Restaurant Rec South of Newark, NJ?

Flying to Newark solo on Business shortly. I had dinner plans tonight at my final destination, but wont make it. I’ll be heading southbound by car from Newark, but looking to eat shortly after landing.

Any recommendations for a place I can grab couple decent glasses and food, solo, on a somewhat conservative expense account?

Ironbound area in Newark for Spanish/Portugese

South of Newark is really tough. Where are you staying?
Kitchen Steps in Jersey City has great food, but an iffy wine list.

If you are going to be as far south as New Brunswick, Stage Left.

Heading to Princeton. By the time I get there most places will be closing up.

Stage Left would be on your way. That’s your best bet

Head to Maplewood and go to Arturo’s for pizza and pasta.

Be aware, that I called the other night at about 4pm…(they open at 5:30 I think) to order pick up. Here is what they told me…

“Sure! We can have your pie ready at…7:30PM”

THAT is how many people love this place.

A bit heavy, but the best pizza I’ve ever had. I DO love the thin crust pizza, but this is not thin crust. Just delicious everything.

Kenilworth: La Grigia (great wine list and by the glass) eat at the bar. Solid food all the way around…right off exit 138 of the Garden State Parkway. I live about 3 blocks from this place and we go 2-3 times per month.

Princeton: Blue Point Grill for oysters and fish etc.

Honestly, I think that you would have exactly what you want at the bar at La Griglia. It will be easy to get to and not far from EWR at all. Probably take you 15 minutes to get there and pretty much on your way.

Sitting at the bar at La Grigia right now. Landed, was hungry and went with the closest option. Terre Nere Rosato, Verduno Langhe Nebbiolo, and a Ricotta Gnocchi Bolognese worked out nicely for me. Thanks for the reco Steve.

Yes, we usually go to Seabra’s Marisqueira for Portuguese.

Marcus Samuelson has a new restaurant in Newark we haven’t been to yet - Marcus B&P.

Depending on date and time I highly recommend Heirloom Kitchen in Old Bridge. They are BYO but carry the wines of one producer I’m not familiar with. Great duck. But they’re only open for dinner Friday to Sunday.

Good wine by the glass program IIR
I think they corovin the bottles to give more options

Glad you like it Chris! Convenient/easy to get to as well. And, they sometimes do 50% off any wine > $150/bottle. Some holidays or when bad weather. Food is heavy, IMO, but well made.

Tony,

Any relation to Ralph Gigante, who goes there quite often?