Salmon Wine Pairing

Invited to dinner tonight with friends just back from the NW where they caught fresh salmon. Any suggestions for wine pairings? We’ll probably bring two bottles. TIA.

Hi Scott,

I’d like a fresh, non-oak PN. In the US you probably have many options.

Or, a good Burg with enough years on it, so that the secondary bits are showing.

I find that riesling, either dry (but not austere), or just off-dry (e.g., a German QbA or Kabinett) works extremely well.

I know lots of people like pinot with salmon, but that would only work for me if the pinot was quite fruity – a New World wine or perhaps some Spatburgunders. Most Burgundy has pretty high acids and, often, some tannins that I find clash with fish.

Of course, a lot depends on how you’re preparing it. With sauces, those dictate the wine more than the fish.

I agree with John that knowledge of the cooking methods (e.g., grilled vs. poached) and sauces would be most useful in determining wine pairings. Without that information, however, I would generally suggest that if you want to bring two bottles, that you bring one white and one red.

For the white, I would suggest a Chablis or a Sancerre, as they’re broadly useful and their flavors are more familiar than Riesling’s flavors to most people, and you haven’t told us anything about your host’s wine preferences.

For the red, I would also suggest a pinot noir from your favorite region, as long as the wine isn’t too tannic; I wouldn’t worry about the acid, as we don’t worry about high acid in whites, when paired with fish, and acid will help cut through the fat in salmon, anyway.

Oregon Pinot. Young, old, pre-menopause, whatever.

Really fatty salmon like King needs acid

David Lett, former and now deceased winemaker from Oregon Eyrie winery loved Pinot Gris with high acid to cut through the fat. I think anything white or red with high acid will do. And of course Champagne is universal and my choice in the summer. In winter love burgundy or Oregon AFWE Pinot. Mike

This - grilled on cedar planks at 350 for 15 minutes, with just some salt/pepper and EVOO drizzled over the salmon before grilling.

Another vote for Oregon Pinot Noir

Thanks for all the suggestions. We went with 2 bottles: a 2015 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords and a 2013 Littorai Pinot Noir Les Larmes. Both bottles paired perfectly!