February Wine Geeks at Tr. Nostrani

Here is the menu with my thoughts on wines for tomorrow night’s dinner at Trattoria Nostrani:

Champagne

Amusée

Grüner Veltliner

White and Green Asparagus with Tarragon and Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette

Red Burgundy

Galantine of Quail with Brioche and Stewed Figs and Cranberries

White Burgundy

Atlantic Cod with Brandade Ravioli and Diplomat Sauce

Red Burgundy or Barolo

Oven Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Swiss Chard and Sweet Pork Sausage

Banyuls

Grand Marnier Bavarian with Chocolate Sauce

Since we’ll be by ourselves tonight, all our compatriots are otherwise occupied, I’ve selected the following wines from our cellar:

1998 Deutz Blanc des Blancs for both the amusée and the asparagus
1999 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chaumes for the cod
1999 Daniel Rion Vosne-Romanée Les Chaumes for the quail and pork
1928 Solera Maury for the dessert

Can’t wait to hear on the Rion… sorry I missed you guys tonight [cray.gif]

We arrived at Trattoria Nostrani for our 6pm reservation for Wine Geek’s Night. We were seated at our usual table and brought out the '98 Deutz BdB for openers. It was light yellow gold in color; had a nice mousse; and a rich, crisp flavor and feel with a light citrus note. It was very good with the amusée of a mound of whipped tuna with a creamy sauce on thin slices of cucumber. With its citrusy crispness it was also very nice with the white and green asparagus with cauliflower and broccoli flowerets in a delicate tarragon-mustard vinaigrette. Near the end of the asparagus, we had the two '99 Burgundies, Ramonet and Rion, opened and poured. We decided to try both with the next three dishes. The Chassagne’s initial nose was a bit funky, but that went away. Color was a medium yellow-gold; eventually an open, rich nose and flavors of flowery white fruit; full bodied fruity mid-palate with good acidity; and a long fruity, minerally finish; It was very good with the galantine of quail and figs, without much cranberry, and with the oddly shaped brioche. The Vosne-Romanée was initially slightly closed and simple; but opened with time to nose and flavors of spicy, ripe cherries and currants; balanced rich, fruity mid-palate; and a long fruity finish. It was quite nice with the quail and cranberries and the brioche with quail juices. The Chassagne was a great match with the cod dish. The Diplomat sauce was a rich lobster sauce with truffles and was wonderful with both the cod and the brandade ravioli.

Then we were back to both Burgundies with the lovely pork dish - a perfectly cooked and flavorful pork tenderloin with the chard and sausage wrapped in caul fat as a sort of patty. It was all very tasty with either wine, though I did marginally prefer the Rion, because of the richness of the pork. The Maury (500ml bottle) was essentially perfect with the very rich dessert. It was a lovely 4 1/2 hour meal with Nelli, Eric, and our waiter, Thomas, all performing perfectly.