London Restaurant Recommendation Needed

I’m traveling to London next month and would like some restaurant recommendations. I will be traveling that day from Edinburgh Scotland, following a late night of revelry (Scotland vs France rugby match), so I anticipate being a bit tired. A couple of years ago while in London I had a splendid meal at Le Gavroche and a year earlier a fabulous lunch at L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon. I think this time around I’m looking for something a bit less formal, perhaps some nice Italian.

Thank you for your input.

I was going to say The Ledbury until you started adding those caveats. It’s a long meal if you’re going to be tired.

Two of our favorites are Gymkhana (game oriented high end Indian) and Rules (for game or the delicious Steamed Steak & Kidney Suet Pudding).

How about The Harwood Arms… was he well regarded Gastro Pub by the Ledbury chef

When we were at Ledbury last year the sommelier recommended Little Social for what I think you’re describing. Fantastic reco…really good meal, relaxed bistro atmosphere, fun. It’s the same group as and directly across-the-street from Pollen Street Social. Get the tart Tatin for dessert.

Blacklock. Check them out. Had the most amazing Sunday roast with updated sides and killer gravy. More of a hip spot than an old standby.

There’s suppose to be a restaurant on top of the tallest building in London. Anyone know the name of it? That might be an interesting option. I’ve seen the views and they’re spectacular.

Thanks for the recommendations thus far. I will look into all of them. BTW, I’ve been to Rules and love it. That would be my preference, but one of the people I’m going with had a bad experience there and has sworn off the place.

For Italian I would suggest Murano. Though I haven’t been.

Pollen Street Social is my favorite and not stuffy or slow paced. Little Social is probably very good for its price point if you want to save $$.

Pollen Street social. Best London meal we had during our years in England. After that, St Johns is always lots of fun if you are an adventurous eater.

Duck and Waffle? https://duckandwaffle.com/. Food is good and I seem to recall having several bottles of CdP there after cocktails in the bar/foyer area. Was pricey though and a bit much of the “beautiful people” scene in the bar area.

Sitting at the Alchemist as I type and the barrel aged corpse reviver was great. Bit over-the-top on the “alchemist” stuff (lots of dried ice, smoked oak, everything in beakers), but was a nice stop. If you go Duck and Waffle, you might consider pre-partying here, save yourself 50 quid and then hit D&W for dinner :slight_smile:

Would second Pollen Street Social if you’re looking more upscale. Had a fantastic dinner there a few years back, based on a board recommendation.

Thank you.

Jay, I forgot to mention that the last time I was in London I went to Gymkhana and I really enjoyed it. Great ambiance with a very different take on Indian cuisine. I really enjoyed the game dishes.

I ended up booking reservations at Pollen Street Social. Really looking forward to getting back home!

Hope you enjoy it! I’ll add it to our list for a future visit.

Pollen Street Social and pretty much all of Jason Atherton’s restaurants are worth a visit. If I have only one night in London, I’m going to Kitchen Table.

My wife is going to be in London in a few weeks and is interested in recommendations for afternoon tea.

Claridges is very good. The sandwiches, scones and tea are better than the pastries IMO.

Thanks

Regarding a couple recommendations, I had Sunday Roast at Harwood Arms last fall. It’s an upscale pub that received a Michelin star and the food was very good. Also have eaten at Black Lock in Soho a couple times. Would also strongly recommend but it’s been listed as the top Sunday Roast in London, and the reservations fill up fast. They save tables for walk-ins but expect to wait. As for the restaurant at the top of the tallest building, I’m thinking you probably mean The Shard, that has a number of restaurants (I saw Oblix praised online). I haven’t eaten there, but did take the elevator to one of the higher levels. You’re really above everything, pretty incredible, or frightening if you don’t like heights! I’m going to London next month and interested in trying some of the recommendations here.

Any recent experience at Helen Darroze?

I was in London last week and Mere really stood out. Great food, fantastic wine list.