Chicago Restaurant Thread

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
Michael Klein
Posts: 505
Joined: March 24th, 2015, 10:01 am

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#701 Post by Michael Klein » April 30th, 2020, 1:44 pm

George Hejna wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 1:30 pm
Michael Klein wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 12:42 pm
starting to feel like wave two of closure/reopening/inventory sell off is underway. between aviary/alinea selling all their old/expensive whiskey & fat rice permanently closing (or changing), its been a strange week.

I am very sorry for everyone in this business. Really. I just can't even fathom.

Very interesting NYT article about Fat Rice:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/dini ... virus.html
The Aviary in NYC closed permanently. It is possible some of this is from there.

George
good call on that one.

Scary blowouts on wine do seem to have tapered off, but news like fat rice not re-opening scares the crap out of me.

Not to take this too far, but i really fear for the whole industry. I really wonder if we saw the restaurant bubble during lets say 2005-2020, especially somewhere like chicago. I just dont know how places like Giant (one of my last meals pre-covid) will ever make it back.

Do they completely re-concept?
Tasting menu for way more $$$?
More to go/delivery to complement likely less capacity for dining in?
When will anyone in their right mind open a pure, tasting menu driven restaurant?

I could keep going. I hope things just go back to how they were before, but I truly don't see sardine packed dining rooms, communal seating, and more.... ever returning.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#702 Post by Corey N. » April 30th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Mel Hill wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 1:12 pm
Corey N. wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:13 am
Alinea group selling its rare whiskies.
the pricing is top of market from what I saw
Some stuff wasn't too bad. Stagg can be had for less at MSRP, but is routinely priced higher at retail. And I thought the Pappy pricing was less than what I recalled (but I am not a buyer of PVW).

A friend of mine who is a chef/owner of 3 French restaurants posted this on his Facebook page...I share Michael's thoughts about the hospitality industry. It's really hard to imagine what the post-Covid dining landscape will look like, but I think it's all but a certainty that there will be substantially fewer independent restaurants.

People Don’t Know How Bleak It Really Is’ There is no road map to reopening New York’s restaurants.
A recent survey by the James Beard Foundation found that approximately one in five restaurants will come out the other side of the pandemic. Colicchio predicts “it’s way more than that.” But at least when they do open their doors, it will be into a world that recognizes what a dangerous game, and what a tenuous position, they’re in — and perhaps that might be worth paying for. “Maybe,” Colicchio says, “they’ll realize just how fragile this industry actually is.”
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17307
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#703 Post by David K o l i n » April 30th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Corey N. wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 4:11 pm
Mel Hill wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 1:12 pm
Corey N. wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:13 am
Alinea group selling its rare whiskies.
the pricing is top of market from what I saw
Some stuff wasn't too bad. Stagg can be had for less at MSRP, but is routinely priced higher at retail. And I thought the Pappy pricing was less than what I recalled (but I am not a buyer of PVW).

A friend of mine who is a chef/owner of 3 French restaurants posted this on his Facebook page...I share Michael's thoughts about the hospitality industry. It's really hard to imagine what the post-Covid dining landscape will look like, but I think it's all but a certainty that there will be substantially fewer independent restaurants.

People Don’t Know How Bleak It Really Is’ There is no road map to reopening New York’s restaurants.
A recent survey by the James Beard Foundation found that approximately one in five restaurants will come out the other side of the pandemic. Colicchio predicts “it’s way more than that.” But at least when they do open their doors, it will be into a world that recognizes what a dangerous game, and what a tenuous position, they’re in — and perhaps that might be worth paying for. “Maybe,” Colicchio says, “they’ll realize just how fragile this industry actually is.”
Michael's Mother's Day offerings looked great

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#704 Post by Corey N. » April 30th, 2020, 6:31 pm

David K o l i n wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Michael's Mother's Day offerings looked great
Obviously he’s a friend so I’m biased, but I think he’s a fantastic chef. I still dream about that truffle soufflé we had.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#705 Post by George Hejna » May 1st, 2020, 7:11 am

If you do the math it looks like Alinea is cranking out $45K worth of food for their 15th anniversary menu. PER DAY. This does not account for any alcohol sales.

George

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7799
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#706 Post by Paul Miller » May 1st, 2020, 2:49 pm

Just reserved Boka for Sunday evening. Will let you know.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#707 Post by George Hejna » May 2nd, 2020, 10:56 am


User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#708 Post by George Hejna » May 3rd, 2020, 7:15 am

Did the girl and the goat "goatceries". Weekend meal prep. 4 meals that you prepare for $70pp. 2 dinners, 2 brunches. All the food was excellent. Dinners were goat tostadas and a ramp rubbed smoked chicken. It did take significant cooking. There are about 50 ingredients all packaged really well. You are given a photograph as a key so you can tell what is what. Overall a lot of fun as the entire family can join in the cooking and something different than just prepared carry out.

The one complaint is that the pickup was not like the others. A long line of of people (maybe 25) were waiting outside the pick up window. They were all in masks and socially distanced but this could be planned A LOT better.

George

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7579
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#709 Post by Nick Gangas » May 3rd, 2020, 1:14 pm

Corey N. wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:13 am
Alinea group selling its rare whiskies.
how do I find this ?

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#710 Post by Corey N. » May 3rd, 2020, 2:18 pm

Nick Gangas wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Corey N. wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:13 am
Alinea group selling its rare whiskies.
how do I find this ?
Most of the “cherries” have been picked. Report back of you end up grabbing anything.

https://thealineagroupstore.com/collect ... its-cellar
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7799
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#711 Post by Paul Miller » May 4th, 2020, 12:48 pm

We did Boka last night. Very tasty. Quite a few people lined up by the curb to get their meals. Seemed to be more Boka cars than Alinea. They were then sending people in cars around the corner to relieve congestion. Since I walked up, I sat just briefly in their outdoor patio. Several other people also walked over.
IMG_5935.JPG
The meal included Amish chicken (delicious), which was very similar to a rotisserie chicken with a lime/garlic sauce (so-so). I'm not a big carrot fan, but these were my favorite item of the menu. Were marinated and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Mashed potatoes were good, although a little salty. They were whipped to a fluff. Nice Spring salad medley with cheese, asparagus and radish, and came with a tart vinagerette. Rolls were so-so. And the chocolate cake was a chocolate cake.
IMG_5938.JPG
IMG_5940.jpg
IMG_5942.JPG
IMG_5944.JPG

I probably liked this better than the Alinea duck. Price was about $55, and was setup to feed two people (probably could do 3, as we are stretching this out to tonight).

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#712 Post by George Hejna » May 10th, 2020, 9:23 am

The Alinea 15th anniversary to go meal was excellent. Took a little bit of prep but definitely worth it. An absolute steal at $50.

George

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7579
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#713 Post by Nick Gangas » May 11th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Corey N. wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 2:18 pm
Nick Gangas wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Corey N. wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:13 am
Alinea group selling its rare whiskies.
how do I find this ?
Most of the “cherries” have been picked. Report back of you end up grabbing anything.

https://thealineagroupstore.com/collect ... its-cellar
umm nothing for me but thanks. someone told me The Office has a barrel pick 14 year Eagle Rare they bought last year.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5509
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#714 Post by Siun o'Connell » May 11th, 2020, 4:05 pm

The Kitchen is doing varied menus to go but also having a “marketplace” which includes frozen quarts of their wonderful Bolognese and their amazing tomato soup. Planning my order!

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#715 Post by Corey N. » May 11th, 2020, 4:14 pm

George Hejna wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 9:23 am
The Alinea 15th anniversary to go meal was excellent. Took a little bit of prep but definitely worth it. An absolute steal at $50.

George
We are doing Alinea this weekend. I’m looking forward to it.

And while it goes against the spirit of this thread, a friend from SF and I decided to get the same cookbook (Za’hav) and we are going to cook our way through SIP.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7799
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#716 Post by Paul Miller » May 11th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Doing Boka again this Friday. They changed their menu. Trying the pork.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#717 Post by George Hejna » May 12th, 2020, 7:45 am

Paul Miller wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 4:26 pm
Doing Boka again this Friday. They changed their menu. Trying the pork.
They "released" 12 - 21 day age ducks for pick up this Wednesday. I was able to grab a couple. Looking forward to it.

Also Elske has a salmon dinner this weekend that looks great.

George

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#718 Post by Corey N. » May 12th, 2020, 7:54 am

Anyone who has had the Alinea anniversary meal, what did you drink with it?
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7799
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#719 Post by Paul Miller » May 12th, 2020, 7:56 am

George Hejna wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:45 am
Paul Miller wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 4:26 pm
Doing Boka again this Friday. They changed their menu. Trying the pork.
They "released" 12 - 21 day age ducks for pick up this Wednesday. I was able to grab a couple. Looking forward to it.

Also Elske has a salmon dinner this weekend that looks great.

George
Wow. I missed seeing that. I love duck. How did you hear about it?

User avatar
Ryan Kilkenney
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1060
Joined: July 29th, 2009, 7:36 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#720 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » May 12th, 2020, 8:09 am

Corey N. wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:54 am
Anyone who has had the Alinea anniversary meal, what did you drink with it?
Diet Coke. If I had been drinking wine that night, I would have gone with champagne. The only traditionally red-paired dish, the short rib and mashed potatoes, is sweet (root beer and vanilla).

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#721 Post by Corey N. » May 12th, 2020, 8:20 am

Ryan Kilkenney wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 8:09 am
Corey N. wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:54 am
Anyone who has had the Alinea anniversary meal, what did you drink with it?
Diet Coke. If I had been drinking wine that night, I would have gone with champagne. The only traditionally red-paired dish, the short rib and mashed potatoes, is sweet (root beer and vanilla).
You had me going for a second.

Thank you; my first thought was Champagne. Linda is less of a fan than I am, but I suppose I can always open up another bottle.
___

A bit OT, but it looks like Tock is crushing it during the pandemic. My hunch is that when things get back to normalish, OpenTable will have a serious competitor in the marketplace.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#722 Post by Corey N. » May 12th, 2020, 11:15 am

Nick Gangas wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 1:14 pm
Corey N. wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 2:18 pm
Nick Gangas wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 1:14 pm


how do I find this ?
Most of the “cherries” have been picked. Report back of you end up grabbing anything.

https://thealineagroupstore.com/collect ... its-cellar
umm nothing for me but thanks. someone told me The Office has a barrel pick 14 year Eagle Rare they bought last year.
They restocked.

https://thealineagroupstore.com/
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#723 Post by George Hejna » May 12th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Paul Miller wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:56 am
George Hejna wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:45 am
Paul Miller wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 4:26 pm
Doing Boka again this Friday. They changed their menu. Trying the pork.
They "released" 12 - 21 day age ducks for pick up this Wednesday. I was able to grab a couple. Looking forward to it.

Also Elske has a salmon dinner this weekend that looks great.

George
Wow. I missed seeing that. I love duck. How did you hear about it?
Lee Wolen's social media through a friend.

George

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7799
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#724 Post by Paul Miller » May 12th, 2020, 2:29 pm

George Hejna wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 2:20 pm
Paul Miller wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:56 am
George Hejna wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:45 am


They "released" 12 - 21 day age ducks for pick up this Wednesday. I was able to grab a couple. Looking forward to it.

Also Elske has a salmon dinner this weekend that looks great.

George
Wow. I missed seeing that. I love duck. How did you hear about it?
Lee Wolen's social media through a friend.

George
Well, I'm following him on Instagram now!

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7799
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#725 Post by Paul Miller » May 17th, 2020, 11:22 am

Paul Miller wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 2:29 pm
George Hejna wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 2:20 pm
Paul Miller wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 7:56 am


Wow. I missed seeing that. I love duck. How did you hear about it?
Lee Wolen's social media through a friend.

George
Well, I'm following him on Instagram now!
Trying to decide. Duck on Wednesday, or duck lasagne on Thursday?

Did the pork on Friday. Was delicious. Pictures don't do justice.

IMG_3437.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#726 Post by George Hejna » May 17th, 2020, 11:40 am

Duck was not worth the $$ IMO. Legs were great, breast - texture was off. Sides were great.

Elske's salmon was excellent across the entire menu. Assuming you like Scandinavian food.

George

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7799
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#727 Post by Paul Miller » May 17th, 2020, 11:42 am

George Hejna wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 11:40 am
Duck was not worth the $$ IMO. Legs were great, breast - texture was off. Sides were great.

Elske's salmon was excellent across the entire menu. Assuming you like Scandinavian food.

George
Thanks for the feedback. The cost is hard to swallow.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#728 Post by George Hejna » May 17th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Paul Miller wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 11:42 am
George Hejna wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 11:40 am
Duck was not worth the $$ IMO. Legs were great, breast - texture was off. Sides were great.

Elske's salmon was excellent across the entire menu. Assuming you like Scandinavian food.

George
Thanks for the feedback. The cost is hard to swallow.
I would pass. Get the Elske meal at $29. Oriole is doing their Caraway Cappelini (signature dish) and sides for half the cost of the duck.

Doing Smyth Pho tonight that looks amazing for $28pp. The Alinea 15 year is a steal at $50pp. There is a lot of duck though which is nice we made duck tacos the next night.

George

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#729 Post by George Hejna » May 21st, 2020, 9:09 am

More Pappy was added to the Alinea store if anyone is interested.

George

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#730 Post by George Hejna » May 22nd, 2020, 9:34 am

Alinea has their cellar or part of their cellar online for sale. Pick up only. Didn't notice any bargains but some nice wines.

https://thealineagroupstore.com/collect ... r/burgundy

George

Michael Klein
Posts: 505
Joined: March 24th, 2015, 10:01 am

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#731 Post by Michael Klein » May 27th, 2020, 10:55 am

Anyone tried the more recent Alinea spring tasting menu? Might give it a try this Friday.

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7579
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#732 Post by Nick Gangas » June 13th, 2020, 10:14 am

My anniversary today. Not going today but any recommendations for dinner ? Prefer to go out this week.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#733 Post by George Hejna » June 13th, 2020, 10:21 am

Look at the Loyalist menu. Very French. Much more Smyth than Loyalist IMO. Looks great.

George

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7799
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#734 Post by Paul Miller » June 13th, 2020, 10:27 am

Did the Boka lamb last night. Enjoyed everything.

Doing Alinea steak next Friday.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#735 Post by George Hejna » June 13th, 2020, 10:43 am

Doing Smyth soft shell crab tonight.

Mako came out with an Omakase that looks great but $125pp is steep.

Did Omakase Yume. Flavors were great but everything is in one bowl, fish on top rice on bottom stuff scattered about. Certainly easy for togo but was not a fan of the presentation. Think it was only $50 though.

George

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7579
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#736 Post by Nick Gangas » June 13th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Really looking for a place to dine out.
Would also love to be able to bring a bottle.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#737 Post by George Hejna » June 14th, 2020, 8:02 am

Nick Gangas wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Really looking for a place to dine out.
Would also love to be able to bring a bottle.
Yes. Check out the Loyalist dine in menu. I have brought many bottles to Smyth. Shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.smythandtheloyalist.com/the-loyalist/

George

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7579
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#738 Post by Nick Gangas » June 14th, 2020, 1:39 pm

George Hejna wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 8:02 am
Nick Gangas wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Really looking for a place to dine out.
Would also love to be able to bring a bottle.
Yes. Check out the Loyalist dine in menu. I have brought many bottles to Smyth. Shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.smythandtheloyalist.com/the-loyalist/

George
This looks interesting. Still wanting something more upscale. I made a reso at RPM Seafood. We'll see.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#739 Post by George Hejna » June 14th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Nick Gangas wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 1:39 pm
George Hejna wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 8:02 am
Nick Gangas wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Really looking for a place to dine out.
Would also love to be able to bring a bottle.
Yes. Check out the Loyalist dine in menu. I have brought many bottles to Smyth. Shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.smythandtheloyalist.com/the-loyalist/

George
This looks interesting. Still wanting something more upscale. I made a reso at RPM Seafood. We'll see.
I think it might be difficult to combine outside dining and upscale. That being said Ever is open for reservations starting 7/29. champagne.gif

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7579
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#740 Post by Nick Gangas » June 15th, 2020, 1:01 pm

George Hejna wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 1:55 pm
Nick Gangas wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 1:39 pm
George Hejna wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 8:02 am


Yes. Check out the Loyalist dine in menu. I have brought many bottles to Smyth. Shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.smythandtheloyalist.com/the-loyalist/

George
This looks interesting. Still wanting something more upscale. I made a reso at RPM Seafood. We'll see.
I think it might be difficult to combine outside dining and upscale. That being said Ever is open for reservations starting 7/29. champagne.gif
I see your point. I do love what Smyth and the Loyalist do.

Michael Klein
Posts: 505
Joined: March 24th, 2015, 10:01 am

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#741 Post by Michael Klein » June 15th, 2020, 1:05 pm

What a fun weekend. I went to Park and Field for a drink and Big Star for dinner with my wife on Friday Night. Sat, we went to parsons for brunch.

I thought everywhere did a great job and we felt very safe.

Heading to Daisies this Friday and planning to bring a couple bottles. Will report back corkage/vibe, but I am very, very excited.

s.nellessen
Posts: 964
Joined: May 4th, 2010, 5:05 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#742 Post by s.nellessen » June 20th, 2020, 5:53 am

Looks like we are 'Go' for indoor dining starting Friday June 26.
Steve N.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#743 Post by Corey N. » June 20th, 2020, 7:01 am

s.nellessen wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 5:53 am
Looks like we are 'Go' for indoor dining starting Friday June 26.
Lori said we should have already started indoor dining. Very curious statement. I can only imagine she looked at the budget and panicked.

So much for data.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7799
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#744 Post by Paul Miller » June 20th, 2020, 11:19 am

Did the Alinea steak dinner last night. Was RICH! And I'm paying for it today. Last night I was STUFFED. Was tasty, although a bit salty.

Started with a lobster bisque. Then did the steak, salad, and potatoes. Ended with strawberry shortbread.
104467866_10207078929609757_1127409772118701622_n.jpg
104359887_10207078929889764_1342141084473399463_n.jpg
104915835_10217024852524581_5645436494714762122_n.jpg

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7579
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#745 Post by Nick Gangas » June 22nd, 2020, 8:22 am

Corey N. wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 7:01 am
s.nellessen wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 5:53 am
Looks like we are 'Go' for indoor dining starting Friday June 26.
Lori said we should have already started indoor dining. Very curious statement. I can only imagine she looked at the budget and panicked.

So much for data.
Yes and nothing form the state yet. Said we "should" be a go on Friday but no guidance. The clown show continues on.

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#746 Post by George Hejna » June 22nd, 2020, 9:26 am

Nick Gangas wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 8:22 am
Corey N. wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 7:01 am
s.nellessen wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 5:53 am
Looks like we are 'Go' for indoor dining starting Friday June 26.
Lori said we should have already started indoor dining. Very curious statement. I can only imagine she looked at the budget and panicked.

So much for data.
Yes and nothing form the state yet. Said we "should" be a go on Friday but no guidance. The clown show continues on.
https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/sfc/se ... Context=S1

https://dph.illinois.gov/covid19

There is also a live update every day at 2:30. https://multimedia.illinois.gov/press/press-live.html

Was there something else you were looking for?

George

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#747 Post by Corey N. » June 22nd, 2020, 10:08 am

George Hejna wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:26 am
Was there something else you were looking for?

George
Finding city data isn't easy and when I've visited the page, it's been broken (you can get some information, but some links/explanations do not seem to work). I hope that Lori is making the right call, but I'm somewhat worried that we are rushing. Generally speaking though, I'd trust Lori to make the right call more than anyone other person currently in city government.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#748 Post by George Hejna » June 22nd, 2020, 10:15 am

Corey N. wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 10:08 am
George Hejna wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:26 am
Was there something else you were looking for?

George
Finding city data isn't easy and when I've visited the page, it's been broken (you can get some information, but some links/explanations do not seem to work). I hope that Lori is making the right call, but I'm somewhat worried that we are rushing. Generally speaking though, I'd trust Lori to make the right call more than anyone other person currently in city government.
Corey if you are looking for data here is a link to a PowerBI dashboard the city maintains. The dashboard is clickable so you can drill down if you want.

https://app.powerbigov.us/view?r=eyJrIj ... ZlNzAyNyJ9

Here is the link to city specific more general Covid19 info. https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/c ... /home.html

George

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27210
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#749 Post by Corey N. » June 22nd, 2020, 10:21 am

George Hejna wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 10:15 am
Corey N. wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 10:08 am
George Hejna wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:26 am
Was there something else you were looking for?

George
Finding city data isn't easy and when I've visited the page, it's been broken (you can get some information, but some links/explanations do not seem to work). I hope that Lori is making the right call, but I'm somewhat worried that we are rushing. Generally speaking though, I'd trust Lori to make the right call more than anyone other person currently in city government.
Corey if you are looking for data here is a link to a PowerBI dashboard the city maintains. The dashboard is clickable so you can drill down if you want.

https://app.powerbigov.us/view?r=eyJrIj ... ZlNzAyNyJ9

Here is the link to city specific more general Covid19 info. https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/c ... /home.html

George
Thanks George. I've had problems with that page, but it might just be my browser. At any rate, certainly we are trending in the right direction.
I'm with Corey on this. - Todd W.

Nøv¡¢k

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7579
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#750 Post by Nick Gangas » June 22nd, 2020, 12:05 pm

George Hejna wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:26 am
Nick Gangas wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 8:22 am
Corey N. wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 7:01 am


Lori said we should have already started indoor dining. Very curious statement. I can only imagine she looked at the budget and panicked.

So much for data.
Yes and nothing form the state yet. Said we "should" be a go on Friday but no guidance. The clown show continues on.
https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/sfc/se ... Context=S1

https://dph.illinois.gov/covid19

There is also a live update every day at 2:30. https://multimedia.illinois.gov/press/press-live.html

Was there something else you were looking for?

George
Yes I am George. I'm looking for leadership that's responsive to people who have put there life savings on the line for a dream. something that state has sucked at.

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”