Inventing foods - Oxymoron sandwiches and other "you did what?"

I like to cook, but I especially like to make things that are clashes of different cuisines or cultures that are not meant to mix. For those of you who have attended Berserkerfests in my back yard, you have probably had one of my first such creations, which has definitely stood the test of time - Oxymoron Sandwiches (Smoked Pulled Pork on a Challah Roll with Cole Slaw on top). Other creations include Deep Fried Cajun Matzoh Balls (for the Long Island Kosher BBQ Championships). Today I decided to go at it again. Rolled pork roast stuffed with a hamburger/matzoh meal blend and, just to complete the culture clash, fresh ground Ras el Hanout North African spice blend. It’s going in the smoker as we speak, so to speak.

Anyone create anything equally polyglot-ish?

No.

A friend had a bar mitzvah with bacon-wrapped scallops as appetizer.

Need to look for your Berserkerfests, Jay! Your creations sound awesome.

I mix fountain soda flavors to make my own concoctions.
I put Jumbo shrimp (get it?) salad on matzoh during Passover.
I mix tuna and egg salad.
I sometimes invert pizza so that I get the cheese taste on my tongue instead of the bottom.

I made some at the suggestion of Nola, and added a few dashes of sherry vinegar–really helps make it “pop.” Also added some finely chopped capers.

Bruce

Hillbilly Benedict…hash browns, topped w/BBQ/smoked pork- sauce optional - poached egg on top.

JD

I’d be in for this…

BBQ sauce makes almost anything better. Except, of course, for good BBQ.

+1

That sounds pretty great actually.

You might enjoy the Le Pigeon cookbook as a common tactic they use is to sub in offal in a modern classic such as Sweetbreads done Buffalo Wing style.

Pigeon offal sounds awful, and seems a redundant term.

I love sweetbreads but I can never find them in the butcher shops. They are also notoriously hard to make. I have not done it for over 30 years.

nah, squab is great. After you take the breasts out, simmer the carcass, heart, lung and liver in a bit of vermouth and water. cool then pick out the bones, pack into a terrine with butter or duck fat, seasoning and chill with a weight. spread on toast and drink Riesling.

Are they really hard to find? I can think of two places to easily get them in Portland. lamb too, even.

I’ve never had issues cooking them. I do an overnight soak in buttermilk then toss in an Asian fry mix (seasoned rice and potato flours). then fry like fish. I’d rank them easier than Octopus to cook well.