150th tabasco

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
johngonzales
Posts: 6721
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: 150th tabasco

#51 Post by johngonzales » December 8th, 2018, 9:33 am

Damn, as an aficionado of heat, that looks good Kenny. I love a little fruity character with the fire.

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3332
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

Re: 150th tabasco

#52 Post by Kenny H » December 9th, 2018, 7:08 pm

johngonzales wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 9:33 am
Damn, as an aficionado of heat, that looks good Kenny. I love a little fruity character with the fire.
John! Absolutely. I have limited need for fruity, sugar laden, all vinegar, no name hot sauces, I want flavor. A good portion of the peppers here were brought back from a Martinique sailing trip, and these were second year plants as I wintered them indoors then put them back in the ground. There is wonderful citrus flavor and layered complex heat that builds slowly. This batch was fermented for 60 days and no pasteurization.
H0eve!kamp

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 415
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Re: 150th tabasco

#53 Post by Ron Slye » December 9th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Looks and sounds delicious!

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2682
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Re: 150th tabasco

#54 Post by Mike Cohen » December 9th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Fascinated

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1394
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: New Orleans

Re: 150th tabasco

#55 Post by Jason T » December 9th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Kenny H wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 7:36 pm
Last batch of the season and damn is it good!

BD79CDA0-1752-4196-B19C-6DF46DE64DAE.jpeg

Scotch bonnets from Martinique, red jalapeños, small amount of fataliis from Africa. Fermented with carrots and navel oranges.

Super smooth but hot as hell. I vitamixed these with the ferment liquid, proprietary spices, white vinegar, and a touch of xanthan gum to maintain emulsion. The result is still pure pepper flavor.
Kenny did you blend the carrots and oranges as well? Also what flavor elements are you looking for the carrots to contribute?
J@son Tr@ughber

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6225
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Re: 150th tabasco

#56 Post by Drew Goin » December 9th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Kenny H wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 7:36 pm
Last batch of the season and damn is it good!

BD79CDA0-1752-4196-B19C-6DF46DE64DAE.jpeg

Scotch bonnets from Martinique, red jalapeños, small amount of fataliis from Africa. Fermented with carrots and navel oranges.

Super smooth but hot as hell. I vitamixed these with the ferment liquid, proprietary spices, white vinegar, and a touch of xanthan gum to maintain emulsion. The result is still pure pepper flavor.

Wow!!!

I love hot sauce, and keep several types in my fridge for different applications. Tabasco is good for gumbo and red beans & rice, while Crystal or Louisiana Hot Sauce is for jambalaya and pizza. I like the DL Jardine's "Texas Kicker" Habanero Sauce for meatball subs and sweeter sauced foods. I have never been one for hot sauce on my eggs, however.


I have to say, of all the ambitious hobbies I have tried to pick up, the idea of making my own hot sauce never occurred to me. Now I am seriously considering it. :)

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3332
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

Re: 150th tabasco

#57 Post by Kenny H » December 10th, 2018, 6:45 am

Jason T wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 9:20 pm
Kenny did you blend the carrots and oranges as well? Also what flavor elements are you looking for the carrots to contribute?
Yes, all went in. Looking to get some sweetness from the carrots and oranges. Now, the lacto eat those up of course, but I can assure you there is a big change in the flavor profile when adding these. Any trace of bitter is ameliorated, smooths the palate.
H0eve!kamp

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2682
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Re: 150th tabasco

#58 Post by Mike Cohen » December 10th, 2018, 7:36 am

Drew Goin wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 10:24 pm
I have never been one for hot sauce on my eggs, however.
Interesting. Eggs are the first thing that come to mind for hot sauce.

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 25477
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: 150th tabasco

#59 Post by Anton D » December 12th, 2018, 11:40 am

Kenny H wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 7:36 pm
Last batch of the season and damn is it good!

BD79CDA0-1752-4196-B19C-6DF46DE64DAE.jpeg

Scotch bonnets from Martinique, red jalapeños, small amount of fataliis from Africa. Fermented with carrots and navel oranges.

Super smooth but hot as hell. I vitamixed these with the ferment liquid, proprietary spices, white vinegar, and a touch of xanthan gum to maintain emulsion. The result is still pure pepper flavor.
Just looking at them is delicious! [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

User avatar
vincentz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 138
Joined: November 25th, 2014, 5:48 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: 150th tabasco

#60 Post by vincentz » December 21st, 2018, 3:31 pm

Got six - thanks for the heads up. Look forward to using with NYE Gumbo.
V. Z e r i n g u e

User avatar
Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1742
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 7:49 am
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: 150th tabasco

#61 Post by Scott Watkins » January 11th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Alright I have a long overdue tasting note on Kenny's homemade brew. Sorry Kenny would have done it weeks ago but I popped the inside of my lower lip and man it took a long time to heal. Anyways I tried this with eggs on Tuesday and what a fantastic match and a great way to wake up the morning! Did fried chicken on Wednesday and it paired beautifully, I'm getting a lot of pepper and pepper heat but on the palate it is surprisingly smooth almost silky/creamy. Also other spices seem to be coming through that adds some complexity to the strong Scotch bonnet flavor. Warning this stuff is hot really hot but right up my alley. I have to say this is easily the best Tabasco I have ever had, and because it is so smooth it would probably even make a cookie better [wow.gif]

Anyways Kenny thank you for the bottle, pretty sure it won't last until the end of the week and I will send you as much money as you want if you can part with another bottle or 3?!? Yeah I would take 6 but I don't want to push my luck flirtysmile
Pruning the vine is a primordial gesture through which man passes from barbarity to culture.

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3332
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

Re: 150th tabasco

#62 Post by Kenny H » January 11th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Scott Watkins wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:03 pm
Alright I have a long overdue tasting note on Kenny's homemade brew. Sorry Kenny would have done it weeks ago but I popped the inside of my lower lip and man it took a long time to heal. Anyways I tried this with eggs on Tuesday and what a fantastic match and a great way to wake up the morning! Did fried chicken on Wednesday and it paired beautifully, I'm getting a lot of pepper and pepper heat but on the palate it is surprisingly smooth almost silky/creamy. Also other spices seem to be coming through that adds some complexity to the strong Scotch bonnet flavor. Warning this stuff is hot really hot but right up my alley. I have to say this is easily the best Tabasco I have ever had, and because it is so smooth it would probably even make a cookie better [wow.gif]

Anyways Kenny thank you for the bottle, pretty sure it won't last until the end of the week and I will send you as much money as you want if you can part with another bottle or 3?!? Yeah I would take 6 but I don't want to push my luck flirtysmile
[thankyou.gif] I need an arm flex emoji! Todd with your guns where is it?

I am so glad you like it! This encapsulates why I garden and make food, the satisfaction of others that I relish is worth far more than the effort expended. Yes, I do it for myself because we go through tons of hot sauce (plus it is another hobby to hone) but the quantity is all about sharing. The sheer enjoyment I get from this sort of arrangement, or having people around town ask me if they can barter for some because they heard through the grapevine, can't have a price put on it. But then again as much money as I want is enticing, lol.

The smoothness comes from the fermented navel orange strangely enough. The texture is due to the fact that there is so much pepper mass in the mash, it blends up thick and not only is a touch of xanthan gum necessary to hold the emulsion, it is necessary to reduce viscosity and allow it to flow through the dripper. There really isn't much for spices in there, it's mostly homemade chipotle powder (1/4tsp or so) to add some smokiness which I think is subtle but comes through.

Wait until you try it on some vegetarian or meat heavy pizza!

I have to check with my existing clients and inventory but we can surely get you some more. I'll be in socal next week and I have devised a so far successful way to smuggle through TSA precheck, lol.
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1742
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 7:49 am
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: 150th tabasco

#63 Post by Scott Watkins » January 11th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Kenny H wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 4:33 pm
Scott Watkins wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 1:03 pm
Alright I have a long overdue tasting note on Kenny's homemade brew. Sorry Kenny would have done it weeks ago but I popped the inside of my lower lip and man it took a long time to heal. Anyways I tried this with eggs on Tuesday and what a fantastic match and a great way to wake up the morning! Did fried chicken on Wednesday and it paired beautifully, I'm getting a lot of pepper and pepper heat but on the palate it is surprisingly smooth almost silky/creamy. Also other spices seem to be coming through that adds some complexity to the strong Scotch bonnet flavor. Warning this stuff is hot really hot but right up my alley. I have to say this is easily the best Tabasco I have ever had, and because it is so smooth it would probably even make a cookie better [wow.gif]

Anyways Kenny thank you for the bottle, pretty sure it won't last until the end of the week and I will send you as much money as you want if you can part with another bottle or 3?!? Yeah I would take 6 but I don't want to push my luck flirtysmile
[thankyou.gif] I need an arm flex emoji! Todd with your guns where is it?

I am so glad you like it! This encapsulates why I garden and make food, the satisfaction of others that I relish is worth far more than the effort expended. Yes, I do it for myself because we go through tons of hot sauce (plus it is another hobby to hone) but the quantity is all about sharing. The sheer enjoyment I get from this sort of arrangement, or having people around town ask me if they can barter for some because they heard through the grapevine, can't have a price put on it. But then again as much money as I want is enticing, lol.

The smoothness comes from the fermented navel orange strangely enough. The texture is due to the fact that there is so much pepper mass in the mash, it blends up thick and not only is a touch of xanthan gum necessary to hold the emulsion, it is necessary to reduce viscosity and allow it to flow through the dripper. There really isn't much for spices in there, it's mostly homemade chipotle powder (1/4tsp or so) to add some smokiness which I think is subtle but comes through.

Wait until you try it on some vegetarian or meat heavy pizza!

I have to check with my existing clients and inventory but we can surely get you some more. I'll be in socal next week and I have devised a so far successful way to smuggle through TSA precheck, lol.
Well you did send me a bottle and I loved it so I think that makes me a client [highfive.gif] And I forgot to mention that I put a few drops on a slice of ripe mango and it was a little bit of heaven! I did grow up in So Cal and those sweet hot Mexican candies had some influence on my palate [thankyou.gif]
Pruning the vine is a primordial gesture through which man passes from barbarity to culture.

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3332
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

Re: 150th tabasco

#64 Post by Kenny H » January 11th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Scott Watkins wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Well you did send me a bottle and I loved it so I think that makes me a client [highfive.gif] And I forgot to mention that I put a few drops on a slice of ripe mango and it was a little bit of heaven! I did grow up in So Cal and those sweet hot Mexican candies had some influence on my palate [thankyou.gif]
True! On a slice of ripe mango? Dude that is some serious chef'ing. I'm seriously impressed and need to try it. That's the beauty of using these caribbean type peppers, their flavor profile does match up to more tropical faire. But I would have never thought of that one because I was raised in Iowa. [smileyvault-ban.gif]
H0eve!kamp

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”