Cooking an epic meal...just for YOU?

My wife is headed out of town for the weekend with friends and I’m considering treating myself to a great meal at home. There’s something very appealing about, after the kids are in bed, opening some great wine and cooking something that I truly want to enjoy, just for me. My wife and I enjoy cooking together and eat nearly every meal with our kids, but every once in the while, I get the urge (and the opportunity) to do this.

Am I alone? Do you ever do this? What have you (or would you) prepare?

Anything But Chicken Fingers.

My wife has certain dislikes- game, lamb, some types of seafood. I generally leverage her time away to experiment with things that she wouldn’t appreciate or wish for.

Not sure how “epic” it is, but it’s hard to beat a “Big, Beautiful” well cooked (not well-done) ribeye or NY strip with some chimichurri on top and potato wedges on the side. That or a deliciously braised short rib on top of risotto or polenta.

Yes. Steak, foie gras, wine. All to myself…

grouphug

I do it whenever the opportunity arises.

Never. To me the joy of cooking an epic meal is sharing it with others.

George

Roast duck or a seared duck breast

Steak.

Agreed. My wife doesn’t eat much beef or drink much cab franc, so that’s what I do when she’s away for the weekend.

How much time do you have? Depending, on that, and what bottles i want to play with, and options for leftovers, I’d think of Cassoulet, Fish Pie, Duck or Lamb rack or shank.
If there’s the whole weekend to play with maybe crack open a recipe book (one of Mr Blumenthal’s, say) and go for a challenge.
Oh and always Kippers for breakfast (no wine).

FIFY

I get up at 5 am, even on the weekends, so I have the house to myself before everyone wakes up. I pull out every cheese I have in the house (typically 6-10) plus an Olympia Provisions Pork Rillettes and open champagne. This is my Elysium.

Pasta and Sunday sauce.

I’ve gotten used to having a sweetish sauce on pasta and can even enjoy it but it still just doesn’t seem “right” somehow…

Note to self: become friends with Paul

Note to Paul: this is my Elysium (I have two bottles at home – my FIL, who isn’t a wine drinker, likes it because it tastes like lychee)

I imagine the sweetness is a Filipino thing?

As are the hot dogs.

Please tell me you don’t mean in the sauce.

It’s not really that different from adding sausage. Sort of. You also need ground pork, onion, garlic and have to use Del Monte Filipino Style Tomato Sauce:

I’ve always known that you were a sweet and patient man Jay, but there are certain lines that should not be crossed.

for myself, I don’t bother with fancy.
I keep it simple something grilled, roasted or sauteed and a nice bottle of wine or sake