fresh basil leaves , chopped
1/2 cup green onion (or red onion), chopped
1 9-inch pre-baked pie crust (pre-cook with beans for weights to prevent distortion)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise (or half mayo, half Greek yogurt, or all Greek yogurt)
2+ Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow them to rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Use a paper towel to pat-dry the tomatoes and make sure most of the excess juice is out. (You don’t want wet (juicy) tomatoes or your pie will turn out soggy).
  4. Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pre-baked pie shell (see my note above in the post about how I prepare the pie crust.) Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise or Greek yogurt together.
  6. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting and serving.

It’s August again and there’s a new crop of cherry tomatoes for me to make “Tomato Tart a la Zwick”. The cherry tomatoes this time were golden orange. I downsized the recipe a bit and went with basil instead of thyme. We invited the tomato tart as a “special guest” to our weekly cheese plate "dinner. My wife exclaimed “Absolutely delicious!” She was able to pick out the flavor nuances - the butter and cheese in the crust, the roasted garlic spread below the tomatoes. A winner!
tomato tart.jpg

6CC31D49-CB68-4CE9-A6ED-4DAEA5190391.jpeg
A finished version of ours. Pie crust, a layer of shredded cheese, caramelized onions, and tomatoes

Looks great. I like making them like the Provence style with mustard

Puff pastry (baked for about 10 minutes first)
spread entire surface with dijon
add good tomatoes
herbs de Provence
Reggiano
drizzle with olive oil
bake at 400 until done
tart.jpg
until done