RÖSTI

On sunday I was at airport Zurich/Kloten buying cheese for my return to Berlin, then I thought its time for the Swiss classic Rösti.

There are around 3 versions of making Rösti. Classic would be to use cooked potatoes from the day before, another version is to use fresh potatoes and grate it and put the grated potatoes in a kitchen towel and squeeze all the liquid. My version is to grate the raw potatoes and not squeeze it, the starch in the potatoes helps to make a perfect Rösti. BTW, I made the other 2 versions too, but I was not convinced with the final product. Finally, don’t be shy using salt. Potato dishes in general need a lot of salt.

Note: use a non-sticking pan or like me an old iron pan.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=1441
Ro9.jpg
ENJOY
Martin

Looks great. A King Kong-sized latke!

I like to soak the shredded potatoes in cold water then remove them to a salad spinner while leaving the water in the soaking bowl. Once the potatoes are removed I gently pour the water off the collected potato starch in the bottom of the bowl and add to some melted butter and diced onion to toss with the now dry potatoes. Love my Swiss bought Rösti grater!

Love rosti. One of my favorites from my 3 months in Zurich. Will try making this in the fall. Thanks!