Pork Belly, Peas, & Rice with Marsannay

Tonight’s dinner was slow-braised pork belly, crisped in the turbo oven. It was served over Basmati Rice with green peas, cooked in the final reduction and finishing of the broth turned into sauce with the addition of Bual and arrowroot. The food was enjoyed with a 2005 Bruno Clair Marsannay ‘Les Vaudenelles’ - dark ruby in color; rich complex, spicy nose of red & black fruits; balanced mid-palate with good acidity; and a long fruity finish. It had a little tannic finish before the food; but was great with the pork belly et al.

Then to finish, since the meal was quite filling, we each had a digestiv. Carollee had an Averna, while I had another small snifter of Rhum Barbancourt. Both made a good finish to a nice meal.

[welldone.gif]

that meal sounds delicious, Dick!! nice pick with the Barbancourt … it was the 15, I presume? That is the best rum I’ve yet to find.

what is Bual? I am familiar with arrowroot, but not Bual.

It’s a type of Madeira Brian.

Boal (grape) - Wikipedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s the third from dry - Sercial, Verdehlo, Bual. I use either Verdehlo or Bual in sauces, depending on how much richness I want and what wine we’re going to drink.

The Barbancourt was the Speciale Reserve - 8 year.

very cool! do you add the Bual as you’re finishing the sauce?

I add the arrowroot to the Madeira and stir well, then stir the mix into the reduced stock to make the sauce.

cool. thanks, Dick. [basic-smile.gif]

You need to get out more my friend.

I don’t drink too much rum, so when I buy a bottle I turn to the Barbancourt 15 because it blows away all other rums i’ve had. That said, I am totally open to suggestions of what may be better!! [basic-smile.gif]