Favorite way to cook steak poll

What is your absolute favorite steak cooking method

• Traditional direct heat on grill (gas or charcoal)
  • Reverse Sear
  • Sous Vide and Sear
  • Cast Iron (including Cast Iron to oven)
  • Under the Broiler
  • Steak Tartare
  • Boiled
  • I never cook Steak at home
  • Vegetarian or Vegan
  • Meat is Murder
  • Brett Favre

0 voters

There are lots of threads dealing with steak preparation, methods, etc. I was curious to see a bit of data on what are the overall favorite methods people use. I think I covered most of the methods here, but of course there is no such thing as an unflawed poll.

I had wanted to do a two part question, but I think I would have to create a whole 'nother thread for the second question which is “Which method do you actually use the most.” However that is probably only a valid questions for the sous viders- which may be impractical for some situations due to time.

For getting a consistent medium rare interior with a nice crust on the outside, it’s hard to beat the reverse sear finished on a screaming hot cast iron skillet. The one element it misses is the smokiness of the grill.

If I had a dedicated smoker, I would like to experiment with smoking the steak over low heat until the interior reached 125 degrees or so, then putting on the hot cast iron skillet. I would like to see if using the smoker in this way would impart the smokiness you would get from direct placement on the grill.

Bruce

Reverse sear to rare plus then quick sear.

I have been doing best with stove top sear, then transfer to a new pan and place in oven till 120-125. The carryover heat from using the same pan made the steak over cooked on one side

I’ll have to try that. I’ve also been doing the (unlisted option) of a non-cast iron pan on the stove with frequent flipping and then the oven and I experience the same issue.

Favorite way is on a tuscan grill within the wood burning oven, but that takes hours of prep, so the most common for us reverse sear.

Flawed poll - Forward sear - 4 alternating minutes flipping over heat then indirect.

I sear and then put in a low oven on a wire rack that fits a sheet pan. No grill available and any method that creates smoke is out of the question.

Thanks to reccs here, I tried reverse sear, and I doubt I’ll ever go back.

This

May not be the preferred way of the experts here, but Juan and I had a way that they always turn out good. I use foil and generously coat both sides with EVOO salt, pepper and garlic powder. Leave it on the foil on the grill and turn it once.

Past: whatever thickness the Costco steaks are, hot Homer Simpson Weber, 3 minutes each side.

Now: sous vide to 128 degrees, sear on cast iron skillet.

Favorite - direct heat on the grill first… finish on the cool side.

most used - sear in cast iron then finish on a rack on a sheet pan in the oven so air can circulate around it and no residual heat from the pan.

I most frequently cook steaks that are about an inch thick (but I try to avoid anything thinner), and find that at for steaks thinner than 1-1/2” to 2”, I can get both very even doneness (almost no gray) and a good sear with just direct heat on the grill with frequent turns and rotations. For a thicker steak, I usually go with a reverse sear with frequent turns and rotations when on the sear step.

I get the want for grill application but can’t get reverse sear results this way. My solution is for indirect heat on a woodfired grill, then low temp oven, then sear. It might be splitting hairs depending on the direct heat but the difference is there.

I would also add in relation to the method I mentioned, there are different ways to incorporate a reverse sear and it can depend on the recipe you are doing as opposed to just a straightforward steak. I advocate reverse sear in all cases, but there are modifications to be made on the front end or back end as needed.

It really depends on the thickness and cut of the steak. For something not too thick, I follow Brian’s method. If it gets thicker than about 1.5 - 2 inches, I think a reverse sear is better, because you just can’t cook properly all the way through on a direct grill from the start.

Sear on grill, finish in oven.

How done are you guys cooking these reverse-seared steaks? Dark red (rare) in the middle, or pink (medium) in the middle?

yep, this. perhaps other methods are slightly better, but this is so easy.

I cook to 115 - 120. I like my steak on the rare side.