Another silly photo essay - PASTRAMI!

Being lazy, I decided to go with the cheap industrial made brisket available at the store and smoke it for a Pastrami on the Big Green Egg. Here’s the opening photos taken with the crappy cell phone since I still can’t get the Nikon D850 I want.

Here’s the store bought flat cut corned beef. I would have preferred the fattier point cut, but for some reason unknown, all the stores I went to were selling only the “healthier” flat cut.
Raw Corned Beef.jpg
I ground my own spices blend of coriander and black pepper, and then added paprika. Why paprika? I don’t really remember, but I have a recollection from past efforts that it works well.
Spices for Pastrami.jpg
Then I rubbed in the corned beef with a full coating of the spice blend. This is fat side up. A lot of the spices fall of the underside after rubbing in, so I may flip it over and re-rub half way through, but I will start smoking it fat side up.
Pastrami rubbed in.jpg
Start the BGE and set it for 176 degrees. How do you set the BGE? Once you’ve replaced the gasket three times, you get a feel for it, but then you still have to adjust it after 30 minutes. This wood blend is Royal Oak charcoal and air dried White Plains oak that has been sitting in my back yard since Hurricane Sandy. Aluminum pan with water in the bottom on top of an upside down broken plate setter for the BGE. No direct heat. Cover closed at 11:51 am, EDT. I’m going out to run some errands and will check back in a few hours. The temp has equalized at 150 degrees so I am opening up the bottom damper just a quarter inch to increase the temp slightly.
Pastrami on the BGE.jpg

I order to evaluate the meat, and your cooking skills, when can I come over for a taste??? flirtysmile

So, Jay, how did it turn out?!?