$595 Kobe Beef Dinner, anyone?

Got an email from Omakase, a high-end Japanese restaurant in San Francisco, and it was too over-the-top not to share. If you have $595 to spare and Kobe beef with Cristal is your thing, then here you go. Might be a good way to round out a day helicoptering into Screaming Eagle.

Please join us for a once-in-a-lifetime dinner with
Omakase, WAGYUMAFIA and Louis Roederer

For One Night Only: Enjoy the World’s Best Kobe Beef, Sushi and Champagne

Reserve your seat now for a rare chance to enjoy a curated tasting menu that includes the world’s most coveted Kobe beef, Champagne from the world’s most respected vineyard, and sushi from Michelin starred Chef Jackson Yu.

Guests can look forward to tasting Kobe beef personally selected by
Hisato Hamada of WAGYUMAFIA from a small farm in Japan.
Each course will be paired with a careful selection of Champagnes from legendary French producer Louis Roederer.

Included in this already exclusive menu is your opportunity to taste the most expensive sandwich in the world: WAGYUMAFIA’S $180 Kobe beef “Shabusando” Chateaubriand cutlet sandwich that everyone is talking about!

The full event menu for the evening of August 30 is below.

Amuse Bouche
Kobe Wagyu jerky and maguro sesame cornettes
Louis Roederer Cristal 2009

Salt cured ocean trout with figs and fish roe
Lobster with caviar and 24 karat gold
Louis Roederer Brut Nature 2009

Appetizers
Oyster, razor clams, sweet pea dashi, nasturtium
Kobe Wagyu tartar
Louis Roederer Cristal 2007 out of magnum

Nigiri
Akamutsu, Hotate, Uni, Ahi, Toro
Three Kobe beef nigiri
Louis Roederer Cristal 2006 out of magnum

Finishing courses
Kobe Wagyu shiogama
Kobe beef “Shabusando” Chateaubriand cutlet sandwich with original sauce
Napa Valley Dominus 2011

Dessert
Chocolate mousse with sesame, yuzu, peach Champagne
Louis Roederer Carte Blanche demi-sec

This special dinner takes place on Wednesday, August 30, with two seatings: 5:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Each seating is limited to 20 guests. Dinner is $595 per person, excluding tax and gratuity. For reservations, please call Omakase at 415-865-0633.

I’ve had A5 Waygu before (at 5A5) but am too stupid of palate to really grasp its complexities. On the other hand, if the quality meat they’re serving matches a 2011 Napa Cab, I’m pretty sure I have no further opinions to share.

I love that they went off-vintage Napa legend.

Low-brow/Hi-brow?

$24,000 revenue on 40 tops…not a bad haul.

Depending on pour size and amount (food and wine) served $600 ++ isn’t terrible (or so it seems from the outside).

Ridiculous statement.

Objectively (outrageously) expensive for a meal but not necessarily unreasonable. A high-end steak dinner in Japan can easily cost you more than that, without wine.

yep

and yep

I’ve been to Omakase before and left quite full, so it’s possible that the portion sizes x number of courses would make the price relatively reasonable.

Regardless, this one’s not for me.

While it’s out of my price range and I find gold leaf on food to be an annoying affectation I agree with those who say the pricing is not out of line with what they’re serving. And kudos to them for the Champagne/Wagyu pairing - one of the best wine/food matches I’ve had in recent years was some A5 Miyazaki Wagyu with Benoit-Lahaye Violaine.

LastBottleWines had the 2009 Cristal for $165 not long ago, even us peasants can afford that.

Is the sandwich gluten-free?

Debragga has the most incredible Kobe beef, and this 24 oz would be more than enough for 3 possibly 4 people. Gives plenty left over for some wine.
https://www.debragga.com/wagyu-kobe-beef/japanese-wagyu-beef/miyazaki-japanese-wagyu-kobe-beef-style-strip.html

Six ounces per person is probably too much, IMHO. That quality provides more fat than most people can handle in a single serving. Now, for us experienced fat asses…

I got several cases of the 2006 Cristal for well south of that from a certain Berserker business that offers quality champagne here on the regular.

Wifey and I are contemplating attending this dinner at Omakase. Definitely looks epic as long as the portions/pours aren’t microscopic…

It’s also priced because of wagyumafia. Wagyumafia is a really popular Japanese wagyu restaurant. They do all things wagyu

+1. I’ve only had real Japan A5 wagyu once (since it was around $200/lb), but I’m glad we had it as an appetizer, teppayani-style (sp?). Not only the fat ratio, but the taste is clearly different. Not to everyone’s taste.

Alain

In Japan you can pay $8 for an orange; a really good orange, sure, but, still…