SWISS MOUNTAIN PIE

Rustic and delicious this swiss mountain pie. Fall can come…

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=2977
Swiss.jpg
ENJOY
Martin

Nice Martin!!

I can’t get the image out of my head…

John Denver singing the refrain "Swiss mountain piiiiiiiie…with potatoes " as the music fades.
IMG_1186.JPG
Sorry.

Btw, the recipe looks ausgezeichnet.

Martin,

Looks fantastic! Do the potatoes soak up the rendered bacon fat as it cooks? Not sure my concern is valid, but worried the fat could make the bottom crust soggy. Thanks!

Yeah- but the top looks crispy enough for both. I am looking forward to trying this!

Jared,

first, it is important to put the pie in a pre-heated oven.

The potatoes + puff pastry will soak up the bacon fat quite good. I don´t remember the crust was soggy.

Good luck,
Martin

P.S. in case your crust is soggy. Maybe it helps to higher the heat from 200C to 220C or maybe cut the potatoes thicker from 2mm to 3mm.

Definitely going to make this. I would assume the preferred potato would be a waxy spud (Yukon gold, white waxy potato, etc.)? With what wine would you pair it?

Swiss or Savoie or Jura White is what I’d do.

Made this last night and it was an instant hit! The only modification I made was that I cooked the bacon until about 75% crisp beforehand. This dish was delicious with roast chicken, arugula salad, and a Boniface Savoie.

This looks quite good. Will give it a try.
Martin: Do you have a recommended puff pastry recipe?

I bought an organic puff pastry. BUT of course homemade is better. It´s a lot of work and certainly worth the effort.

Google and go to youtube.

Good luck,
Martin

P.S. good butter is essential for homemade puff pastry

How do I post pics? Been so long I have forgotten!

How was the pre-crisped bacon texture in the cooked pie? I’m not a fan of soggy/chewy bacon…I would rather just put in a little bacon grease into the original recipe for flavor, or maybe add a different protein altogether. However bacon seems ideal so hopefully the pre-crisping worked.