Poaching lobster tails

If you guys use white burg to poach lobster tails, what type do you use? I was thinking a decent Bourgogne Blanc?

d’Yquem.

Oh, cooking them. I read the title and thought it was about stealing them.

Gallo Chablis. Only the best!

Land O Lakes, butter that is.

Are you at all worried about the acid cooking the very permeable and delicate lobster if you go too long before or during?

I found a recipe where they make the poaching sauce with some white wine and precook the lobster tails with a quick 2 min boil before poaching in the sauce with a bit of wine, a lot of butter and other ingredients. I guess something flavorful would be best.

I wouldn’t poach lobster in wine. I think it would make the meat tough.

And if I were going to poach anything in white wine, I would avoid anything that has seen any oak.

Lobster and scallops are best treated simply. Boil a lobster fresh from the ocean, crack open, serve with melted (or drawn) butter. Scallops you can add a silky sauce of saffron and butter. Over pasta. That is as far as I would go.

I agree with Merrill. I do think food generally should be cooked simply using really good ingredients. Good lobster does not need anything fancy or special – in fact when fancy sauces and preparations are added, I may enjoy the sauce but find the lobster itself to be less present. Of course, if you don’t like the taste of lobster, you may feel differently, but then why pay the premium for it?

I will say I once poach lobster in butter (I think this is a Thomas Keller recipe?) – it was pretty good, though I am not sure it was worth all of the effort.

I like lobster cooked in most ways;grilled is fantastic as well. However, the best lobster I’ve had has been poached.

If you want to add any wine, add just a little bit (a tablespoon or so) for flavor. I did sauteed scallops last week in melted butter, and the recipe called for adding a tablespoon to the butter after the first flip at 2 minutes. It added just a hint of wine flavor but didn’t overpower.

Bruce

That sounds nice.

rarely have I had tender lobster, much prefer red king crab legs.