Has anyone used a smoker gun? Thoughts?

Is this simply another shiny gadget that you’ll stop using after a few weeks, or have you found it to be really useful?

Bruce

It is another tool in the arsenal but is very versatile. I would not recommend it to anyone who isn’t already cooking at a pretty high level. You have to ask yourself a couple things, do you already have applications where you would use it? Would you use it often enough?

For me it serves a very important niche but if you find yourself asking what cold smoking is, then it isn’t for you. The very best seared scallops I’ve made involved a step of cold smoking with the gun. Keep in mind there are cocktail uses too…

I have one. Agree with Kenny’s line of thinking.

I’ve never done cold-smoked scallops. I have done cold-smoked Arctic char. Cut fish into small pieces, apply a rub of salt/sugar/dill. Sous vide small pieces of the fish to rare (something like 20 minutes at 110 degrees). The put about two pieces of the fish on a bamboo skewer that I’ve cut down to fit in a mason jar. Place in the jar, run the smoking gun for a couple seconds per jar, place lid on. I serve it this way, usually with some sort of side component. Folks open up the jars, lovely smell of smoke fills the room, and the fish have the absolutely DIVINE texture and a nice kiss of smoke.

I’ve used it for cocktails as well. Rather than infuse the liquid I just smoke the glass and then add the already-mixed cocktail. I’d love to hear from anyone who has actually smoked the cocktail itself.

I’ve also cold-smoked applesauce. I don’t recall the recipe but it was not like “apple sauce as a side”, but more like “a sauce made of apples that you could use on meat”. In this case, pork chops.

Took the already-prepared applesauce and placed the end of the Smoking Gun hose in. Moved it around in the liquid for 30 seconds or so. Let it set up for a while in the fridge… had a nice smoky flavor. Took some playing to find the right level of smoke.

One thing I tried and failed miserably at was using herbs instead of wood chips. I used rosemary and instead of smoking it basically produced this nasty resin that clogged the screen of the gun. It’s possible that I used fresh rosemary instead of dried, which wouldn’t have helped. May try again though with dried rosemary. The application I have in mind is infusing rack of lamb with a hint of rosemary. I’d think it could work on other meats though.

Kenny, I’d love to know what other applications you’ve found for it. I don’t use it as much as I’ve wound down my arms race of all things “gastro-“ and am just focusing more on basic technique, such as nailing a roasted chicken, pan-seared hangar steak, etc. But am always game to break it out and try something new.

I’ve also thought about getting one but don’t think I’d actually use it much. The reason I initially considered it was when I read about a guy making smoked homemade noodles. I don’t think he was using a gun though. Just lighting some chips in an aluminum pan, adding a steamer pan above it then closing the lid and sealing with plastic wrap.

Can you share details – wood type, time in the smoke, preparation afterward? Thanks!

Gunnar Karl Gislason, chef at Restaurant Dill in Reykjavik, uses this technique extensively in his (excellent) cookbook “North: The New Nordic Cuisine of Iceland”. He extends it to combustible items other than just wood chips; I recall hay and onion peels in particular.

I haven’t tried the technique yet. Maybe it’s time.

I’ve done amazing smoked salmon with it. Salt and sugar cure on the salmon, rinse and dry. Put the salmon in a large ziplock and fill with smoke. Put in the fridge until the smoke settles out and repeat until your desired level of smoke, I usually do it five or six times. I also use it on polenta, cover the pan of cooked polenta with plastic wrap and blow in the smoke, when the smoke settles add more smoke. Stir the polenta and continue until desired smoke level. It does add smoke flavor but it is more subtle than a full blown smoker. Not for everything but I love mine.

Well yes, Tim, I can. I get the scallops as dry as I can and give them a good salt, not heavy, normal seasoning. Get a ziploc ready. 3hrs of applewood smoke at 100F. I am repeating smoke injections about every 30 and I use my warming drawer for temp. They should be well bronzed at the finish. Remove and vac pack then sous vide at 125 for 30 minutes, no more. Remove and dry very thoroughly. Get that cast going and sear the crap out of one side only with a good bit of ghee in the pan, wait for the thick crust. They taste like they are grilled but have the most amazing texture.
93301695-6B59-4587-A123-A99854431EF1.jpeg

Sounds great!