La Rentree a Paris - What's new?

We’re off to Paris for Thanksgiving. So I thought I’d check in with the collective wisdom of the board to see what interesting new restaurants are worth checking out.

I suspect we won’t stray too far from either our usual haunts (L’Assiette, La Cagouille) or board favorites I’m looking forward to trying for the first time (L’Ami Jean, David Toutain) but thought I’d see if the Paris denizens (I’m looking at you, Mark Kaplan) have any recommendations from the new openings this fall.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Juveniles continues to impress. It’s the size of a postage stamp, but absolutely love the food, the wine list and the vibe. L’Assiete continues to be hit or miss for me, but easily my favorite cassoulet in the city.

Thanks for the Juveniles reminder Andrew. A place I have fond memories of in its older incarnation and more recently the people who steered me to Passage 53 some years ago.

Eels (in the 10th) seems to be getting some good press. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Hi Peter,
I just saw this. Tonight is our last night in Paris. I’ll post something when we return. Best dinners this trip: Arpege, Passage 53, Akrame, Verjus, Les Arlots, Tomy & Co, Racines des Pres, Semilla, Les Deserteurs, L’Ami Jean, Kitchen Te(re) (Z Kitchen Gallerie’s new pasta concept restaurant), Fulgurances (rotating guest chefs), Toutain, Saturne, Le Bon Georges, Severo, La Bourse et la Vie…

The original Avant Comptoir is still my favorite wine bar in town. Renamed L’Avant Comptoir de la Terre, as L’Avant Comptoir de la Mer is next door and new L’Avant Comptoir du Marche (bigger, but not necessarily better) is around the corner in the Marche Saint-Germain.

What kind of restaurants are you looking for?

Not looking for anything specific Mark - just curious as to what’s new and worth a visit since I was last there in 2014.

We’ll be around the corner from Avant Comptoir and its siblings and I am sure we’ll stop by. I’m tempted by Le Bon Georges as much for nostalgia as anything else - I lived around the corner for a couple of months one summer and am fond of the neighborhood.

Thanks for your list - I am sure you had a good visit.

I have to choose between Passage 53 and David Toutain while I’m there. Which would you choose - I’ve been to Passage 53 before and was very wowed.

Ledoyen was jolly good a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed it more than Arpege, though I suspect I ordered badly at Arpege.

My choice would be Passage 53. We had another great dinner there. Toutain’s winelist is more reasonably priced, but in my opinion, the cooking at Passage 53 is better. We also had an excellent dinner at Akrame, our first in the new location by Madeleine. I like Toutain well enough, but our dinner last week was too much the same as our dinner there last October. Sure, some of that comes with seasonality. But I didn’t like Toutain as much as I have in the past.