What are the best Italian in Basque restaurants in SF?

We are going to be in San Francisco for my wife’s birthday in late December. I wanted to take her to a really good Italian or Basque Restaurant in the city to celebrate. Any suggestions? For the Italian I would like something authentic and not Americanized. Thank you

Acquerello would be an option in the Italian category.

-Al

Acquerello is a bit spendy, but mostly excellent and worth the overall experience. SPQR used to be really good and reasonable, but unfortunately the Michelin guide has raised their prices astronomically. Skip Quince, nothing but disappointment and an unreasonably large dent to your wallet. Cotogna, Flour & Water, Delfina, Seven Hills, and Locanda are more casual and less expensive.

SF doesn’t really have much to offer in terms of Basque cuisine, there is Piperade, but it’s expensive and doesn’t really capture true Basque cuisine. Bellota is a pretty decent Spanish restaurant, but not Basque.

I would actually argue that some of the best Italian restaurants are in the East Bay, if you’re willing to venture there. Belotti in Oakland has the best homemade pasta, and the steak tartare is a great way to start your meal. Trattoria la Siciliana has simple but satisfying homestyle cooking.

If you must stay in the City, I would second Locanda and add Perbacco.

Berry, if you are looking for Basque food, the Basque Cultural Center in South San Francisco is very good and authentic. My parents went there a few weeks ago and really enjoyed the food there. It is on Railroad Avenue in South San Francisco.

Thanks,
Ed

I am a huge fan of Acquerello. My wife and I have been there several times and each visit was flawless. It is a great special occasion restaurant. Can’t recommend it strongly enough. As I recall, not all of their tables are available on Open Table. There is likely more availability if you call.

I know many have good things to say about Perbacco. I am not one of them. Our only experience there several years ago was terrible.

Quince felt very well executed, but largely soulless. Not worth the $$$, in my opinion.

SPQR was very good, but it is much less of an overall fine dining experience than Acquerello.

La Ciccia, Sardinian cuisine, is the best Italian in SF. Do some searching on this forum and elsewhere and you will see. You need to make reservations in advance.

+1. Been this way a long time too.

Octopus.

+2 for La Ciccia. Nothing about the place is Americanized. You don’t even need to bring a bottle, the list is so good, and affordable.

Gotta get there…

Each to there own I guess. Been to La Ciccia often (but not in a few years), enjoyed the food and especially the hospitality, but eventually decided it wasn’t worth the schlep. Do love the octopus, though. Sardinian cuisine is very different from mainstream Italian, so it is worth a visit for sure, just didn’t think it was the “best in SF”.

Perbacco supplanted it in my regular rotation (but was disappointed there my second to last visit; last time was back to form).

Haven’t been to Quince since the big increase in price a few years ago, maybe that changed things for the worse, but the three times I was there, I thought it was fantastic.

I went to Acquerello once and was mightily disappointed, especially at the price. FoH treatment was very poor so never went back.

Agree on Cotogna.
I’ve enjoyed Piperade the times I’ve went (Basque). Haven’t been in 5 years though- since no one mentioned it, maybe they have slipped too.

Agree on Piperade - http://www.piperade.com/

SPQR is really good.

I would get a sub at Lucca’s Deli. Italian on Dutch Crunch to be precise.