greek yogurt - anyone know how to make it?

Was in Vegas last weekend. Ate at Milos at the Cosmo (nice meal). But the take away was the Greek yogurt for the final course.
Holy Cow

How do I make this at home?

Here, let me google that for you neener

might end up being cheaper to just buy it.

You both suck.

What is wrong with AZ?

Start with a good source for sheep’s milk

I was in Greece in Sept… many days dessert was Greek yogurt with fruit or honey… truly out of this world… I think the big diff between this and Fage is the fat content (and freshness of course) but it was incredibly rich

Open a quart of regular yogurt and tie it in cheesecloth. Let it hang overnight so the excess liquid drains off.
Voila - you’ll have a pint of greek yogurt.

what were you expecting? :smiley:

Buying it does not work. You must then dry it. Here is my suggestion:

1. Buy a large container of plain “Greek” yogurt. I get the two containers in a box at Costco.
  2. Take a strainer and line the inside with unbleached paper towels - one layer should be enough.
  3. Put the strainer over a large bowl so the bottom of the strainer is at last a half inch above the bowl.
  4. Fill the strainer with yogurt.
  5. Put in refrigerator and allow the excess water to drain out the bottom. Depending on the brand and how “dry” you want it, it could take up to two days. 8 or so hours after you start and then periodically after that at longer intervals, pour the water out of the bottom of the bowl.
  6. When it is how you like it, dump strainer into container and carefully remove the paper.

When I am mixing with roasted eggplant, I let it get VERY dry - two days or so.

As long as you use a quality starter and milk and strain overnight, you can make great greek yogurt in the Instant Pot.

Done this myself so aside from the many options mentioned above which are all good, I will give you my best result.

Buy some Fage whole greek yogurt. Buy some fresh whole milk and some heavy cream that is pasteurized but not ultra pasteurized. Mix the milk and cream and heat to 180 exactly and immediately cool. Grab a tablespoon of the Fage and whisk into the milk/cream. Place that in a warming drawer at 110F for about 8 hours. Now put the remainder on some cheesecloth in a coarse strainer and let it drain into a bowl in the fridge for 12-24 hours. The final product will blow your hair back.

edit- I should mention this gives you more of a very simple cheese product. If you want straight greek, skip the cream and stick with whole milk. But I recommend you try both at some point. My intuition tells me what you had is more akin to what I did with the cream.

Kenny do you the recombine the strained Fage with the new yogurt product that you’ve made, or leave them separate?

I’m not sure if Kenny means to strain the remaining Fage, or what comes out of the warming drawer (the milk/cream mixture).

Oh no, keep them completely separate. I suppose if you wanted to extend the batch or adjust texture you certainly could mix some in. I like the idea of having a completely new product in this case.

That’s what I though- thanks.

This is called labneh in the Middle East. I skip the messy cheesecloth and just use a very fine strainer. Don’t chuck the whey (the liquid that drains from the strained yogurt); use it to cook rice, etc.

Frank- Not quite the case as it is with labneh. Labneh is yet another step where acid and salt is used to remove whey from a strained yogurt. I love labneh and I have not tried it on one of my cultured product, very good idea.

Kenny,

Salt, sometimes, but none of my Middle Eastern friends add acid to the already pretty perky yogurt when they make labneh. I always add salt, and I’ll stick with my recommendation of using a really fine stainless steel strainer instead of cheesecloth (which is traditional, of course, but not essential.)

A Saudi friend got some Bulgarian yogurt culture and swears by it.

It’s not very much acid (lemon juice), but it speeds up the release of whey, not as an acidifier. Same for the salt.

The approximate goal is 23% solids by weight.