St. Paul, MN restaurants

It has been a couple of years since there was a discussion on Twin Cities dining. I’m looking more for St. Paul environs. The Lexington and Commodore have come up - has anyone tried either, or other suggestions?

Lexington is fine I don’t love it. Commodore is good for drinks - Lenny Russo was taking over the kitchen there but I haven’t been since or don’t know current status of that.

Saint Dinette is fantastic. Muccis is also good. Pajarito is very good. La Grolla has good Italian food. Revival is great if you want some southern food. Some great ethnic places on University Ave - Ngon Bistro is very good! Some other new places include Heirloom, Bar Brigade, there is a new fish place downtown St Paul by Tim McKee. I’m sure others can chime in with thoughts but that’s a pretty good list to start with!

Thank you, Nate. I’ve been to Revival, and like it. Have you been to Octo Fish Bar or Joan’s in the Park?

I have not been to Octo. Joan’s is a great underrated spot!

And just realized that Octo is the new place I referenced that was started by Tim McKee. Haven’t been but everything else he has done is great so I would assume that is too!

Meritage is still the standard bearer.

I’m leaning towards Joan’s since they take reservations and it looks like Octo does not. Have you byo’d there?

Yes, I’ve been there a couple of times, for brunch and dinner, but would like to try something else. I also like the more casual, Stewart’s.

I’ll have to try Joan’s next time I’m in the highland park area. We always just go with Punch or Cecil’s.

I have not byo’d there so unfortunately cant help you on that one!

Another vote for Meritage.

the bread at Cecil’s … flirtysmile flirtysmile

We went to Joan’s last Wednesday and it was excellent. Short rib meatballs and gnocchi with cauliflower to start and a tender pork shank with butternut squash purée. A scallop dish was enjoyed but appeared puny compared to the pork shank. I brought a 2009 Rhys Horseshoe Pinot and it worked great with the food. Corkage was $25 and service was perfect.