Need Charleston restaurants.

TIA.

Did Minero for the first time a few days ago for late lunch. Recommended.

Just got back and found that previous thread useful
Charlestown Grille was my favorite, followed closely by Hall’s (high end steakhouse fare) then SNOB.
So many choices. Wish I spent more time to check out Fig and Husk.
All allowed corkage.

Of the places mentioned there that I’ve eaten at, FIG is outstanding (reserve a few weeks in advance), Xiao Bao Biscuit is fun pan-Asian in an old gas station that’s super flavorful and actually quite good, Husk just a bit slick and overrated (IMO). Good cheese/wine/charcuterie/sandwich place Goat.Sheep.Cow.

Love FIG and The Macintosh. I enjoyed the wine list more that the food art Husk. And I really enjoy breakfast at the Hominy Grill, although it’s a tourist destination, you know

82 Queen

Really enjoyed the “roasted oysters” at this place…a few miles from town. Not haute cusine, but…some delicious food and fun…and very different. Has been on several travel shows (Zimmern, Bourdain, etc). We liked it last summer…

We loved 167 Raw, The Ordinary and Mc Crady’s (over Husk). BYO’d at The Ordinary, Husk and Mc Crady’s

I ate at FIG and Husk back to back nights. Agree with others about Husk being over-rated. FIG was fantastic.

This is what I said in the other thread:
Scott has nailed many of my favorites. Fig and Edmunds Oast are a must for me when I’m in town.
Lewis BBQ was next-level good on my recent visit in June. Franklin-esque (no surprise)
If you are cool with hipster-casual, and want some fun Asian food: Xia Bao Biscuit…Probably my favorite place in town.
Oh, And echoing what Paul said…I love Obstinate Daughter if you head out to the beach.

Anyone have any updates or new places to try. I loved Edmunds Oast last trip.

There’s a recent Charleston thread in the Travel and Restaurants Forum. Any particular hankerings? We just returned from a week in Charleston a couple of weeks ago.

I will check that thread out. Looking for nice casual with a focus on food. I’m not worried about wine this trip. Thanks.

Total side note, but I watched the Sean Brock episode of Chef’s Table earlier this week. Really makes you appreciate his amazing story.

I’ll post updates after the ‘Rona.
We aren’t eating in restaurants.

Scott,

Is there much (if any) outdoor dining available in Charleston? I’m likely going to want to get the hell
Out of Chicago for a minute in January/early Feb

Not Scott, but we just returned from a week in the Charleston area about a month ago and we had some local friends ask the same question regarding outdoor dining in Charleston. It can be quite cold in Charleston during January and February, so outdoor dining may not be an option. Here are my thoughts regarding Charleston outdoor dining in September.

Circa 1886 had plenty of nice outdoor seating on the lawn area as you approach the front doors to the restaurant. Not sure if they will continue into winter with space heaters/heat lamps on the lawn?

Husk has turned the outdoor seating typically used by the carriage house bar area into an outdoor dining area extension of the restaurant.

FIG offers a few bistro tables for outdoor dining along Meeting Street. I would not suggest eating outdoors at FIG.

I think that Leon’s has an area behind the main restaurant that might be available for outdoor dining.

Chez Nous has a small outdoor dining area. I could see them utilizing heat lamps in the winter.

I’ve always dined in the bar area at 167 Raw, but they may have outdoor courtyard seating in the back of the restaurant. I could see them utilizing heat lamps in the winter. Social distancing is not being followed here especially at the bar.

Lewis BBQ has plenty of outdoor seating.

Poe’s on Sullivans Island has outdoor seating available and a large tent in their gravel parking lot. They are still not allowing indoor dining. Good for them.

The Boathouse on Isle of Palms has somewhat covered and enclosed outdoor seating available on the back side of the restaurant by the Intercoastal.

All of the restaurants that I mentioned have indoor dining available and are obeying the social distancing and mask requirements with the noted exceptions.

Thank you so much!

Plenty, but the weather will be a crapshoot in Jan/Feb
Many courtyards/patios have fire pits or heaters. Macintosh has a great fire pit patio out back.

@James—good call on Leon’s and Poe’s.
Lewis does hEaters in the courtyard. We pulled some brisket from the freezer this eve.

Charleston winter days can be a damp cold that is miserable. The next day could be 70 degrees

I’m happy to do recon. Virus cases are very low here right now.

heh, I don’t think the weather will bother me too much. Even if it’s in the high-40s and damp, I’ll take that over whatever polar vortex shit (I am absolutely someone who has boiled water and thrown it out onto the porch to watch it turn into vapor) that will descend on Chicago in mid/late-January champagne.gif