Looking for a "special occasion" restaurant in Florence

If current plans hold we’ll be in Florence on Arnold’s 50th birthday and I’d like to splurge on someplace nice. Any recommendations for a restaurant that would hopefully have both great food and ambiance? A view would be a nice plus. Wine is of minor importance. We’d prefer not to pack a jacket and tie but if we have to…

Cuisine can be simple and classic or modern so long as it’s well done.

I’ve been googling a lot but am getting more and more lost…

Any opinions on La Bottega del Buon Caffe, Konnubio or Ora d’Aria?

Enoteca Pinchiorri. Not sure of spelling and only one data point but it was a revelation. Michelin 3 star.

Thank you Alan!

pinchiorri is definitely not a “wine of minor importance” restaurant, although it is amazing.

But now that I’ve looked at it probably more than I feel comfortable spending. Though it obviously does fit my criteria so thanks! I’ll add another caveat that the food portion should come in at no more than $200/person pre tax/tip.

I should look up tipping conventions for Italy.

This list may be helpful: The best Michelin starred restaurants in Florence

Or this one: The 36 Best Florence Restaurants - Eater

Please report back.

Edit - I found another interesting list: Restaurants in Florence: 20 Top Choices from Food Critics, Travelers and Locals - Italian Fix

Enoteca Pinchiorri is right around your budget. There is not tipping. I believe VAT is included in the menu prices.

George

When I looked at the website there were 2 prix fixe menus, one at 225 Euros and the other at 275 Euros

Yes and there is an a la carte. There is no tipping so you are at 225 Euros pp which is right around your budget a little high but maybe worth it for a special occasion

George

You’re right. If that includes both tax and tip then it’s suddenly much more manageable. Any recommendations between the Discovery menu and the Contemporary menu?

Meanwhile Osteria Tripperia Il Magazzino is sounding perfect for more casual meals. Arnold is a huge fan of well prepared tripe.

A starred restaurant with good cellar and a beautiful view of Florence.

La Leggenda dei Frati

Thanks Tony! I was looking at that one but reviews on tripadvisor describe the food as rather uneven. Have you been?

Jay, for the longest time, my “secret” restaurant in Florence was Ristorante Dino. It’s neither a splurge nor does it have a view, but the cooking is superb and the wine cellar a real gem. Family owned, and now run by the second generation. I used to go a lot when Dino, the patriarch, ran the place. He’d ask me what I wanted to drink, and I told him to bring something with real age on it. He disappeared into the cellar and always came up clutching bottles from the '60s. The kitchen turns out superb examples of the local cuisine. Non Italian speakers won’t have any problem navigating the menu because the son is married to a Canadian who patrols the dining room. One caveat - I haven’t been in a couple of years, but friends tell me that the menu is sprinkled with dishes found in other regions of Italy. When Dino ran the place, the menu was all Tuscan.

Yes, in 2010. It’s certainly a special occasion restaurant with beautiful views and molto romantico.

Many years ago when we were there, Cibreo and Zibibbo were the hot foodie places in Florence; I remember a particularly good, low-key meal at Cibreo. Looks like Cibreo spawned multiple places in the same area; any idea if either of these are still worthy?

Dined at Cibreo (the Trattoria) in 2011 and 2013. The food and service were very good, but had to line up for a long wait for a table in both cases and which was not bad as our rental apartment was only 1 block away and you only need 1 person to wait in line.

The formal restaurant was just across the Trattoria and it looked really nice, romantic and much fancier. No line-up, as I guess one can reserve a table over there. Didn’t try as it wasn’t in the plans for us.

+1 for Cibreo the restaurant. They took reservations the last time I was there: great wine list (and young somm), unusual cuisine, yet still has warmth and family feel that European restaurants can have. The Enotecha is storied, especially the cellar, but it has all the elaborate 3 star trappings (and prices, on wines especially, if I recall), though of course great if that’s what you’re after.

1 Like

my fondest memories of eating in firenze are at la giostra
when the “prince” was still alive it was quite a performance by he and his 2 sons, but it remained excellent even after his death
food is always very solid and appropriate for tuscany and the atmosphere is very convivial
many late nights there with far too much limocello

fwiw

For a view and ambiance Sessio on the top of the Westin Excelsior over looking the Arno. We had the ravioli stuffed with Ribolita and black truffles, veal wellington and pigeon all very good. Schedule you dinner about half an hour before sunset. Another choice is the Winter Garden by Ciano at the St. Regis. A one star across the square from the Westin. Excellent food but no view.

Wow Peter, you just took me back. We ate twice at Dino when we were in Florence, really enjoyed it. This was a number of years ago but it’s nice to hear that they’re still on point.