GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Why sous vide?

#201 Post by RichardFlack » March 2nd, 2019, 8:35 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 9:43 pm
Elliot Steele wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 9:30 pm
This just seems like the Polack method to me. Far more efficient would be the reverse sear method where all the steaks could go in at the same time and you could pull the steaks out as they come to the desired temp. That way you could use your sous vide in the meantime for something its actually good for like the veggies [stirthepothal.gif]
This is the sous vide thread. The redneck steak thread is over there --->

neener
I assume “ go in” means “go in the oven...”?
Yes all kinds of ways to this in regular cooking, but I was asking about Sous Vide specifically. I’m new to it and trying to figure out where it makes sense.

( regarding this suggestion, I guess the cooler temp steaks get a longer resting time, or we all eat at different times? 😀)

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » March 13th, 2019, 12:40 pm

The recent America's Test Kitchen episode "Sous Vide for Everybody" is available online:

Features how to sous vide NY strip steaks and 167°F/75°C eggs (the best temp IMHO), as well as reviewing various immersion circulators.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/epi ... 0A0AVT5RC4
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#203 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » March 14th, 2019, 12:58 pm

ATLANTIC SALMON: Dry-brined in 4:1 salt:sugar x 10 min, rinsed & dried, and sous vide 118°F x 40 min ChefSteps' Thai Green Curry sauce (lemongrass, garlic, ginger, dates, Thai bird chilies), with raw red pepper-cilantro-mint salad and rice. Not the prettiest plating, but quick and tasty.
Attachments
2019-0313 Sous vide farmed Atlantic salmon in ChefSteps JouleReady Thai Green Curry sauce, rice, bell pepper salad (for Amanda in Waltham).jpg
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”