Just picked up my 100 day dry aged rib today

Local butcher is willing, price is great. Had him cut the entire rib into 8 steaks.
Will eat the first one as a sliced appetizer thursday or over the weekend.
For fun, which direction should I go with the wine?

Just had dinner last weekend with 75 day dry aged ribeye with some older Rioja that was pretty knockout.

100 days will have a lot of funk and something that tastes WAY better than “near rancid butter” but I can’t describe in any other way. A big young cab won’t work. Aged Rioja is perfect or a less forward rhone with good age.

Yeah I was leaning towards something old for sure but was thinking breaking out an old Bordeaux or Cab.
Wasn’t thinking Rioja. Good idea

[welldone.gif]

Medium Rare

Anything from Cornellisen should work.

Pics of the rib or it didn’t happen [wink.gif]

Not a good pic but here’s 4 of them. I have them shrink wrapped so they’ll keep better/longer. Quite a bit of shrinkage.
IMG_3192.JPG

And be careful because it will cook much faster than you’re used to. Either use a thermometer and watch them like a hawk or pull them at what you’d expect full rare to be to get to medium rare.

Do you have a starting/finishing #?

Looks amazing. I think this may be my next meat project. Are you freezing some of them as well?

Michael, didn’t think to do that. I’ll try to remember it with the next one.

Andrew, yeah, I gotta freeze some of them. I’m gonna try one Sunday to see what I’ve got and freeze the rest to enjoy over the next couple of months.

So is that all dry age or is some of the 100 days done in cryo vac?

Aged 100 days, then cut into steaks and packaged

I don’t think that answered the question… how much of the 100 days was wet vs dry?

His title of the post saws 100 day dry aged rib. So I’m assuming 100 days was dry aged.

It was DRY aged 100 days. Then, after being DRY aged 100 days, it was cut into steaks and shrink wrapped.

But how much of that was wet aging? pileon [stirthepothal.gif] [wink.gif]

Every day he drooled on them in anticipation of cooking them. [wow.gif]