Truffle hunting - worth it?

Has anyone done it? Was it worth it? If you have, any recommendations? We’re going to be in Alba early November and we’re thinking of a truffle hunt but am unsure if there’s better things I could be doing and whether it’s worth packing a set of clothes to go hiking in the woods or not.

My husband and I did it back in 2009. I don’t remember the name of the guide but my husband thought the whole thing was staged. The man who took us out seemed to know exactly where to look and he seemed genuinely surprised when the dog found one he didn’t push him to find. The hike wasn’t difficult at all and the woods are pretty.

Given the choice to do it all over again, I’d spend the money buying truffles to bring to restaurants or just pay for the supplement at restaurants.

We did it last year in Umbria and had a great time. It wasn’t the best year for truffles but dogs found a few. Cooked up some eggs right there and shaved those truffles on them and popped some champagne. Went back to the farmhouse and had a delicious lunch with more truffles. If you ever go to Umbria, let me know and I’ll look up the name of the place.

We didn’t get to hunt for truffles, but I believe they have a dog or can at least connect you with someone if u need. In any case, their honeys, hazelnuts, and crema di nocciola are FANTASTIC. I think we ended up bringing back 20lbs of products back and had to shuffle our luggage at the airport lol.

Really nice people and it was ridiculously fair pricing to boot.

we hunted for truffles in November 2016. fun night and pretty secretive as to the location. the dogs found a few white truffles and a couple of black.

We did it on 2015 in Piedmont’s. Far more fun than expected. Doubt it was staged.

You don’t get to keep the truffles but we could buy them from the hunter a very good prices. Places allowed BYOTruffle, and I finally got enough because I bought my own truffle.

Thanks for the input, it sounds like a good experience generally.