Kitchen Gardens - Who's planting what this year?

I’m impatiently counting down to the last frost day here in Westchester, which will be in May. In the meantime, I rigged up a grow station in the basement and have started my seedlings. Last year, I built/bought 2 4x8 sub-irrigated raised beds, a 2x8 sub-irrigated elevated bed, 2 Earthboxes, several large planters for the patio, and I’m tempted to build another sub-irrigated bed. Most of what I’m planting this year I haven’t grown before, so we’ll see how things turn out. If anyone has any tips on these, I’d appreciate it!

March Starts
Tomatoes: 2 Cherokee Purple, 2 Green Zebras, 2 Cosmonaut Volkov, 2 Honey Drop Cherry, 2 Tiny Tim
Peppers: 2 Bridge to Paris, 2 Padron Hot, 4 Shishito, 2 Korean Hot
Okra: 3 Burgundy, 3 Clemson Spineless
Onion: Cadorna Leeks
Herbs: 6 English Thyme, 6 French Thyme, 6 French Rosemary, 2 Shiso, 9 Lemongrass, tons of Thai Queen Basil, Rosie Basil, Sweet Basil, Italian Dark Green Flat Parsley, Slow-Bolt Cilantro, Common Sage
Fruit: 4 Aunt Molly’s Ground Cherries
Flowers: Provence Blue Lavender, English Tall Lavender, Hidcote Dwarf Lavender, Breadseed Poppy Mix,

April Starts
Peas: 4 Sugar Snap, 4 Oregon Sugar Pod II,
Onions: White Lisbon Scallion, Tokyo Long White
Lettuces:Corn Salad, Mache, Mixed Mesclun
Cucumbers: 2 Mexican Sour Gherkins, 1 Lemon Cucumber
Herbs: Chives, Garlic Chives, Bouquet Dill

May Starts:
Green Beans: Maxibel Haricot Vert, Royalty Purple Pod, Blue Lake 47 Bush Bean
Herbs: Tarragon

I’m tempted to grow potatoes this year. Any tried and true methods to share?

wow! that’s awesome for living in the city. I’m impressed!

We moved out to the 'burbs a few years ago, so we have a wee bit more space than we did in the city. :slight_smile:

Kale, parsley, thyme, basil.

No tomatoes, anymore. They ripen just while we are out of the city. We would return around Labor Day, only to find a sad mess.

Last year, I planted Brandywine, Sweet 100’s, Black Krim, and Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes. They ripened throughout the Summer and I told our house/dog sitter to help herself to whatever was ripe. She loved it!

I also planted Kale, but the Cabbage Worms got to them before I did, along with the broccoli and collards, so I’m not planting them this year.

Yeah some worms made the kale resemble green Swiss cheese.
For this year, at least I got an early harvest, before they did.

First cherry tomatoes are about 2 weeks from being ripe. Romaine is being cut for salads. Brussels sprouts are a bit slow. Artichokes are starting to put on some height. Sugar snaps are about 2 feet high and should begin flowering in a week or so. Coriander is bolting of course. Getting ready to plant LOTS of basil.

Very interesting, and lovely to see a post by you! Let us know if ever you’ll be in DC and feel in the mood for another OL.

Hi Randall!

I know, it’s been quite a while! We might be in DC later this year, so I’ll let you know.

Milton,

Your cherry tomatoes are already ready?? Mine are only 4" high right now and I can’t even think of putting them outside for quite a while. Chance of snow this weekend up here.

Well, please do keep us in mind, Christine, should you folks have DC plans that would accommodate an OL.

E11CDACF-E27F-4D37-925E-CE9CE64958A5.jpg
Planted the hoop last fall with “all salad greens in house seeds” every once and a while I’d open it up and toss a few shovels of snow on the dirt besides that nada… the arugula plants were hooped till the wind got rougher than the cover.

As far as this up coming season? No ideas yet other than water water water… I got some soaker hose and got to figure out if I want material or mulch on the surface

Yes I actually misspoke, when I went outside at lunch yesterday I spied this
IMG_2290.JPG

Alpine strawberries. . .
IMG_6318.JPG