Facebook Groups and food

I know a few of us are in a facebook group dedicated to meat (and sale of meat) but I’m absolutely loving the use of Facebook Groups to sell food. It’s very prevalent among the Chinese community in Los Angeles. There are people who set up facebook groups to sell food from their home, stuff that used to only be sold via word of mouth. I know there are food sanitation concerns etc etc but this aint rural China.

One lady I buy from only makes dumplings. Another does different types of chinese green onion pancakes and stuffed buns.

Yesterday we had dinner from a “delivery” service for homestyle Taiwanese food. They tell you the menu on the facebook group and if they get 10 people confirming, they’ll make it and wait at the local shopping center for hand off. Food that reminds me of Taiwan. Thick cut chunks of fatty pork belly marinated in soy sauce - stir fried cabbage in garlic - stir fry chicken and cucumber. Portion size for four people $25 with rice.

Anyone else have any experience with their area? If any LA people are interested, happy to share the groups via PM (p.s. it’s all in chinese)

Oh man, that sounds awesome. I have nothing to add to this because I’ve never done it and I’m not in LA, but damn, that sound really cool.

This does sound awesome and something that should exist (or perhaps already does) in Houston – the Los Angeles of Texas.

pretty sure there’s one for chinese in Houston. Unfortunately my mom adds me to the groups so I have no clue how to find them. It’s all in chinese.

FB group - i’m not sure… but the service of selling home made food exists in Seattle. not sure if it’s through just word of mouth, or through a FB group.

Do you know of any in the Bay Area?

Du—I just don’t know why you don’t weigh 400 lbs.

Almost there.

Dunno. I think the diversity of the chinese community isn’t as strong as in Los Angeles. So don’t know if there are the same pockets of Home made cuisine

Figured it was worth asking. Thanks anyway!

There’s a chef named Tracy from Malaysia who’s really good at recreating the classics from the region. She hosts dinners on this app called Feastly if you’re interested. I’ve been to a few

edit: in SF

That sounds like it’s $100 and not $10. Lol

$30-40 but yeah things are expensive in startup land :confused: