Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

Salt & Pepper - What do you use?

#51 Post by Betty C » June 22nd, 2018, 12:46 pm

David K o l i n wrote:
Dave McIsaac wrote:
P. Willenberg wrote:
You do need to have a high flash point for his politics. He's pretty close minded.
He is everything he rails about as being divisive, etc.
Bill is an unapologetic anti-Trump liberal and talks about it. He does represent and old line Wisconsin political class that way. If you don't want to read such stuff, Penzey's may not be for you. If you do, have at it. His positions have generally been very good for his business
I started getting the famous emails and I haven't seen anything particularly close-minded or divisive yet. In fact, I find them to be quite the opposite. champagne.gif
Ch00

David Wright

#52 Post by David Wright » June 22nd, 2018, 12:57 pm

Bill is an unapologetic anti-Trump liberal
Just signed up for the emails. [cheers.gif]

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by NED VALOIS » June 22nd, 2018, 3:21 pm

Rob,
Order in, Thanks.

TimF

Re: Salt & Pepper - What do you use?

#54 Post by TimF » November 1st, 2018, 1:45 pm

Anyone ever try Moshio salt? Just saw it on "Salt Fat Acid Heat".
Tim F@itsch

D@v!d P@rt@!n

#55 Post by D@v!d P@rt@!n » November 12th, 2018, 7:49 pm

This.
Attachments
download.png
download.png (6.96 KiB) Viewed 328 times
ITB: Todd did not send me a bill

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Michae1 P0wers » November 14th, 2018, 12:01 pm

I use Morton kosher. Diamond used to be a rarity here while Morton's was ubiquitous, so I became used to Morton's. Flake salt for finishing or fleur de sel.

I'm a big fan of Penzey's telicherry peppercorns. And their politics. I just ordered some of their flake salt to try it out because I needed to top up an order to get the freebies.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 14th, 2018, 3:07 pm

To the folks who prefer Diamond over Morton's, can you please tell me why? Is there any reason other than a volume measurement of Morton's will be saltier than the same volume measurement of Diamond?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

TimF

#58 Post by TimF » November 14th, 2018, 6:28 pm

It’s explained on Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. For the same weight, Diamond Crystal has roughly double the volume.
Tim F@itsch

saul_cooperstein

#59 Post by saul_cooperstein » November 16th, 2018, 9:09 am

For salt:

Standard: Morton’s kosher
Fries: Morton’s iodized
Finishing: Maldon
Meat finishing: Dario’s

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Poppy Davis » November 16th, 2018, 9:18 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 3:07 pm
To the folks who prefer Diamond over Morton's, can you please tell me why? Is there any reason other than a volume measurement of Morton's will be saltier than the same volume measurement of Diamond?
It's easier to layer the salt at each step of the cooking process without the dish being oversalted. It's just more forgiving. With Morton's it's way too easy to oversalt a dish. I suppose if that's what you are used to you can adjust, but I prefer the flexibility of Diamond.
Poppy Davis Fruchtman, formerly ITB

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 16th, 2018, 12:21 pm

TimF wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 6:28 pm
It’s explained on Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat. For the same weight, Diamond Crystal has roughly double the volume.
But once you understand that, is it really that hard to adjust?

Aside: I am a salt freak. I have a salt tooth, as opposed to a sweet tooth. And it's nonetheless quite easy for me to not over salt my dishes when cooking them. Are folks afraid of adding salt to the food at the table? Are folks obsessed with "nailing it" w/r/t salt level in the composed dish?

P.S.: I realize all bets are off the table if we're talking about baking, which requires a certain level of precision.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » November 18th, 2018, 7:01 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 3:07 pm
All these small crystal salts dissolve very quickly, which is why they are not considered "finishing salts" (like smoked Malden sea salt, which is my favorite). When they've dissolved, they taste exactly the same. The main reason chefs commonly use Diamond is that it has bigger crystals than common table salt, so it is easier to control how much you are adding using your fingers. And by using the same salt all the time you can be consistent in how much you add. You could certainly use either, but it is best to stick to one.

I get most of my spices at World Spice Merchants https://www.worldspice.com in Seattle, which has personalized service and a better selection than Penzey's, even thought the latter has a location in Boston.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Rob Isaacs

#63 Post by Rob Isaacs » November 18th, 2018, 9:31 am

+1 on World Spice, they do a great job. The Urfa Biber pepper is so good a very unique, if you haven't tried it your missing out.

saul_cooperstein

#64 Post by saul_cooperstein » November 18th, 2018, 10:02 am

I think the other difference between Morton’s kosher and diamond is that Morton’s has an anti-clumping agent while diamond is just salt

T. Williams

#65 Post by T. Williams » December 23rd, 2018, 4:44 am

saul_cooperstein wrote:
November 18th, 2018, 10:02 am
I think the other difference between Morton’s kosher and diamond is that Morton’s has an anti-clumping agent while diamond is just salt
Saul - I'm not sure about Diamond, but you are correct that Morton's uses yellow prussiate of soda (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_ferrocyanide) as an anti caking additive. In the grand scheme of things, not generally the type of substance I like to put into my body but....

(Being waxing poetic to whomever wants to listen) I am a Morton's guy because that is what was on the shelf and readily available when I started seriously cooking. Most cooks use Diamond and I've tried to make the switch a handful of times, but after years of using and being used to a certain size crystal it is really hard to make the switch. It is like having your shoes on the wrong feet.

As far as being "more salty", once you are used to it, you just make slight adjustments in the recipes and always salt to taste. Think about this one for a minute, most of your mom's and grandma's recipes were probably created around Morton's Iodized salt. Which means if you are using Diamond you need to double the salt to stay consistent. Unless the recipe or cookbook specifically addresses salt, its going to be a crap shoot away. I think that's why in SFAH the underlying mantra is taste, taste, and taste again.

TW
Tim W.
Eat.Drink.Play.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”