Chicken with Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce

When I cook at home I typically employ the “little bit of this, little bit of that” method of cooking. Every once in a while I stumble upon some sort of genius, and I’m usually unable to recreate it because I wasn’t really paying attention to what I was doing. I recently had the wherewithal to actually commit to paper the steps I took for one of these luckily fantastic dishes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Ingredients:
3 large chicken breasts
Moroccan “45” spice blend (reddish/orange color)
Grapeseed oil
butter
flour
½ large white onion
2 garlic cloves
1lb chanterelle mushrooms (shiitakes fine, too, but perhaps decrease qty a bit)
lemon juice
salt
dry white wine
coriander seed
allspice

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 400 F

rub chicken breasts with oil, and then with Moroccan 45 spice blend

enough oil in fry pan to coat bottom; sear chicken, 3 minutes each side

Transfer chicken to oven in baking dish; 400 F for 30 minutes, or until done

scrape extra oil and chicken bits out of the fry pan; don’t worry about getting it all

make a roux; put some of the roux in the hot fry pan; let melt/brown

brunoise half a white onion

Smash/mince 2 cloves of garlic

put onion and garlic in the melted/browned roux; cook for a few minutes over medium heat

add 1lb chanterelle mushrooms to the onions and garlic; cook until the mushrooms start to release their liquid

add ¼ C water with a little bit of lemon juice to the mushrooms/onions/garlic; continue to cook uncovered

add a little bit of salt to help mushrooms and onion release more liquid

add up to ¾ C white wine; continue cooking to reduce

use mortar and pestle to grind coriander seed and allspice; add to the mushrooms and onion

pour mushroom/onion sauce over chicken breast

{pair with Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, or an oxidative white}

made this again tonight, but this time with Shitake mushrooms. If substituting Shitakes in place of Chanterelles, I’d recommend using a little bit less. A Chenin from Vouvray worked well with it tonight.

Looks like a nice recipe, any pictures?
on the chicken breasts: Are they half breast with skin and bone or something different?
Also, why don’t you sautè the onion and garlic and mushrooms in butter and then add roux?

breasts were boneless skinless, but one could certainly opt for the more flavorful option with bone and skin.

no pics, sorry. I’ve yet to find a free replacement online photo hosting site since Photobucket went behind a paywall.

I like to brown the roux, but it’s certainly not a requirement; sauteing in butter followed by roux would work just fine.

[cheers.gif]