Re: Kitchen Appliance Recommendations

#51 Post by Brian Gilp » November 5th, 2018, 8:40 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 5:36 am
Brian Gilp wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 5:30 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 5:18 am

Hi Brian - We also had oven issues with our old Blue Star, but the company claimed, and reviews supported, that those heating problems (evenness and time) had been addressed in the newer Platinum series. We bought one when did the new kitchen, and have been very happy - no perceivable oven problems anymore. I don't know which models of Blue Star oven you have tried, so apologies if this comment is irrelevant and you are still finding problems with the Platinum. It made us very happy to find that the oven was now performing at the level of the burners!
It’s a platinum 48 inch and purchased this spring. It is an evenness problem that isn’t a reason to avoid the product but is bad enough to require turning of sheet pans when baking. Same issue with the broiler.
Ugh, very sorry to hear that. We have the 36 inch model, and have noted a vast improvement in the Platinum series over our old one, where we also had to rotate sheet pans. That's a shame.
Wanted to come back and update this as the evenness problem in the oven seems to be largely resolving itself over time. Its not perfect but its a lot better than it was. For things like the pizza and meatloaf, I no longer feel the need to turn the pan. We baked some cookies a week or two ago and didn't turn the first batch and while it still wasn't perfect, it was acceptable. We did turn the remaining batches just to keep things as consistent as possible.

The broiler remains an uneven mess.

Nathan V.

#52 Post by Nathan V. » November 6th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 25th, 2018, 11:27 am
Blue Star Platinum is the only range we'd ever consider, and worth every penny to us for solid, non-appearance reasons, though they are attractive for sure. I'd say there are several other brands in the same quality level. I don't think one is better than the other, when you've reached that level, they are just different. Whether it's worth it to your BIL is, of course, a matter of personal value.

Not appliances, but I would recommend for anyone designing a kitchen - put in a pot filler and two sinks, if you can.
I'll second both of these. The Blue Star is the best range I've ever used. It's really like a professional kitchen, but the burners take some getting used to if you're not used to that output and open flame.

The pot filler seems like an extravagance, but it is one of our favorite things that we did and we recommend it to anyone who is doing a kitchen re-model.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by NED VALOIS » May 3rd, 2019, 9:25 pm

Our Thermador 48 inch Professional Grill (dual-fuel,proofing oven & convection oven, 4 burners,griddle & grill) is 24 years old & the grill has given up the ghost. Parts needed are not available.
I am looking to replace, choosing between the Thermador , Wolf or Viking in same size & format.
Any opinions on recent purchase by anybody ?

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”