B.L.T

[I had been having a craving that I could not get past for weeks. I had everything ready to go 2 weekends ago when someone threw out my hot house tomato because it had a blemish on it. The craving would not subside. I had to have it. So with my wife out and my kids napping I was able to take my time and indulge. ![IMG_0665.JPG|640x480](upload://lb0vdzUpmx9qArGSrS5ehv014z6.jpeg)
Heirloom tomatoes, slowly crisped hickory smoked bacon, griddled sourdough, mashed avocado, romaine, pesto and robiola cheese.

2017 Meal of the Year
B.L.T.
IMG_0673.JPG

I approve this message.

[welldone.gif]

I love BLT’s, I called this one a Mexican BLT had Oaxaca Cheese, Avocado, Heirloom Tomato, Black Pig Bacon

You should have put some cheese on those refried beans

It crossed my mind.

I have to admit, while those look amazing, the best BLT leave out the L and everything else.

Great Toasted Bread
Exceptionally thin layer of mayo
Thick cut Bacon
Thinly cut tomatoes (well peppered)
Thick cut Bacon
Exceptionally thin layer of mayo
Great Toasted Bread

now i’m hungry…damn that looks awesome especially the mexican blt!

the best blt i’ve had the pleasure of trying was made by mel - glenn “doc” levine’s wife. i think her homemade spread (caesar like dressing) tops it off. hopefully the good ol doc can post a pic; although it tends to disappear rather quickly, not sure if there are any evidence :slight_smile:

This is heresy. Tomato is a key ingredient. If you have access to a delicious heirloom tomato, in this case the best option being a black krim, you put a slab on that bad boy and count on the umami and acid to make the sandwich. Bacon is secondary.

He was dissing on the lettuce and not the tomato… (I don’t think you are in violent disagreement other than about the thickness of the tomato slices.)

Yeah, it’s the lettuce that doesn’t add anything. Tomato, I like a lot of it, I just like it cut thin and stacked…

Ah yes, so thinly sliced it’s all surface area. There is nowhere for the flavor to hide.

It’s the ‘crisp’ that doesn’t add anything. Give me juicy bacon! Now!

I would agree that lettuce is the least important part but in my opinion it is a necessary part of the sandwich…not a lot of it but just a couple of slice but they have to be crisp and clean. I wasted a bunch of lettuce trimming to get those pieces in the pictures.

Both of those sandwiches look great, though I am generally against putting cheese on a BLT.

Last week we made BT’s, we were out of lettuce and I agree with those who said lettuce isn’t a requirement. Good bread, bacon, tomato are key, then salt/pepper, good mayo (pesto sounds nice)…avocado is always a welcomed addition!

yes to the lettuce and avocado, no to the cheese (except maybe pimento cheese)

Pimento Cheese should be outlawed! [barf.gif]

I love a BLT. Used to take the tomato off but finally learned a good, ripe tomato completes the sandwich. I also like BLTs with sundried tomatos. More flavor. I’ve finally outgrown my childhood favorite, the PMT. One heavy Pancake with a sufficient coating of Maple syrup, folded over stacks of Bacon. U

Cheese on a BLT? Ludicrous!

It’s a BLT, not a BLTCAP.

I’m afraid that I agree with this and feel pretty much the same way about avocado. Looks like a nice sandwich, but I’m afraid you need a new moniker - not a BLT

All I’m going to say is don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.