Chicago Restaurant Thread

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Corey N.

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#551 Post by Corey N. » March 18th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Heading to Alinea this coming weekend. Better to pass on the pairings? I asked for and received a copy of the bottle list. Not many bargains, that's for sure.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#552 Post by Paul Miller » March 18th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Corey N. wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 6:54 pm
Heading to Alinea this coming weekend. Better to pass on the pairings? I asked for and received a copy of the bottle list. Not many bargains, that's for sure.
We went about a year ago. We did the middle pairing. Wines were good, not great, but good matches. Type of food is all over the board, so somewhat hard to order a bottle to cover it all, so that was our justification. Again, the wines were good, just not anything to brag about, but they paired well.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#553 Post by George Hejna » March 19th, 2019, 6:46 am

I would skip the pairing. Get a bottle of Champagne and something else.... Alinea is not the place to go for bargains.

George

Corey N.

#554 Post by Corey N. » March 19th, 2019, 7:35 am

Paul/George, thanks for your responses.

There are actually a couple reasonable deals on older Cab Franc. Musar is fairly priced (for a restaurant). But I was leaning toward what you suggested George (and what was also suggested by another friend)...Champagne and maybe a glass of red and call it a day.

Nøv¡¢k

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#555 Post by George Hejna » March 19th, 2019, 10:31 am

Had the 1999 Musar in half bottle last week it was drinking really well. Not sure an entire bottle of Red would be needed... It's a tough menu to pair. Hence Champagne.

:)

George

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#556 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » March 19th, 2019, 11:23 am

I was there quite recently and had the wine list and pairings sent in advance. I thought the basic pairings were the way to go. Largely they’re good wine, well chose with a surprise or two. Relative to the bottle list I actually thought they were the best value. I tend to prefer pairings in general though. I like it as part of the experience of a tasting menu (although it is falling when it’s a gouge relative to the bottle list). The middle priced premium seemed like a fairly small step up I. Quality on each wine for a large step up in price. The top pairing was full of baller wines and an outrageously high price.

Corey - did they send the pairings to you too? It should help with the choice.

Corey N.

#557 Post by Corey N. » March 19th, 2019, 11:40 am

Clayton, they did not send the pairings -- just the 35 page list. Perhaps I'll request a copy; thanks for the tip.

Nøv¡¢k

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#558 Post by Paul Miller » March 19th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Corey N. wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 11:40 am
Clayton, they did not send the pairings -- just the 35 page list. Perhaps I'll request a copy; thanks for the tip.
The top list just put the night too expensive for me. HOWEVER, I never thought to ask for the pairings/list in advance (Doh!). Maybe I would have gone with the basic list. But to Calyton's point, I am a sucker for pairings. Only one pairing seemed to be a miss in my opinion.

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#559 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » March 19th, 2019, 12:29 pm

These were the standard pairings when we last went (September last year i think):
Vieux Telegraphe, Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc, Rhône Valley, France 2015
Domaine Pfister "Engelberg" Grand Cru Riesling, Alsace, France 2010
Turley "Pesenti" Zinfandel, Paso Robles, California 2015
Fernand & Laurent Pillot, "Les Champgains" 1er Cru Chassagne-Montrachet
Burgundy, France 2014
Gaston Chiquet "Special Club" Aÿ, Champagne, France 2009
Bergstrom "Gargantua" Syrah, Oregon 2014
Rare Wine Company Historic Series "Savannah Verdelho" Madeira, Portugal NV

$135 per person

If you're a wine omnivore like myself a fairly good range and on the whole they did a good job matching the food (which incidentally i think has become easier to pair over time as the food has become much less experimental).

Looking at the wine list i just didn't see any combination that seemed better, or better value, at the same price.
Last edited by Clayton Wai-Poi on March 19th, 2019, 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#560 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » March 19th, 2019, 12:32 pm

oh and for point of comparison here was the Standard $135, Reserve $245 and Alinea $395 pairings (as you will see they essentially go with the same region and style and upgrade the wine. But at the steep increase on tariff the value is just now there):

Standard
Vieux Telegraphe, Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc, Rhône Valley, France 2015
Domaine Pfister "Engelberg" Grand Cru Riesling, Alsace, France 2010
Turley "Pesenti" Zinfandel, Paso Robles, California 2015
Fernand & Laurent Pillot, "Les Champgains" 1er Cru Chassagne-Montrachet
Burgundy, France 2014
Gaston Chiquet "Special Club" Aÿ, Champagne, France 2009
Bergstrom "Gargantua" Syrah, Oregon 2014
Rare Wine Company Historic Series "Savannah Verdelho" Madeira, Portugal NV

Resreve
Pierre & Jerome Coursodon "Le Paradis Saint Pierre" Saint Joseph, Rhône Valley, France 2016
Hans Wirsching "Iphöfer Julius-Echter-Berg" Silvaner G.G., Franken, Germany 2015
Turley "Dragon" Zinfandel, Howell Mountain, Napa Valley, California 2016
Vincent Girardin "Les Referts" 1er Cru Puligny-Montrachet, Burgundy, France 2013
Philipponnat "Clos des Goisses" Mareuil-sur-Aÿ, Champagne, France 2005
Colgin "Estate IX" Syrah, Napa, California 2014
D'Oliveiras, 30 Year Frasqueira, Verdelho Madeira, Portugal 1986

Alinea
E. Guigal "Ex Voto" Ermitage, Rhône Valley, France 2007
Albert Boxler "Brand" Grand Cru Riesling, Alsace, France 2012
Turley "Dusi" Zinfandel, Paso Robles, California 2016
Henri Boillot, Corton-Charlemagne, Grand Cru Burgundy, France 2016
Krug, Reims, Champagne, France 2004
Sine Qua Non "Touché" Eleven Confessions Vineyard, Sta.Rita Hills, California 2012
D'Oliveiras, 40 Year Frasqueira, Verdelho Madeira, Portugal 1973

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#561 Post by Nick Gangas » March 19th, 2019, 4:39 pm

At the risk of sounding critical there are some very big wines here. I'd expect this for a steakhouse.

Matt Fleming

#562 Post by Matt Fleming » March 19th, 2019, 5:24 pm

that list is just nuts == the upgrade is to a Corton-Charlemagne with zero bottle age? One of the reasons you pay the tariff, or perhaps previously it was a reason, was because the restaurant cellared the wine.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#563 Post by David K o l i n » March 19th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Time Out says we’re the best eating and drinking city in the world.

https://abc7chicago.com/entertainment/c ... t/5191823/

We’re great, but Someone’s clearly been drinking.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thr

#564 Post by John Davis » March 20th, 2019, 7:43 am

Matt Fleming wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 5:24 pm
that list is just nuts == the upgrade is to a Corton-Charlemagne with zero bottle age? One of the reasons you pay the tariff, or perhaps previously it was a reason, was because the restaurant cellared the wine.
I agree. This is one of the reasons I find Alinea, which I have been to and enjoy, frustrating. It would be great if they allowed corkage though I am not still not sure what I would bring.
ITB

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#565 Post by Nick Gangas » March 20th, 2019, 7:32 pm

I would gladly pay $75 per bottle corkage to eat at Alinea.

Agreed on the Time Out point. We are very good but best in the world ? No.

Corey N.

#566 Post by Corey N. » March 27th, 2019, 10:09 am

A few brief thoughts on recent restaurants:

S.K.Y. - we had a very nice meal there recently. The first time I went, the service was very out of sync and the second time it wasn't much better. But things have improved on the service front and it feels like the food has improved a bit as well. Favorites included the foie gras bi bim bap and the sea bass. I'm still not quite sure about the cuisine, which feels a lot like a bunch of good dishes thrown together rather than a cohesive vision, but I'll be returning soon all the same.

Roister - We went with another couple and tackled a good chunk of the menu, including the vaunted chicken. I thought the food was fine, but not Michelin star worthy.

Alinea - I'll post in more detail later, but we had a wonderful meal. I've been to any number of restaurants that serve modernist cuisine and usually leave scratching my head as the food seems more creative than delicious. At Alinea, I'm happy to report that I was as impressed by the flavors of the various dishes as I was by their uniqueness. A lovely venue too.

Nøv¡¢k

s.nellessen

#567 Post by s.nellessen » March 27th, 2019, 2:17 pm

SKY will be reviewed on WTTW 'Check Please' this Friday 3/29.
Steve N.

Michael Klein

#568 Post by Michael Klein » March 28th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Haven’t posted in a while, but recent quality visits include:

- Etta, wicker park (good to very good, maybe just imo lacking originally)

- middle brow bungalow, Logan square (simple but very good. Beer is excellent and I thought the pizza was good and very unique. Concept screams “Logan square”)

- young American, Logan square (very very unique cocktails. Everything very tasty. Food also is very good but not for a full meal. Not exactly a restaurant per se, but it stands out)

Brian Lynch

#569 Post by Brian Lynch » March 29th, 2019, 8:17 am

Was in town for a few days and could not get into the Michelin starred favorites but had a great meal at Cafe Lula. Three courses - all excellent. Plenty of good wines to pair.

Went to Aviary, which is affiliated with Alinea. Have to admit it was pretty underwhelming from a taste and presentation standpoint. Service was not that great and the vibe was really dated. At least I spent less than the Alinea basic wine flight of wines I wouldn’t try at home.

Overall, awesome city, people, vibe and the food is pretty damn good all around.

johngonzales

#570 Post by johngonzales » March 30th, 2019, 7:58 pm

I have one night, one dinner, in Chicago in a few weeks. SKY and Haisous both have tables. Opinions? Anyone know what corkage policy is at either?

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#571 Post by Keith A k e r s » March 30th, 2019, 11:56 pm

Hi John,

It depends on the date. HaiSous is always $25 corkage, but the food is very affordable, so it off-sets imo (that and I’m fine with the $25 when Thai and Danielle are so awesome).

For SKY, PM me

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#572 Post by George Hejna » March 31st, 2019, 8:12 am

Last time I was at SKY I brought a magnum and bought a couple of bottles off the list. I was not charged corkage.

George

johngonzales

#573 Post by johngonzales » April 4th, 2019, 9:30 am

Thanks guys. I grabbed a table at Haisous for an upcoming Thurs, which is listed as a day that they do corkage so I assume that will work. $25 is fine. How is the winelist?
Hope the local couple we’re going with can deal with some different dishes.

Corey N.

#574 Post by Corey N. » April 4th, 2019, 9:45 am

johngonzales wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 9:30 am
Thanks guys. I grabbed a table at Haisous for an upcoming Thurs, which is listed as a day that they do corkage so I assume that will work. $25 is fine. How is the winelist?
List is better than most.

https://www.haisous.com/beverage

Nøv¡¢k

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#575 Post by Nick Gangas » April 4th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Actually have my partner coming next week. Thinking off going to SKY and Big Jones. Haven't been to either. Anyone been to Big Jones lately ?

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#576 Post by Keith A k e r s » April 4th, 2019, 1:29 pm

John,

The winelist is very good for what one would think. It has been put together and features a ton of wine from an excellent distributor in Chicago. But, if you’re packing, I’d say go with something really good that will go great with the food. I think you’ll really enjoy what Thai and Danielle are putting out. Be sure to get the whole fish dish if that is available.

Brian Lynch

#577 Post by Brian Lynch » April 5th, 2019, 8:15 am

Corey N. wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 9:45 am
johngonzales wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 9:30 am
List is better than most.

https://www.haisous.com/beverage
Was there recently and the Richter Riesling and Moncuit champagne paired really well.

Michael Klein

#578 Post by Michael Klein » April 8th, 2019, 1:22 pm

had a ton of lettuce gift cards to use up so we blew our load at RPM steak. IDK - but for my money (gift cards) it is my fav steakhouse in Chicago.

in addition to the bottle of bereche, we had a glass of 2000 d'yquem and an 1985 dow port.

Everything was on fire - would recommend as always. service too - probably doesn't get better anywhere on earth.

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#579 Post by Nick Gangas » April 8th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Michael Klein wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 1:22 pm
had a ton of lettuce gift cards to use up so we blew our load at RPM steak. IDK - but for my money (gift cards) it is my fav steakhouse in Chicago.

in addition to the bottle of bereche, we had a glass of 2000 d'yquem and an 1985 dow port.

Everything was on fire - would recommend as always. service too - probably doesn't get better anywhere on earth.
agreed. The best steakhouse in the city. Handsdown.

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#580 Post by Nick Gangas » April 14th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Had dinner at Publican and Funkenhausen this week. Both very corkage friendly. Publican was stellar. Had Kohlrabi, carrots, oysters, country ham, little gem salad, mussels and porchetta. Yum. $20 per bottle corkage. Terrible wine glasses. 08 Raveneau Valmur ( wow) and 01 Rayas (also wow). Waved our corkage because we are super cool.

All dishes excellent to great. Very soul satisfying. Funkenhausen was also very good. Not as consistently awesome but we enjoyed. Smoked sweetbreads, scallops and short rib (surfenturfen LOL), asparagus salad with fried smelts, oysters hockfella, ricotta dumplings with rabbit and boudin noir balls. Drank with a mag of 12 Allemand Reynard. Wine was rocking and and they had the benefit of nice glasses and no corkage.

Michael Klein

#581 Post by Michael Klein » April 15th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Daisies remains one of my and my wife's go to's. What a great spot just starting to really push the spring menu offerings. I will be back several times this spring/summer.

Still very corkage friendly at $15/btl.

Michael Klein

#582 Post by Michael Klein » May 6th, 2019, 3:16 pm

I thought Galit was fantastic. My wife and I had a blast. Expensive for the type of cuisine, but man, everything was executed perfectly. Our hummus, falafel, pita, fois, steak, all excellent. If you like middle eastern/Israeli food, def check it out.

Shout out to perennial favorite Table Donkey and Stick for an all around winning night a couple weeks back. As usual everything was on point. Sometimes I take for granted how special/wonderful this spot is and how close it is to Home.

My only recent miss was Cafe Marie Jeanne. Identity crisis. Everything was just ok, and there were a couple huge, huge misses. Even the vibe/decor felt off. Sad because I really was excited and wanted to like it. I also love that corner.

Heading out to Pacific Standard time this weekend, which I’m quite excited about too.

Michael Klein

#583 Post by Michael Klein » May 14th, 2019, 9:10 am

Dined at PST last weekend on Friday night and enjoyed. I thought it was on the 'very good' end vs excellent, but still very enjoyable. I thought the pita was a little weird, but still delicious. Pizza, very good. All the veg items were excellent. Duck entree was very unique and the highlight of the meal. $25 corkage on a magnum kept the price in check but I did think it was expensive for what it was. Still, would recommend.

Corey N.

#584 Post by Corey N. » May 14th, 2019, 9:54 am

Michael Klein wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 9:10 am
Dined at PST last weekend on Friday night and enjoyed. I thought it was on the 'very good' end vs excellent, but still very enjoyable. I thought the pita was a little weird, but still delicious. Pizza, very good. All the veg items were excellent. Duck entree was very unique and the highlight of the meal. $25 corkage on a magnum kept the price in check but I did think it was expensive for what it was. Still, would recommend.
I wasn't wowed, but I rarely am. I thought the crowd was a bit odd...a distinctly older crowd.

Nøv¡¢k

Doug Sher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#585 Post by Doug Sher » May 14th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Corey N. wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 9:54 am
Michael Klein wrote:
I wasn't wowed, but I rarely am. I thought the crowd was a bit odd...a distinctly older crowd.
Was the crowd older than you are? That would be really old!

How was the wine service?

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#586 Post by Nick Gangas » May 14th, 2019, 3:39 pm

I love the restaurant group but the menu did not wow me. Haven't been.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#587 Post by Paul Miller » May 14th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Doug Sher wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Corey N. wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 9:54 am
Michael Klein wrote:
You can usually tell by their shoes

Corey N.

#588 Post by Corey N. » May 14th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Doug Sher wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 3:34 pm

How was the wine service?
The crowd was so old that even you would have brought the average age down a couple notches. On the other hand, Paul would have fit right in.

Wine list was well chosen leaning to trendy, but a tad pricey at roughly 3x retail. Unfortunately for Paul, no wines from Aldi. We felt like cocktails and they were fine, full stop.

Nøv¡¢k

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#589 Post by Keith A k e r s » May 24th, 2019, 9:24 am

I got to Monteverde for the first time in about two years and I really enjoyed it yet again. I loved the pastas, but I really had to re-order the arancini as they were just that good.

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#590 Post by Nick Gangas » May 24th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Keith A k e r s wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 9:24 am
I got to Monteverde for the first time in about two years and I really enjoyed it yet again. I loved the pastas, but I really had to re-order the arancini as they were just that good.
Agreed Keith. Went there before Fleetwood Mac and it was truly great. Loved the enthusiastic staff.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#591 Post by Keith A k e r s » May 29th, 2019, 10:07 am

looks like Twain has closed. Unfortunately I didn't get there, but I'm bummed that it didn't work out as the Grahams are great people (though I'm more than sure they will be totally fine)

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#592 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » May 29th, 2019, 10:32 am

Keith - it wasn’t very good unfortunately. And the space was way too large and lacking charm.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#593 Post by Keith A k e r s » May 29th, 2019, 11:08 am

Clayton Wai-Poi wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 10:32 am
Keith - it wasn’t very good unfortunately. And the space was way too large and lacking charm.
that's unfortunate. Given how good of a chef Tim is, I'm surprised at the lack of quality. But, maybe it just wasn't a good situation all together.

Doug Sher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#594 Post by Doug Sher » May 29th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I went to Passerotto last night for the third time and I'm a big fan. Four of us ordered everything on the menu except the whole fried branzino and dessert. The wine list is on the small side but corkage is $15. I'm still thinking about the short rib.

We had a bottle of champagne, a dry riesling, a kabinett riesling, a gruner and a red burgundy. The menu has a large number of seafood courses and the group of wines worked very well. Highly recommended and under appreciated. Service was excellent too.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#595 Post by David K o l i n » May 29th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Doug Sher wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 4:39 pm
I went to Passerotto last night for the third time and I'm a big fan. Four of us ordered everything on the menu except the whole fried branzino and dessert. The wine list is on the small side but corkage is $15. I'm still thinking about the short rib.

We had a bottle of champagne, a dry riesling, a kabinett riesling, a gruner and a red burgundy. The menu has a large number of seafood courses and the group of wines worked very well. Highly recommended and under appreciated. Service was excellent too.
We were there again a couple of weeks ago with a friend from out of town. Still excellent. And Jennifer and her staff could not have been more accommodating.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#596 Post by Keith A k e r s » May 29th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Doug Sher wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 4:39 pm

hell's yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want nothing but good things to happen for that team champagne.gif

Corey N.

#597 Post by Corey N. » May 31st, 2019, 8:12 am

Any recommendations for pre-theatre dining? I'm thinking Everest, but open to other suggestions.

Nøv¡¢k

Michael Klein

#598 Post by Michael Klein » June 3rd, 2019, 8:59 am

was at QXY over the weekend and cannot say enough good things. The space is super comfortable compared to pre-remodel too. Still have to bring your own stems but otherwise, so, so, so good.

Corey N.

#599 Post by Corey N. » June 3rd, 2019, 9:13 am

Went to Everest on Saturday. Due to timing, went with the pre-theatre menu. I was underwhelmed. The service was a bit obtrusive and the food lacked originality and, in the case of the main, seasoning. It wasn't a bad experience, but I have no desire to head back any time soon.

Very nice wine list though.

Nøv¡¢k

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#600 Post by Keith A k e r s » June 5th, 2019, 8:22 am

[url]https://chicago.eater.com/2019/6/5/1865 ... intel/[url]

Good to see that jackass finally get his and be arrested

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”