Red Curry Paste

Hello there,

Please recommend a non-spicy or low spicy red curry paste.

Thanks in advance and cheers,

Jeremy

If you are into Thai food , you need to watch Pailin’s Kitchen - Hot thai kitchen on youtube. She has amazingly easy recipes that beat any local thai place. Here is her Red curry paste video. Adjust the chiles to lower heat -How to make Red Curry Paste พริกแกงเผ็ด - HTK Tutorial - YouTube

I made my own recently and the results were terrific. Literally can’t remember where the recipe came from though (not a video). Basically it was pureed red peppers of varying heat (bird’s eye and red Fresno IIRC), ginger, galangal, fish sauce, lemongrass, garlic, just a bit of yellow curry powder, bit of sugar, coconut milk, shrimp paste, lime and green onion. The jar lasted quite a while in the fridge and I put it to several uses. I recommend going that route as I’m never particularly happy with what I find in cans or jars at the store. Trader Joe’s version recently was very disappointing.

Thank you both for your input.

Here are a couple of links to some recipes. Both are fairly straight forward.
Mortar and pestle is key.

The High Heel Gourmet site has some fairly good explanations.
I will use canned Maesri brand Thai Red Curry paste when I don’t have time to make the paste. Good flavor and not high on the heat factor.

Andy Ricker has various recipes for kaeng in his book Pok Pok.
His green curry with fish balls and eggplant is delicious, although I susbstitute chicken breast for the fish balls.