Sous Vide Short Ribs Questions.

I have three or four good looking meaty ones. I have these questions:

1. With bone or cut off the bone?
  2. All in one bag or each in a separate bag?
  3. Rub with what?
  4. Should I put any liquid in the bag? I don’t think so. Onions or garlic?
  5. How long and what temp? Based upon my experience with brisket (24 hours at 155), I’m thinking 30-40 hours at 155 because they are a bit thicker.
  6. Wine pairing?

Jay lookie here

and here for recipes

I was looking for real live commentary from people who I trust . . . but I settled for you guys instead.

Real life: no onion or garlic in the bag. Olive oil and salt and pepper maybe some fresh thyme.

Jay - You realize this may qualify you as a doodie.

Not Sous-Vide but I use this recipe for short ribs and it’s phenomenal

Braised Short Ribs with Dijon Mustard

Ingredients:

4 cups dry red wine (I usually use a zin)
4 lb beef short ribs
Duck fat to brown
10 shallots (10 oz), trimmed, halved
1 large carrot (small dice)
1 stalk of celery (small dice)
3 tablespoons coarse-grain Dijon mustard, or to taste (I just use heaping Tablespoons as I like a bit more)
6 plum tomatoes, quartered

Preparation:

Boil wine in a 2-quart heavy saucepan until reduced to about 1 cup.
While wine is reducing, pat ribs dry and cut crosswise into 1-rib pieces (each about 2 1/2 inches long).
Season well with salt and pepper.

Heat Dutch oven over moderately high heat until duck fat is shimmering, then brown ribs well in 3 batches on all sides, about 8 minutes for each batch. Transfer browned ribs with tongs to a bowl.

Reduce heat to moderate and brown shallots well in fat remaining in pot, stirring. when the shallots are beginning to really soften add in carrots and celery. When sweated and brown to your liking transfer with a slotted spoon to another bowl.

Stir reduced wine and mustard into juices in pot. Add ribs and simmer, covered, 1 3/4 hours.

Gently stir in bowl of shallots/carrots/celery and quartered tomatoes and continue to simmer, covered, without stirring, until meat is very tender, about 40 minutes.

Carefully transfer ribs, shallots, and tomatoes to a platter and skim off any fat from cooking liquid.
Season sauce with salt, pepper, and more mustard (if necessary) to taste and pour over ribs.

Great with mashed potato or even better with Spätzle.

No chance.

You know the type. Has Heat or Fergus Henderson’s Complete Nose to Tail on his bookshelf > I don’t even know who Fergus Henderson is> . Can sustain a remarkably long conversation about knives. Is super into his grill. Likes pour-over coffee > I have had one cup of coffee in the last 49 years!> . Is, at this moment, really excited about ramps > the only green thing I like is The Jets> … You can find them stalking around Smorgasburg > at least I know how to spell it, in contrast to that place in Brooklyn. I would never buy food in Brooklyn. Too likely to have aromas of Eau de Gowanus.> , attending knife-skills classes at the Meat Hook > I passed on the knife skill class at the CIA in favor of the Mediterranean cooking class> , writing lengthy, tumescent odes to the Bo Ssäm Miracle in the paper of record > Writing was never published in the NYT, but they did print a photo I took years ago but forgot to attribute it to me. Also, what is Bo Sam?> .

Based on your other thread, I’m too late to the party, but, here’s what I do when I sous vide short ribs and they come out magnificently.

I do boneless because I don’t like the connective tissue around the bones, even in a sous-vide prep. Never breaks down, and I end up cutting away after cooking.

All in one bag.

Don’t need to sear or season ahead of time (Saw you did - probably doesn’t matter on seasoning, but I just bring them to temp).

36-48 hours at 135. Some recipes call for more, but in talking to pro chef friends, they all say the difference between 36 and 72 hours is negligible.

When ready, heat up cast iron. Cut bag, reserve juices in bag, and pat ribs dry. Season with salt and pepper and whatever else. Sear off ribs. Keep warm. Add a little oil if needed, sweat/cook diced shallots until aromatic, add wine to deglaze, let simmer until properly reduced, then add reserved contents of bag. Reduce again to sauce consistency then mount with butter if desired off heat. Salt and pepper sauce to taste.

Serve. You can go big with wine here.