Chicago Restaurant Thread

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#451 Post by Keith A k e r s » July 26th, 2018, 1:08 pm

I’ll also +2 the formentos and Monteverde suggestions. They are much better than Quartino where I feel like I’ve had an Italian lobotomy the few times I’ve been dragged in there

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#452 Post by Nick Gangas » July 28th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Keith A k e r s wrote:I’ll also +2 the formentos and Monteverde suggestions. They are much better than Quartino where I feel like I’ve had an Italian lobotomy the few times I’ve been dragged in there

Have to agree with all this. I'd also add Picolo Sogno.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#453 Post by John Davis » July 29th, 2018, 5:44 am

I agree, Piccolo Songno is very good. We have been to and very much enjoyed Formento’s and Montverde. Our only issue with Montverde, at the time, is that we were really rushed. They were not shy on wanting to turn the table-quickly.

JD
ITB

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#454 Post by George Hejna » July 31st, 2018, 5:29 pm

Another really good meal at Roister... It was brunch and it was a beautiful day so the doors were open. I really think that Brochu's balance and his use of sweet vs savory is the best in the city. The music is loud and the wine glasses have no stems but the food is amazing and the cocktails are great!

George

Corey N.

#455 Post by Corey N. » August 6th, 2018, 10:54 am

Grace Owner Sues Former Chef, Manager

This was probably inevitable.
The owner of the West Loop’s highly acclaimed Grace restaurant has sued top chef Curtis Duffy and general manager Michael Muser “to hold them accountable for their theft and breach of contract,” court records show.

Lawyers for Grace owner Michael Olszewski filed the suit late Friday, nearly eight months after the expensive restaurant at 652 W. Randolph abruptly closed its doors. The restaurant was one of only two places in Chicago, and 12 in the country, with three Michelin stars.

In the newly filed suit, Olszewski alleges that Duffy and Muser often played hooky from Grace, and that they ordered food and had it shipped to private events they worked at around the world on their boss’ dime.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#456 Post by Nick Gangas » August 6th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Corey N. wrote:Grace Owner Sues Former Chef, Manager

This was probably inevitable.
The owner of the West Loop’s highly acclaimed Grace restaurant has sued top chef Curtis Duffy and general manager Michael Muser “to hold them accountable for their theft and breach of contract,” court records show.

Lawyers for Grace owner Michael Olszewski filed the suit late Friday, nearly eight months after the expensive restaurant at 652 W. Randolph abruptly closed its doors. The restaurant was one of only two places in Chicago, and 12 in the country, with three Michelin stars.

In the newly filed suit, Olszewski alleges that Duffy and Muser often played hooky from Grace, and that they ordered food and had it shipped to private events they worked at around the world on their boss’ dime.
I read this and wondered, were they doing food events to promote Grace ? Was this private events for rich guests ?

Corey N.

#457 Post by Corey N. » August 7th, 2018, 8:07 am

Nick Gangas wrote:I read this and wondered, were they doing food events to promote Grace ? Was this private events for rich guests ?
Sound like the latter.

Lawsuit is available through this article:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/dining/g ... -and-drink

Here's a snipper that deals with your question:
The Termination of Duffy’s and Muser’s Employment with Grace LLC

22. Rather than address the issues Grace was facing as set forth above, Duffy resigned his position on May 22, 2017. Though difficult to lose Duffy at that time, Grace managed to carry on. During this time, Grace LLC learned that Duffy was working private dinner events outside of the geographical scope of his Non-Compete Provision in his Employment Agreement. For example, he worked an event in Singapore from June 30, 2017 to July 2, 2017. See Event Webpage, attached as Exhibit D. As discussed above, Duffy is a world renowned chef and can find work virtually anywhere in the world outside of the six Illinois counties covered by Non- Compete Provision in his Employment Agreement.
23. Unbeknownst to Grace LLC and without its approval, after Duffy resigned in May 2017, he continued to represent himself as Grace Restaurant’s executive chef and even brazenly took Grace Restaurant’s staff with him to the Singapore event, including Muser, Troy George, Justin Selk, Matt Denko, and/or David Connell. Duffy even represented himself as being Grace’s executive chef at the Singapore event despite the fact that he no longer worked at Grace.
24. Around this time, some of the more significant, suspicious financial transactions referenced above appeared on Grace Restaurant’s ledger. For example, Grace’s wagyu beef orders spiked significantly from May 2017 to September 2017 and could not be reconciled with the number of guests served at Grace Restaurant during this time period.
25. From its inception, Grace typically averaged one to two ounces of wagyu beef per guest. Grace orders its wagyu beef from YPM, LLC (“YPM”). For the month of June 2017, Grace ordered 241.7 lbs. of beef from YPM totaling $13,051.80. Grace served wagyu beef to 727 guests in the month of June 2017. This equates to 5.3 ounces per guest.
26. For the month of July 2017, Grace ordered 138.3 lbs. of wagyu beef from YPM totaling $7,468.20. Grace served wagyu beef to 357 guests in the month of July 2017. This equates to 6.2 ounces per guest.
27. In particular, large orders of wagyu beef on Grace’s account with YPM were placed the last week of June 2017 (69.20 lbs. totaling $3,736.80) and first week of July 2017 (45.70 lbs. totaling $2,467.80) when Duffy was hosting the above-referenced private dining event in Singapore.
28. Additionally, larger than usual amounts of produce were likewise being ordered around this time.

Nøv¡¢k

Michael Klein

#458 Post by Michael Klein » August 10th, 2018, 8:13 am

After a lot of anticipation and hype, Alinea did not let down. One of the most memorable meals of my life.

Enjoyed a bottle of 2012 Mousse Fils Champagne. Had a pour of Turley Zin they were pairing with the red courses. Both very good, but glad we skipped the pairings.

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Chicago Restaurant Thread

#459 Post by Nick Gangas » August 13th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Corey N. wrote:
August 7th, 2018, 8:07 am
Nick Gangas wrote:I read this and wondered, were they doing food events to promote Grace ? Was this private events for rich guests ?
Sound like the latter.

Lawsuit is available through this article:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/dining/g ... -and-drink

Here's a snipper that deals with your question:
The Termination of Duffy’s and Muser’s Employment with Grace LLC

22. Rather than address the issues Grace was facing as set forth above, Duffy resigned his position on May 22, 2017. Though difficult to lose Duffy at that time, Grace managed to carry on. During this time, Grace LLC learned that Duffy was working private dinner events outside of the geographical scope of his Non-Compete Provision in his Employment Agreement. For example, he worked an event in Singapore from June 30, 2017 to July 2, 2017. See Event Webpage, attached as Exhibit D. As discussed above, Duffy is a world renowned chef and can find work virtually anywhere in the world outside of the six Illinois counties covered by Non- Compete Provision in his Employment Agreement.
23. Unbeknownst to Grace LLC and without its approval, after Duffy resigned in May 2017, he continued to represent himself as Grace Restaurant’s executive chef and even brazenly took Grace Restaurant’s staff with him to the Singapore event, including Muser, Troy George, Justin Selk, Matt Denko, and/or David Connell. Duffy even represented himself as being Grace’s executive chef at the Singapore event despite the fact that he no longer worked at Grace.
24. Around this time, some of the more significant, suspicious financial transactions referenced above appeared on Grace Restaurant’s ledger. For example, Grace’s wagyu beef orders spiked significantly from May 2017 to September 2017 and could not be reconciled with the number of guests served at Grace Restaurant during this time period.
25. From its inception, Grace typically averaged one to two ounces of wagyu beef per guest. Grace orders its wagyu beef from YPM, LLC (“YPM”). For the month of June 2017, Grace ordered 241.7 lbs. of beef from YPM totaling $13,051.80. Grace served wagyu beef to 727 guests in the month of June 2017. This equates to 5.3 ounces per guest.
26. For the month of July 2017, Grace ordered 138.3 lbs. of wagyu beef from YPM totaling $7,468.20. Grace served wagyu beef to 357 guests in the month of July 2017. This equates to 6.2 ounces per guest.
27. In particular, large orders of wagyu beef on Grace’s account with YPM were placed the last week of June 2017 (69.20 lbs. totaling $3,736.80) and first week of July 2017 (45.70 lbs. totaling $2,467.80) when Duffy was hosting the above-referenced private dining event in Singapore.
28. Additionally, larger than usual amounts of produce were likewise being ordered around this time.
So I just read an op-ed where the author was accusing the owner of not understanding that these things are promotional and are done all the time. I'd have lots of questions like were these expenses reimbursed ? I assume not by the tone of the accusation. Was Duffy compensated for this privately ? My last chef used to do private parties for a guest in Hinsdale and would buy product from my store. Obviously we discussed beforehand.

Corey N.

#460 Post by Corey N. » August 14th, 2018, 7:19 am

Nick Gangas wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:30 pm
So I just read an op-ed where the author was accusing the owner of not understanding that these things are promotional and are done all the time. I'd have lots of questions like were these expenses reimbursed ? I assume not by the tone of the accusation. Was Duffy compensated for this privately ? My last chef used to do private parties for a guest in Hinsdale and would buy product from my store. Obviously we discussed beforehand.
That op-ed doesn't make sense. Duffy resigned, so why would he be promoting Grace? It sounds like the author forgot about the timeline.

If Duffy resigned in late May, but he's doing events in June/July which is where the food costs spiked there are two conclusions which jump immediately to mind. Either:
a) the replacement chefs did a terrible job with inventory control; or
b) Duffy took a little product "for the road".

Obviously, the lawsuit assumes (b).

Nøv¡¢k

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#461 Post by Nick Gangas » August 14th, 2018, 11:08 am

http://fooditor.com/grace-case-go-away- ... other-day/

I hope this link works. I don't know. I've seen many restaurant people pilfer their work place for personal gain. What's not listed anywhere is what were the events. Also the timeline doesn't make sense to me either. I thought Duffy left in December.

In the end this was obviously very bad partnership. Call me Cpt.Obvious.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#462 Post by Keith A k e r s » August 14th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Nick, agree on the timeline as it was a very public firing/fallout from the money and Duffy+Muser in December. If Duffy quit in May, was he re-hired later? It doesn’t make sense to me and just seems like a real shitty situation no matter which way one cuts it

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#463 Post by Nick Gangas » August 14th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Yep. The answer is in the details here. If he did big public events like Beard dinners like the author says then I agree it was to promote the restaurant. If it was at someones house or country club then I'd ask what happened to the revenue.

Corey N.

#464 Post by Corey N. » August 15th, 2018, 7:34 am

Nick Gangas wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:10 pm
Yep. The answer is in the details here. If he did big public events like Beard dinners like the author says then I agree it was to promote the restaurant. If it was at someones house or country club then I'd ask what happened to the revenue.
The events occurred when Duffy wasn't working for Grace.

Duffy left in May 2017.

Suspicious orders May 2017 to September 2017.

Duffy back at Grace in fall 2017.

Events apparently happened in the period when Duffy was gone. Example from complaint -- big event in Singapore late June/early July.

I have no dog in the fight, but based on the limited information that has been made public, it looks like Duffy was dipping his quill in the company ink.

Nøv¡¢k

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#465 Post by Keith A k e r s » August 15th, 2018, 9:07 am

But if Duffy wasn’t working for Grace at that time, why was he even allowed to put in such orders? If the owner knew or suspected him of dipping in, why was he re-hired? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

I say all of this as someone who has no relationship with either Duffy or Muser. I’m just saying that there’s a ton that doesn’t add up here.

Corey N.

#466 Post by Corey N. » August 15th, 2018, 10:20 am

Keith A k e r s wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 9:07 am
But if Duffy wasn’t working for Grace at that time, why was he even allowed to put in such orders? If the owner knew or suspected him of dipping in, why was he re-hired? It just doesn’t make sense to me.

I say all of this as someone who has no relationship with either Duffy or Muser. I’m just saying that there’s a ton that doesn’t add up here.
Reading between the lines, either (a) he kept ordering food on the company's dime because he was never taken off the company's account or (b) he had someone (former co-worker?) do the ordering for him.

As for the re-hired part, it's possible the company didn't catch it until later. It's also possible that the company knew that there was an issue, but figured they'd look the other way if Duffy came back because of what he brought to the table.

Nøv¡¢k

S teve R edenbaugh
GCC Member
GCC Member

#467 Post by S teve R edenbaugh » August 23rd, 2018, 4:22 pm

Nice to see all the love for SKY...could be best chicken in Chicago. Also agree with Daisy's recommendation...great, creative pastas and love the corkage fee. My new love is Pacific Standard Time...new Paul Kahan venture. Had amazing Liquid Farms dinner there Tuesday where you could actually tell they fine-tuned each course to the wines. Keith, we need too do triple points night again at RPM.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#468 Post by Keith A k e r s » August 24th, 2018, 5:38 am

S teve R edenbaugh wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 4:22 pm
Keith, we need too do triple points night again at RPM.
Absolutely! I’ve been a fan of what Seth and Nate are doing at Booth-One as well. I’m out of the country for the next few days, but shoot me a PM and let’s open some bottles

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#469 Post by Keith A k e r s » August 24th, 2018, 5:41 am

In much less happy news, I’m glad this story get picked up as I saw it in the Chicago service industry FB group. This is truly despicable and while I had heard rumblings that the owner of Canton Regio was a jackass, this is unacceptable and absolutely no one should give him a f*ck dime

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/8/23/177 ... media-post

Please keep posting this and let it be known what he did. I’m glad the step-daughter came forward and I can’t imagine how scared the victim is now.

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#470 Post by Nick Gangas » August 29th, 2018, 11:53 am

Corey N. wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 7:34 am
Nick Gangas wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:10 pm
The events occurred when Duffy wasn't working for Grace.

Duffy left in May 2017.

Suspicious orders May 2017 to September 2017.

Duffy back at Grace in fall 2017.

Events apparently happened in the period when Duffy was gone. Example from complaint -- big event in Singapore late June/early July.

I have no dog in the fight, but based on the limited information that has been made public, it looks like Duffy was dipping his quill in the company ink.
OK. I guess that's why you're an attorney and I'm not. I didn't put this together. Yes then maybe a "friend" was ordering. What I find weird is that the brining of Duffy was not announced. Or was it ?

Corey N.

#471 Post by Corey N. » August 29th, 2018, 12:01 pm

I don't recall any announcement of Duffy leaving the first time (May 2017). I did a quick google search and didn't see anything either.

Incidentally, happened upon this advertisement for the Singapore dinners.

Nøv¡¢k

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#472 Post by Keith A k e r s » August 30th, 2018, 9:44 am

I haven’t noticed anyone mention KaiZan in here, so I wanted to say that they are still killing it. I was there last night and it’s a major mistake that it’s been so long since I went

Corey N.

#473 Post by Corey N. » August 30th, 2018, 11:55 am

There’s a new 8-seater sushi place doing omakase in Logan that opens today $220 all in.

Nøv¡¢k

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#474 Post by Phil Smith » August 30th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Corey N. wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 11:55 am
There’s a new 8-seater sushi place doing omakase in Logan that opens today $220 all in.
I went to Kyoten a few months ago when he was in Austin. It was substantially better sushi than anything I've ever had in Chicago, and much more in feel to eating at a very high quality place in Japan. He's increased his price a bit and suggested that it will let him source more expensive ingredients. He's shooting for a couple of Michelin stars with the move to Chicago. That would put him in pretty rarefied air for U.S. sushi and in territory really only inhabited by NYC and LA. Based on what I had in Austin he's got a shot, and he's clearly very ambitious and I think at least has a good feel for what it might take to get there.

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#475 Post by Nick Gangas » September 3rd, 2018, 10:25 am

Corey N. wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 12:01 pm
I don't recall any announcement of Duffy leaving the first time (May 2017). I did a quick google search and didn't see anything either.

Incidentally, happened upon this advertisement for the Singapore dinners.
So all this really makes me feel like we don't have the true picture. I guess one or both sides are shading things to win the PR battle.

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#476 Post by Phil Smith » September 14th, 2018, 6:33 pm

Phil Smith wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 12:10 pm
Corey N. wrote:
August 30th, 2018, 11:55 am
I went to Kyoten a few months ago when he was in Austin. It was substantially better sushi than anything I've ever had in Chicago, and much more in feel to eating at a very high quality place in Japan. He's increased his price a bit and suggested that it will let him source more expensive ingredients. He's shooting for a couple of Michelin stars with the move to Chicago. That would put him in pretty rarefied air for U.S. sushi and in territory really only inhabited by NYC and LA. Based on what I had in Austin he's got a shot, and he's clearly very ambitious and I think at least has a good feel for what it might take to get there.
FWIW I went to Kyoten Chicago tonight. When I had his food in Austin and heard about him moving here I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't be the best sushi in Chicago, and it is. The rice in particular is spectacular. Corkage is $40, but that's inclusive of tax and tip, and given the overall price point, ambition, and size (i.e., giving up EtOH sales on 2 seats when you only have 14 seats in a whole evening) I think that's actually a steal. Today is the first day his liquor license is n effect so the list is a work in progress, but it really wasn't a strong point in Austin either.

Michael Klein

#477 Post by Michael Klein » September 19th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Bib Gourmand Awards just announced:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html#

Would imagine that SKY is prime to receive a star. I'd be shocked if it was left off both lists.

Happy to see Daisies on here too!

Corey N.

#478 Post by Corey N. » September 19th, 2018, 3:06 pm

A couple of those restaurants are surprising. Went to a meal at The Duck Inn not long ago and thought it was awful. The duck, which is their signature duck, was very bad.

Nøv¡¢k

WvanGorp

#479 Post by WvanGorp » September 19th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Some Chicago people can have such an inflated sense of what deserves a Michelin *. Phil Vettel—the Chicago tribune restaurant critic and a very nice guy—keeps proposing all kinds of places he thinks deserve a star such as Frontera Grill. Frontera Grill? Are you kidding me? In France it wouldn’t even get noticed.
Wilfred van Gorp

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#480 Post by George Hejna » September 19th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Certainly the differences between a 1* restaurant in Europe vs a 1* in the United States are vast. By U.S standards S.K.Y could and probably will get a star but.... I am with WvG. No way in Europe. That is no criticism agains S.K.Y. My one meal there was wonderful.

George

Corey N.

#481 Post by Corey N. » September 19th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Agree with the above 2 posts. I’m waiting for Schwa to get a star, so it can be firmly established that Michelin has no credibility in the U.S. Went a couple weeks ago with a fellow berserker who was in from out town. He texted the following morning to apologize for picking the place. I daresy it wasn’t worthy of a bib gourmand.

Nøv¡¢k

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#482 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » September 19th, 2018, 8:38 pm

Corey,

Schwa has had a star for 8 consecutive years (every year of the guide). Can’t comment on its current form as I last went in 2012 I think (I liked it then, although definitely wasn’t for everyone).

Clayton

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#483 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » September 19th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Anyone have thoughts on Temporis? I’ve read some good things but haven’t checked it out yet.

Corey N.

#484 Post by Corey N. » September 20th, 2018, 7:06 am

Clayton Wai-Poi wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 8:38 pm
Corey,

Schwa has had a star for 8 consecutive years (every year of the guide). Can’t comment on its current form as I last went in 2012 I think (I liked it then, although definitely wasn’t for everyone).

Clayton
Oh I know that it's a perennial lock for a star. But I've been twice over the last year (2 different menus) and both times I left angry -- that's how bad the meal was. I think it's living off a reputation that is no longer deserved.

Nøv¡¢k

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#485 Post by Paul Miller » September 20th, 2018, 7:57 am

Corey N. wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 7:06 am
Clayton Wai-Poi wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 8:38 pm
Corey,

Clayton
Oh I know that it's a perennial lock for a star. But I've been twice over the last year (2 different menus) and both times I left angry -- that's how bad the meal was. I think it's living off a reputation that is no longer deserved.
It’s now on Tock, so theoretically easier to book. Have been thinking about going. Hmmm...

Michael Klein

#486 Post by Michael Klein » September 20th, 2018, 10:12 am

like most guides, you can take the recs with a grain of salt. though, from a high level, i would say it is a solid list.

there are always going to be head-scratchers. That goes with any list. I'd say this is on par with the 'worlds 50 best' where its about 90% legit and 10% head-scratchers.

I also do not think a restaurant should have to be a fine dining tasting menu to be awarded stars. more often than not at a tasting menu, i wish i could have ordered a la carte.

Michael Klein

#487 Post by Michael Klein » September 20th, 2018, 10:13 am

Also FWIW i thought schwa was awful the one time i ate there. I will never forget the oyster wrapped in some kind of gel. it was seriously one of the most disgusting courses ive ever had. wife spit it out, literally.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#488 Post by Keith A k e r s » September 26th, 2018, 11:54 am

.........and Temporis is the only add on the star list this year

Michael Klein

#489 Post by Michael Klein » September 26th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Very few changes outside of the obvious restaurants that closed.

Article for those interested: https://chicago.eater.com/2018/9/26/179 ... stars-2019

Michelin’s Chicago 2019 Starred Selections:

Three Stars

Alinea

Two Stars

Acadia

Oriole

Smyth

One Star

Band of Bohemia

Blackbird

Boka

Dusek’s

EL Ideas

Elizabeth

Elske

Entente

Everest

Goosefoot

North Pond

Parachute

Roister

Schwa

Seppia

Spiaggia

Temporis

Topolobampo

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#490 Post by Keith A k e r s » October 4th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Having had a bunch of concerts this past month I was able to check out a few new places(well one new and a revisit that was years in the making).

First off was Duck Inn. My friend and I went straight for the Duck. While I didn’t hate it anywhere near as much as Corey did, it did leave some wanting. The inside was more medium whereas I wanted medium rare while the skin could’ve been crispier imo. I also thought the octopus was a smidge over cooked which can be a real bummer as I love octopus.

The other was Bar Ramone. So, yea, it’s pretty damned good. They did a great job putting the list together and imo there is something btg for everyone. The food is Spanish and that always works extremely well for me. I would happily go back and would definitely recommend it.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#491 Post by Keith A k e r s » October 11th, 2018, 1:25 pm

I got to Passoretto last night. People need to go there, like tonight. I was really impressed with the food and the service was just fine for what they are trying to be. A friend and I BYO'd and the corkage was $15, but each bottle's worth of corkage can be waived if you buy a btl from the list (which is smart and well curated). I'd say it's good for small groups and just go heavy on white wines.

Michael Klein

#492 Post by Michael Klein » October 16th, 2018, 11:32 am

I was super impressed with the food at Entente. It was like a more refined version of schwa food with Brian Fisher as the chef.

The one thing that really stung was service. 4 plates ordered and about a 3-hour meal. Each course came with about a 30 min wait between. Our waitress was odd too. This was the norm for the whole restaurant. We saw tables that were there before us still sitting there at 11pm when we left.

The wine situation is very good. The somm, chris, is is a super nice dude. Recognized him from some tastings around town. He ended up comping our corkage and also bringing us a nice pour of some sake. Very very nice.

Overall - I would go for the food but anticipate a very slow dinner. Still, food hit really high highs, so I would call it a 'recommend'.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#493 Post by George Hejna » October 17th, 2018, 6:36 am

Ug - that's a bit tough re: service. Did you ask why so slow?

George

Michael Klein

#494 Post by Michael Klein » October 17th, 2018, 10:06 am

George Hejna wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 6:36 am
Ug - that's a bit tough re: service. Did you ask why so slow?

George
No. In many ways, it was 'fine' but we were seated right next to the kitchen and could tell that this was the way the entire dining room was pacing.

I'd still give a 'recommend' given food quality

p@ulbortin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#495 Post by p@ulbortin » November 27th, 2018, 11:07 am

Hong Min, Palos - one of the best old school American style Chinese restaurants in the country. Same couple cooking the same recipe as 20 years ago when they had the China Town location. Still the finest Hot & Sour soup I’ve had as are many of the other menu classics.

[winner.gif]

Doug Sher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#496 Post by Doug Sher » November 27th, 2018, 8:27 pm

I remember after the Chicago location burned down, there were annual rumors that they were going to reopen, usually in the mall. Loved the curried chicken and bbq pork puffs, as well as Mr. Weils shrimp and shredded boneless chicken. I've never had better hot and sour soup. I actually made the trek out there from downtown once, but it was a bit too much effort. Maybe it's time to rally the troops,. Thanks for the reminder.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#497 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » November 27th, 2018, 8:50 pm

I’ve been to most of the top places in Chicago and I’ve come to the conclusion that oriole is pretty much the best place in the city. Service was impeccable, food was amazing with great value, and wine service was great. One of the better meals I’ve had.

Rajesh P a r i k h

#498 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h » November 28th, 2018, 5:33 am

George Hejna wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 5:29 pm
Another really good meal at Roister... It was brunch and it was a beautiful day so the doors were open. I really think that Brochu's balance and his use of sweet vs savory is the best in the city. The music is loud and the wine glasses have no stems but the food is amazing and the cocktails are great!

George
I’m glad you had a good experience, but I won’t be going back due to awful service. We did one of the family style tasting menus downstairs and every time they’d clear a dish they’d also clear out our drinks. Not a huge deal, but good timing was off that night so we’d be sitting there with no food or drink for 10+ minutes. At one point we asked the services to let us keep our drinks and he acted offended. Don’t even remember the food at this point.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#499 Post by George Hejna » November 28th, 2018, 6:24 am

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 8:50 pm
I’ve been to most of the top places in Chicago and I’ve come to the conclusion that oriole is pretty much the best place in the city. Service was impeccable, food was amazing with great value, and wine service was great. One of the better meals I’ve had.
This /\

Going back in a few weeks for the 4th time. Wine program is getting better and better as restaurants ages. Aaron is a great Som.

George

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#500 Post by George Hejna » November 28th, 2018, 6:26 am

Rajesh P a r i k h wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 5:33 am
George Hejna wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 5:29 pm

George
I’m glad you had a good experience, but I won’t be going back due to awful service. We did one of the family style tasting menus downstairs and every time they’d clear a dish they’d also clear out our drinks. Not a huge deal, but good timing was off that night so we’d be sitting there with no food or drink for 10+ minutes. At one point we asked the services to let us keep our drinks and he acted offended. Don’t even remember the food at this point.
Why would you let anyone take anything from the table that you were not finished with???

George

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”