Sous vide smoked brisket - now that's an exploit!

I try not to experiment on guests, so before I serve this for a Superbowl party, I’m going to try it out on myself. I have a flat cut brisket half (I usually use the whole brisket but this is what they had) that I have rubbed with a combination of chili powder and a home made Cajun style steak rub. I then carefully slid it into a bag that I sealed with the vacuum sealer. I dropped it into my large stock pot set up with the Anova and pre-heated water at 135 degrees. after fluctuations due to the colder meat that I deal with by adding more hot water, it is now peacefully “cooking” for the next day plus. I will probably pull it at 36 hours only because that works out due to other commitments, but I might leave it for 53 hours, which is the next time I can conveniently pull it. I will then set it up to smoke for a while - not too long because it will be just for the flavor. I haven’t decided if I will go for a final bake in the oven to bring it to 205 to render out the fat. Depends on how it looks. There’s not a lot of fat in the flat cut.

Jay- excited to hear how this ends up. A couple of questions. How long are you thinking of smoking? And what led you to use 135 as the temperature?

One other thought re: Sous video and smoke, especially with longer cook times…if I’m doing a cut of meat that benefits from a relatively long time in the water bath, say 12 hours or more, what I’ll do is actually smoke the meat first - usually a cold smoke. I’ve found that if I smoke first, even for a only an hour or so, that the time spent in the water bath allows the smoke to better integrate.

I adjusted to 155 after about 4 hours based upon an average of various Internet recommendations. I think I will also cut the cook time down to about 25 hours.

I have seen arguments for both alternatives so my choice was really based upon convenience and a coin flip. I will try both before and after smoking. It was easier for me to cook first in this case. Also, my normal brisket smoking routine is to rub, smoke, slather with caramelized onions and mole sauce, rest in the refrigerator for a day or two, and then reheat to get out the fat and connective tissue, which allows the smoke to integrate. I will probably do the same thing this time.

This sounds great. I’ve never gotten into the whole sous vide thing, but this might tip the scales.

Smoking first is the way to go. I’ve had amazing results with separating the flat and the point then smoking for as long as possible until the internal temp of the flat was 155 degrees and the point was at 204 degrees. Bag and ice, seal when cool and cook at 146 for 72 hours, delicious.

I disagree based on my experience. I cook, then smoke for about 4 hours with heavy smoke. I like the bark better that way. But, I’m also certain that yours was excellent too.

What’s the purpose of cooking another 72 hours at that point?

I’ve had sous vide brisket, and wasn’t impressed. Here’s the problem: collagen and connective tissues (from everything I’ve read, as well as direct experience) don’t start breaking down until around 160 degrees; and even then they need plenty of time and probably higher temp. So all that time at 135 is doing very little. I guess if you then go to the oven at 200+ for a couple hours, that will probably do it. But again, I kind of doubt anything is happening in the meat at 135 after a few hours, when it has hit that temp.

The assertion that connective tissue does not break down below 160 is false. It just happens to accelerate around there. It is fat that will not render below particular temps.

A 72 hour short rib sous vide at 135F will be one of the most tender pieces of meat you could try.

To me a uncooked piece of meat takes smoke better than one that has been cooked low temp first. I don’t seem to get anywhere near the smoke level, the meat doesn’t react the same. Finishing a low temp brisket in a smoker before you serve is a good idea for better bark.

To continue to break down connective tissue. The main key is to separate the point and the flat. If you leave it whole by the time you get the point to be edible the flat is going to be very overcooked.

Short ribs are not brisket :wink:

I admit I’m not a huge fan of sous vide, no matter the cut. But the times I’ve had sous vide brisket, it just didn’t seem to work well.

I’m curious to hear how the brisket does with a long SV. I’ve made long duration SV short ribs and I definitely prefer a standard braised short rib. Sure they’re super tender but SV does something to the meat that I cannot describe that I just don’t care for.

If I’m going to go through the trouble of smoking and cooking then I’m just going to go all the way and make pastrami. I think that’s the best thing I’ve ever made in my life. A few hours on the smoker and then a few hours in the steamer.

Well, I did a sous vide for 24 hours. For the first 3 hours, I was at 135, but after reviewing more internet discussion, I increased to 155 for another 20 hours. Removed and put in refrigerator for a week due to scheduling problems. I never got to smoke it due to scheduling problems and when I opened the bag I lost all the delicious broth that was given off, but it was still delicious brisket. The water release concentrated the flavor of the meat. Like a dry aged steak - remove water to concentrate flavor. Next time I will obviously save the released water and spices, add caramelized onions.and make an outstanding gravy.

why not just use liquid smoke?

Because that is disgusting to a purist, even though there is evidence that it might be healthier.