Faroe Islands (Updated with Koks Review)

Going to the Faroe Islands this weekend to dine at Koks restaurant. I will be going to Koks both nights I am there. Any suggestions for a light lunch or breakfast. Also anyone know about procuring wine (I doubt it), at least the restaurant has a good list.

Update:

Well we made it, barely. We had a flight from NYC to Reykjavik that was scheduled to land at 6:55 AM and a flight from Reykjavik to Faroes Island at 9:20 AM, the ONLY flight for three days. I did not realize that the flight to Faroes was from a different airport 40 minutes away and of course our flight from NYC was delayed. We landed at 8:15 and somehow managed to make it through customs, into a cab and over to the other airport by 9:20 on the dot. Luckily it was a very small airport and it only took 5 minutes to get from the cab through security and onto the plane which did not take off until 9:45! Phew!

The experience at the Koks was truly one of the best overall experiences I have ever had. You arrive and start in a small little hut where you are served two snacks - dried Cod and butter and dried whale. The whale is definitely an acquired taste. I will say the the last bite was better than first.

After snacks in the hut you are transported to the main restaurant (a house on the side of a lake) by Range Rover. This was a particularly bad night with heavy winds and the lake overflowing on the road. Well it was a bumpy, scary journey, but again we made it.

Our first evening we were seated at the communal table. Which is a square table that seats 8 requiring interaction with the other diners. We found this to really enhance the overall experience we were seated with a Chef from Copenhagen, a couple from Iceland, a restaurant operator from Shanghai and a brother and sister who were Doctors from NY. Needless to say we got to know everyone particularly well especially given the end of the night experience.

For my tastes the meal was uneven. I struggled with the fermented dishes including one of the Islands specialties - fermented lamb. I felt like a combination of the some of the local flavors with just a little technique might have worked better for me. The Chef has worked at Geranium and I think Noma so he clearly has the skill. I loved the simple dishes most - Uni, Langoustines, Monkfish etc. that showed of the quality of the ingredients.

The wine list was excellent for a small restaurant, a mix of classical and Natural (proven Natural producers, if I may add). I was temped to order the 2015 DRC La Tache that was listed at a very fair price and significantly below current auction and retail prices in the U.S. but felt it too young. They had a nice selection of German Riesling so I was very happy, 2011 Wittman Morstein went extremely well with the meal.

After a long boisterous meal and many bottles of wine we were informed that weather conditions had worsened and the Range Rover was stuck in a ditch and the truck called into to pull it out of the ditch was now stuck in the lake! The only way out was to walk out through the many streams and flooded roads! Luckily we were all happy and neither my wife nor I fretted about ruining our city slicker shoes or clothes (I can attest Rick Owens holds up well inclement situations). The sommelier grabbed some beers and a group of 15 or so people (our table and the staff) made the 45 minute trek through flooded roads and streams! By the time we made it to the main road we were soaked but so happy! We shared a cab to a bar in town with the couple from Iceland and ended up staying out way, way too late eating pizza and drinking beer…

Pictures on my instagram…

More on the 2nd dinner later.

man you do get around! one of my partners was there in june but is away right now. if she calls in i’ll ask if anything stood out
cheers

If there is a great restaurant, I will travel! Koks fits the bill!

http://koks.fo/en/

Saw a segment about Koks on CBS Sunday Morning a few months ago. Looks great.

I love the Faroe Islands. So beautiful. Sounds like a great restaurant too.

awesome story robert
the trek home sounds like one to truly remember fondly

What an experience!

What an awesome experience Robert. Definitely even more on my bucket list to go to now after reading about your experience.
ps. great photos too!

Is tip included, or how much tip is expected?

Fun. Any connection to one of my favorite modern jazz sextets - Soil & Pimp Sessions?

just flew through Reykjavik myself champagne.gif

sadly, despite Koks cool concept, the only thing I hear about the the Faroes these days, despite their rockish remote beauty, is the Grind

cheers

Funny story. I am a big music geek and I know of the band. When I first heard of their name it made me think of wine and the concept of Terrior. Without giving much thought to it I chose soilpimp for my instragram handle, they were not on IG at the time. I have quite a few mutual friends with the band and we occasionally get mixed up on IG. A friend was on tour in Japan and she brought me back a promo copy of their most recent record with an inscription to me.