Strasbourg

Heading into Strasbourg for a day next month and want to know where we should eat. If Alan Eden or anyone else could chime in with some suggestions that would be great.

McDonalds-France-1024x695.jpg
Remember in France its a Royale with cheese

You asked for it. Steakhouses in Strasbourg:

Jeremy,

I live in the area just on the German side of the border. Here a few tipps.

1. Restaurant Buerehisel. 1 star Michelin, 16 points Gault Millau. Once it had 3 stars under the leadership of the father Antoine Westerman. Now the son is chef. Many think its still the best Restaurant in town. Prices are not too high.

2. Le Colbert. Bip Gourmand Guide Michelin, 14 points Gault Millau. Very Good quality and top QPR.

3. Brasserie des Haras. 14 Points Gault Millau. Very chick designed Brasserie but very good food as well.

4. La Casserole, 13 points Gault Millau. Very good quality and very good prices at Lunchtime.

For more and better information contact Panos Kakaviatos, wine blogger (www.wine-chronicles.com) and author for Decanter Magazine. He is active on this board as well and lives in Strasbourg.

+1 on Brasserie Les Haras. Modern ambiance, but the moderately-priced foods are mainly classics. In spite of the large venue, seems to be a popular local destination and it can fill up.

Jeremy,

Not in Strasbourg, but not far away in Bergheim, we had a wonderful meal with Panos, Michael Lux and others in Bergheim at the Wistub du Sommelier. http://www.wistub-du-sommelier.com/restaurant.html Food was great, atmosphere was great (we ate outside), company was great. Some of the wines we got off their list and some we brought - don’t know if that is always allowed there or Panos or Michael got something arranged for us. He is a recap of our trip to Alsace. A day touring a fairy tale land - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I know that this does not meet your criteria. It is not a steakhouse and I doubt it serves US Cabernet fruit bombs. But, this is the best I could do.

I still remember my meal at Beurheisel many years ago when it was 3*. My tasting menu was awesome and my wife’s vegetarian tasting menu was one of her two best meals ever, and even better than mine. I was never jealous of her food other than this one meal. Glad to hear it’s still considered good if not 3*

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Slight thread highjack: There used to be place in Wissembourg that had fabulous tart flambé. It’s gone now. Any recommendations in Alsace for an outstanding version of this Alsatian treat?

I noticed that each town we set foot on will have 2 or 3 restaurants claiming the best tart flambé in the region. I’ll just chime in with the one where we walked into and where we actually had the dish and it was awesome. In Ribeauville, the restaurant is Winstub La Flammerie.

In prior visit to the region, had a good one at Ribeauville, too, at Resturant L’Ami Fritz.

We were there in July 2015, the hottest it had been since 1947. We just couldn’t handle the traditional Alsatian cuisine and ended up at “La Riviere.” Small, quaint lovely - Franco-Vietnamese sommelier,co-owner, wife/chef/co-owner was Persian.
Food was excellent Fusion of French/Persian/Asian : wine was well selected, largely bio - Francoise Bedel, Bobinet, Fanny Sabre among others. Distinctive and delicious, highly recommended.

FIFY

I was in Ribeauville today and sat down at the La Flammerie for a tarte flambee. Big disappointment once we got the menu because there was no tarte flambee offered. We asked and they said that they decided not to offer it any more a few years ago. The dishes they were serving to other tables looked gorgeous, but we had decided we wanted a tarte flambee today, so we stood up and after a little walk along the Grand’rue we ended up at l’Ami Fritz and were quite happy with their tartes flambees.

Friday evening at Les Haras in Strasbourg and we had a wonderful dinner there, in a cozy small table inside “la yourte”. Food was excellent.

Surprised that no one mentioned l’Auberge de l’Ill. True, it’s not in Strasbourg but it is in that general neighbourhood and is very very special.

Ps: if you ever make it to brussels, this restaurant strikes me as very Jeremy Holmes-esque: http://caffealdente.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/New-CAFFE-AL-DENTE-CARTE-VINS-212118-copy-3.pdf

A little late to this, but Le Comptoir a Manger is a must for Strasbourg. Tiny place, though, so definitely make a reservation.

They also sell a McBaguette.

A long time ago, but I still remember the frog’s legs at Buerhiesel flirtysmile

Indeed, the frog’s legs (with chervil if I remember correctly) was spectacular, and was the signature dish at Buerhiesel. Ate it twice on separate occasions. The wine list was encyclopedic, as befits a 3 star, and listed the '61 and '78 Jaboulet La Chapelle. Perhaps the cellar is still worthy of a visit.

+1