Chicken Wings Ahead of Time

I’d like to make some dry rub wings and buffalo style wings for the Super Bowl. They will be oven baked-not fried or grilled .

But selfishly I don’t want to get stuck making them during the game . I’m ok making them ahead of time and reheating, but I think they won’t come out well and will be dry (the dry rub ones ) and/ or soggy (sauce ones) . I guess I can just add sauce at the end .

Any thoughts here?

but you’re just baking them right? prep them and having them sitting in the fridge overnight to dry, season them up before roasting and then a quick sauce. seems like a pretty mild lift.

Wire rack, hot Convection oven, toss them in sauce during commercial, back into convection oven for a few minutes. Not hard at all.

These recipes are mostly work before and then just toss in the oven at game time

exactly, i’m actually using Kenji’s technique and then maybe popping them back in after reading Alton’s

If you can put up with the additional step, steaming before dry brining does render a lot of fat out of the skin… you get an extra level of crispiness… But the dry brine and roast, sauce and then roast again works really well too

This. Render fat and precook. Alton Brown and Serious Eats both have good methods.

I’ve always used Alton Brown’s and loved the results, but now I’m tempted to try Kenji’s. Anyone do both and have a report? Not having to steam would save some effort.

+1 on Joe and Michael recommending Kenji’s recipe.
This has become my go-to recipe for wings (can be dressed with any finish-Buffalo to Korean) and easy to pull off at go-time.

if you were to steam/render for 10 minutes, dry the wings and dry rub, then sit for 6-8 hours in the fridge, roast, sauce, roast briefly again…is that the best of both worlds?

Pretty much. and the upside is that the steaming and dry rub is done in the AM… later just roast, sauce roast… can be accomplished easily during 2nd Quarter commercials and wings will be ready at the half (cause wings and Justin Timberlake are a true pairing)

Cook them while the game is on but be sure to be back to the TV for the commercials. neener

This is not a Epicurean Exploit. It is an Epicurean Fail. Man up (gee, that will piss people off) and fry the Buffalo wings during the National Anthem and grill the rubbed wings during the halftime show (but don’t miss the commercials!)

Thanks all- except Jay.

Used this method last night and everyone was very pleased.

I made them the real way with butter and Franks and deep fried in Mazola Oil in a deep pot. Delicious. All gone. Excellent pairing wit te six hour smoked ribs quick grilled for extra flavor wit a light BBQ sauce basting during the grilling.

Isteamed mine first thing in the AM, dried in the fridge for an hour, applied the Serious Eats dry brine (1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt per pound of wings), let them dry brine in the fridge for 8 - 10 hours, roasted at 450 for 30 min with a few flips, tossed in the butter/hot sauce and served… wings were very crispy and very well received. The process seems long but it was really very little work

I was watching America’s Test Kitchen the other day and they were making Korean chicken wings. They claimed the wings were so crunchy that you could take one out of the fridge the next morning and it would still be crispy. So I made some. I didn’t use the Korean sauce they made but rather stuck with BBQ Sauce/Butter and Franks/Butter.

The batter is super soupy. 1 cup AP flour + 3 TBS cornstarch + 1.5 cups water. Dip the wings in and try to get as much batter off as possible before putting them in a 350F fryer for 7 minutes. Remove them after 7 minutes and crank the fryer up to 375F. Cook another 7 minutes. Rest on a rack for 2 minutes before applying any sauce.

These were, by far, the crispiest wings I’ve ever had. They had a beautiful deep golden brown color. The coating was very crisp but very light (unlike overly battered wings like one would find at Hooters). Unfortunately I couldn’t do a long term sogginess test because my family crushed the six pounds I made in about 5 minutes. My guess is that you could make these a few hours ahead of time and keep them warm in the oven set to a very low temperature.

Sounds awesome. And similar to what David Chang used to do. I need to try this very soon. Thanks, Tim!

wow those look great

We haven’t fried for years after learning this trick.