Roasted BEETROOT

Here comes another side dish which never fails to impress. I promise you that your guests will be more interested in the beetroot than in any kind of meat. AND almost nothing to do, just peeling the beetroots. The rest makes the oven.

Ingredients

1kg beetroot
200g fresh goat cheese
2-3 clove garlic with skin
2 fresh bay leaves
3-5 sprigs thyme
heavy dash aceto balsamico
olive oil

Preparation

1. Wash and peel the beetroots

2. Quarter the beetroots

3. Put the quarters to an oven-proven form

4. Add olive oil, garlic with skin, bay leaves

5. Finally add thyme and then for 1h and 200C/400F in the oven

6. Mix 2-3 times during roasting process and add aceto balsamico after 30-45min.

7. Serve with fresh goat cheese on top.

3 Likes

next on my list, Martin.

1 Like

Thanks; gonna try that!

I have made this dish twice, and it is truly delicious. I added golden beets in, and that adds both a visual and taste element.

Thank you Martin! Keep them coming.

3 Likes

I look forward to trying this. My husband loves beets…and I love goat cheese and garlic. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Dave - I’ll probably add some golden beets in too for variation of presentation and flavor.

This also makes a great salad or appetizer. And if you really want to go nuts, fry the goat cheese in tempura. Chill the goat cheese in the freezer (easier to cut), and then cut into pucks. Put pucks back into freezer. Heat oil, make tempura batter. Remove goat cheese from freezer, dredge in flour then tempura batter. Deep fry until somewhere just between golden and golden brown. Serve atop the beet salad. Be ready for the foodgasm.

1 Like

@Martin_Zwick

Hi Martin!

Could you please post this recipe again? I tried to access this, but think with the software change, it disappeared.

Thank you so much - love this dish!

Ingredients

1kg beetroot
200g fresh goat cheese
2-3 clove garlic with skin
2 fresh bay leaves
3-5 sprigs thyme
heavy dash aceto balsamico
olive oil

Preparation

1. Wash and peel the beetroots

2. Quarter the beetroots

3. Put the quarters to an oven-proven form

4. Add olive oil, garlic with skin, bay leaves

5. Finally add thyme and then for 1h and 200C/400F in the oven

6. Mix 2-3 time and add aceto balsamico after 30-45min.

7. Serve with fresh goat cheese on top.

ENJOY Dave

3 Likes

P.S.

a variation I made 1 month ago. Instead of goat cheese I added roasted sesame oil and sesame seeds shortly before serving. Quite nice.

2 Likes

Beets are one of the most underrated root vegs out there. So full of umami and flavor, cheap, easy to make. What’s not to love.

2 Likes

We had this tonight. Big wow from the Mrs. Thanks for the recipe!

1 Like

Martin’s recipe is excellent. I’ll suggest as well that beets are a great candidate for sous vide. Roughly the same ingredients, ~185f, 1hr to a couple hours depending on the texture you prefer.

The flavor profile is a bit different - somewhat fresher, no ‘roasted’ flavor. One nice side-benefit to sous vide is that the liquid that the beets give off stays in the bag and gets flavored by all the wonderful aromatics. Very intense beet-y flavor, which can either be used with the beets or reserved for a separate use!

1 Like

Wow, that sounds quite delicious and very healthy. Since I’m on a diet (after reading https://bettеrme.world/articles/lower-back-fat/ ) I think this would be a great snack for me during the day. I also try to get all my vitamins from food and not from supplements