Favorite Instant Pot recipes?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#51 Post by H Wallace Jr » January 19th, 2018, 1:08 pm

The 6 qt seems to be plenty for us. We eat a lot with my in-laws and even with 4, we usually have a good deal of leftovers.

We used our slow cooker a ton prior to getting the Instant Pot and the quality of food in the IP just seems way better (less muddled flavors, better texture, etc).

We got the Ultra and I need to dive into some of the features besides pressure, sauté, and reheat...
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by George Hejna » January 19th, 2018, 4:13 pm

We recently went to a cooking demo by Rick Bayless. He raved about them so we ordered one. A quick google search reveals a bunch of recipes. Definitely worth a look.

George

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Ethan Abraham » January 20th, 2018, 2:53 pm

I'm working on this one tonight:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016 ... ecipe.html

So far, looks good, but it illustrates my problem with the instant pot. With all the prepping, sauteing, reducing, bringing up to pressure (twice), and reducing again, it's still a 2 hour plus recipe. If I did it in a le cresuet in the oven, how much longer would it take? Maybe an hour at most? Either way it's way too long for a weeknight, and the extra hour barely makes a difference on the weekend.

Also, the instant pot bottom is way too small for browning, so you need to use extra pans anyway.

todd waldmann

#54 Post by todd waldmann » January 20th, 2018, 7:18 pm

This is what I made tonight. https://twosleevers.com/now-later-butte ... re-cooker/ Pretty tasty alongside a 2015 Weinbach Cuvée Theo Gewurztraminer.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Diane Kessler » January 22nd, 2018, 4:47 am

todd waldmann wrote:This is what I made tonight. https://twosleevers.com/now-later-butte ... re-cooker/ Pretty tasty alongside a 2015 Weinbach Cuvée Theo Gewurztraminer.
I just ordered one, and if it arrives early enough today, this is what I plan to make. Todd, would you change anything in the recipe?

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Diane Kessler » January 23rd, 2018, 4:56 am

Diane Kessler wrote:
todd waldmann wrote:This is what I made tonight. https://twosleevers.com/now-later-butte ... re-cooker/ Pretty tasty alongside a 2015 Weinbach Cuvée Theo Gewurztraminer.
I just ordered one, and if it arrives early enough today, this is what I plan to make. Todd, would you change anything in the recipe?

This turned out very well. Couldn't be easier, but I would increase the amount of chicken.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by RichardFlack » January 23rd, 2018, 3:48 pm

Er silly question, but does this differ from a pressure cooker?
(Apologies if I missed the answer by reading thread too fast).

todd waldmann

#58 Post by todd waldmann » January 24th, 2018, 11:28 am

Diane Kessler wrote:
Diane Kessler wrote:

This turned out very well. Couldn't be easier, but I would increase the amount of chicken.
I just saw your post Diane. I felt like it was missing something. More Garam Masala? It also needed a bit more salt.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

todd waldmann

#59 Post by todd waldmann » January 24th, 2018, 11:30 am

RichardFlack wrote:Er silly question, but does this differ from a pressure cooker?
(Apologies if I missed the answer by reading thread too fast).

This is not a stove top pressure cooker. It is a self-contained unit that is fully programmable. You can choose your settings, hit start, and leave it alone.

Leonard Maran

#60 Post by Leonard Maran » January 25th, 2018, 8:03 pm

I have both a pressure cooker and a crock pot, so why would I need this new sensation?

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by ClarkstonMark » January 26th, 2018, 5:27 am

Leonard Maran wrote:I have both a pressure cooker and a crock pot, so why would I need this new sensation?
Not having an Instant Pot, here are my thoughts.
Instant Pot does in an hour what Crock Pot does in 4-8 hours.
Instant Pot has 5-15 set it and forget it "programs" that a pressure cooker does not have.
I am still on the fence about getting an IP, as I have a 30-40 year old pressure cooker I've never used.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Michael Sopher » January 26th, 2018, 10:34 am

Leonard Maran wrote:I have both a pressure cooker and a crock pot, so why would I need this new sensation?
I had a stove top pressure cooker... bought an Instant Pot... my stove top one is in the trash. No more toying with the flame to get the pressure just right... no more having to be there at all times. set is for x minutes and walk away... maintains intended pressure and then shuts down at set time. I never use the preset programs FWIW... My brown basmati is 22 min + 10NPR, soaked garbanzo beans are X, red beans are Y... etc

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by AlexS » February 9th, 2018, 5:04 pm

c fu wrote:white rice. no joke. one cup water one cup rice, makes it better than any pot on the stove top/rice cooker. Also much quicker
SO MUCH THIS

I suck at rice.

I've singlehandedly reduced rice cookers & countertops into disgusting, glutenous messes of glop -- a skill which came naturally to me after having previously perfected the fine art of scorching the bottom layer of rice in pan while leaving the top mostly raw.

Instant Pot?

Throw in 1 cup Basmati + 1 cup of water, set for 6 minutes and let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes or so.

PERFECT RICE

I was almost reduced to tears it was so good.
s t e w @ r t

Elliot Steele

#64 Post by Elliot Steele » February 9th, 2018, 5:53 pm

AlexS wrote:
c fu wrote:white rice. no joke. one cup water one cup rice, makes it better than any pot on the stove top/rice cooker. Also much quicker
SO MUCH THIS

I suck at rice.

I've singlehandedly reduced rice cookers & countertops into disgusting, glutenous messes of glop -- a skill which came naturally to me after having previously perfected the fine art of scorching the bottom layer of rice in pan while leaving the top mostly raw.

Instant Pot?

Throw in 1 cup Basmati + 1 cup of water, set for 6 minutes and let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes or so.

PERFECT RICE

I was almost reduced to tears it was so good.
Interesting. No need to properly rinse and soak the rice beforehand? That alone could get me to buy one of these. Usually rice is an 8 hour ordeal between the rinsing and soaking and that's before it even gets cooked. The other very important question is can you make tahdig in the instapot?

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by AlexS » February 9th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Nope, no need to rinse and soak!
s t e w @ r t

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Jay Miller » February 10th, 2018, 6:20 am

If it’s even better than my Zojirushi (which I love) then it might be worth it just for that. 6 minutes sounds amazing.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Diane Kessler » February 10th, 2018, 6:51 am

Jay Miller wrote:If it’s even better than my Zojirushi (which I love) then it might be worth it just for that. 6 minutes sounds amazing.

And if you were to slightly sauté diced chicken and onions in the Instant Pot, you could just add spices, then rice, then liquid, and have Biryani cooked in 5 minutes and then 10 minutes natural release. I did rinse the Basmati rice prior to cooking. All in one pot makes cleanup a breeze.

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Michael Sopher » February 10th, 2018, 7:21 am

Jay Miller wrote:If it’s even better than my Zojirushi (which I love) then it might be worth it just for that. 6 minutes sounds amazing.
Getting it up to pressure then 6 min at pressure and the 10 min of NPR adds some. I think time is about even for white rice, I happen to love the bite the rice retains cooked under pressure. Brown rice is a real winner in the Instant Pot

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by AlexS » February 10th, 2018, 8:04 am

Michael, good point, getting up to pressure adds on a good 5-6+ minutes.
s t e w @ r t

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#70 Post by Todd F r e n c h » February 10th, 2018, 8:30 am

AlexS wrote:Michael, good point, getting up to pressure adds on a good 5-6+ minutes.
Ok, totally lost interest now.

Who the hell has THAT kind of time??
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Christine Huang » February 11th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Hi Jay,

As the owner of two Instant Pots, I would tell you to stick with your Zojirushi for making rice. NOTHING beats a Z for rice. However, I can make killer risotto in the IP. I make a bunch of other things in my IP, but I still make rice in my rice cooker.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Jay Miller » February 11th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
Hi Jay,

As the owner of two Instant Pots, I would tell you to stick with your Zojirushi for making rice. NOTHING beats a Z for rice. However, I can make killer risotto in the IP. I make a bunch of other things in my IP, but I still make rice in my rice cooker.
Thank you Christine! That leaves the IP on my to-buy list but takes it off my must buy immediately list.

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Linda Baehr » February 28th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
Hi Jay,

I was just about to ask a rice question.

I got mine about a week ago and tried rice. Japanese sticky rice. The instructions said 4 minutes. I did that and it was dry and toothy. Then I tried regular long grain rice the other day and did five minutes. A little better, but still too toothy and dry, and the bottom was hard and brown (not necessarily a bad thing). I will try again for 6 minutes, but honestly, I can see myself sticking with my rice cooker. Nearly the same time with pressuring up and down, but so far with better results.
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by M.Kaplan » February 28th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Very good info. My Zoji is so old they no longer make replacement parts for it and the battery is deader than Monty Python’s parrot, but it still makes great rice. Was going to replace it with an Instant Pot, but won’t now. Thanks!
---Mark

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Michael Sopher » March 1st, 2018, 4:46 am

Linda Baehr wrote:

I got mine about a week ago and tried rice. Japanese sticky rice. The instructions said 4 minutes. I did that and it was dry and toothy. Then I tried regular long grain rice the other day and did five minutes. A little better, but still too toothy and dry, and the bottom was hard and brown (not necessarily a bad thing). I will try again for 6 minutes, but honestly, I can see myself sticking with my rice cooker. Nearly the same time with pressuring up and down, but so far with better results.
You may just want to play with your ratios and time a bit. For long grain white rice 6 min at pressure and a 10 min NPR is kind of accepted.. 1:1 ratio as a starting point but try a little more water if it is too dry for your taste.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Paul Miller » March 1st, 2018, 7:53 am

Hope this doesn't apply to any of you.

Instant Pot recalled for fire hazard: popular cooking device can melt
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Jay Miller » March 1st, 2018, 8:57 am

M.Kaplan wrote:Very good info. My Zoji is so old they no longer make replacement parts for it and the battery is deader than Monty Python’s parrot, but it still makes great rice. Was going to replace it with an Instant Pot, but won’t now. Thanks!
The quality control on those machines is really amazing. The single most used appliance I own.

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Linda Baehr » March 1st, 2018, 12:51 pm

Michael Sopher wrote:
Linda Baehr wrote:

You may just want to play with your ratios and time a bit. For long grain white rice 6 min at pressure and a 10 min NPR is kind of accepted.. 1:1 ratio as a starting point but try a little more water if it is too dry for your taste.
I was going to try 6 minutes next since that seems to be the time everyone here uses. I wonder why the recipe book said 4? Hmm....
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by dcornutt » March 1st, 2018, 1:05 pm

I would own an Instant Pot just for the success making steel cut oatmeal. Easy and perfect every time.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Poppy Davis » March 1st, 2018, 2:05 pm

Paul Miller wrote:Hope this doesn't apply to any of you.

FYI - It's only for a model that's exclusively sold at Walmart. If you didn't buy yours there, no need to check it.
Poppy Davis Fruchtman, formerly ITB

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Mike Evans » March 2nd, 2018, 6:10 am

Poppy Davis wrote:
Paul Miller wrote:Hope this doesn't apply to any of you.

FYI - It's only for a model that's exclusively sold at Walmart. If you didn't buy yours there, no need to check it.
And if your Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, there is no need to check, as the recalled model is not a pressure cooker.

T@ntina A

Re: Favorite Instant Pot recipes?

#82 Post by T@ntina A » March 12th, 2019, 7:30 am

There are a ton of recipe books for instant pot and pressure cooking. A lot of them are worthless and food turns out mushy. I've probably bought 20 of them and end up using only one.
This is my favorite https://amzn.to/2T29tq2

The easy chicken and dumplings recipe is perfect for a cold day that you are wanting comfort food!

Michael Ferris

#83 Post by Michael Ferris » March 12th, 2019, 3:55 pm

T@ntina A wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 7:30 am
There are a ton of recipe books for instant pot and pressure cooking. A lot of them are worthless and food turns out mushy. I've probably bought 20 of them and end up using only one.
This is my favorite https://amzn.to/2T29tq2

The easy chicken and dumplings recipe is perfect for a cold day that you are wanting comfort food!
Thanks for the recco! I agree that a lot of the recipes can turn out mushy.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by alan weinberg » March 12th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Love my IP but should have bought the 8 qt and not the 6 qt. I make chicken w wild rice soup—saving the carcass of a roasted chicken in the freezer for this.

Chicken carcass w some attached meat
Quartered large onion
5 peeled carrots
4 stalks celery
3 cloves garlic
Pepper
3 T ground sage

Fill w water to max level

Hit soup (40 min) and make a box of Uncle Ben’s Long grain and wild rice in a separate pot.

When soup is done, take out all the chicken and bones and separate from the veggies and broth. Blend veggies and broth w a hand blender till smooth. Add back the diced chicken pieces and the cooked rice.

Makes an amazing soup.

Stan Y.

#85 Post by Stan Y. » March 13th, 2019, 6:24 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
February 28th, 2018, 7:24 pm
Very good info. My Zoji is so old they no longer make replacement parts for it and the battery is deader than Monty Python’s parrot, but it still makes great rice.
Hahaha same here, and dead battery means an unstoppably annoying rendition of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".

Alan we'll try the chicken soup. I had forgotten about trying rice in this and the general mushiness that other folks mention has been my general result so far, but for soups and stews that's not necessarily a bad thing.
S. Y @ t € s

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by MitchTallan » March 15th, 2019, 3:44 pm

I despise fads. If y'all are still talking instapots five years from now, I will give it a harder look and still likely say "nah".
Sous vide baths/sticks? No thanks.
Portable high heat steak broilers? No thanks.
Pizza ovens? No thanks.
My oven, range, pots, and knives do all I need.
Zojirushi? What took me so long?

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#87 Post by Robert M yers » March 17th, 2019, 6:22 am

If you make broth an instant pot is worth it for that alone. Hours and hours of time saved here.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Chris Blum » March 17th, 2019, 7:59 am

Making oatmeal with rolled oats right now.

2c old fashioned rolled oats
2c coconut milk
1c water (plus another cup for steam)
Dried fruit of choice
Baking Spices of choice
Pinch of salt

Insert wire rack. Find an oven safe bowl that fits and mix all ingredients in that bowl.
Pour that second cup of water in
Set the bowl in the rack.
8 minutes on normal pressure, 5 on natural release.
Stir and serve.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Jay Miller » March 18th, 2019, 7:05 am

MitchTallan wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 3:44 pm
I despise fads. If y'all are still talking instapots five years from now, I will give it a harder look and still likely say "nah".
Sous vide baths/sticks? No thanks.
Portable high heat steak broilers? No thanks.
Pizza ovens? No thanks.
My oven, range, pots, and knives do all I need.
Zojirushi? What took me so long?
Sous vide has been around for much more than 5 years, even for home use. At this point I think it's proven its worth for various specific uses.

You can't expect everything to be a ridiculously perfect as a Zojirushi rice cooker.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Chris Blum » March 18th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Mitch's model stock portfolio:
600 shares ATG American Truss & Girdle Co.
100 shares RWD ReWindR (New Jersey based Start up producing high quality VCR tape rewinding machines)
400 shares BGY United Buggy Whip
250 shares AM Allegheny Musket
300 shares WFC Wells Fargo (Bought by mistake, not realizing it was a Bank)
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”