Places to eat and drink in Vienna

A close friend will be in Vienna for a weekend, and asked about eating and drinking places. She enjoys wine, but it should be one factor rather than the overriding one. And of course, she would like a suggestion for a great Wiener Schnitzel.

Any suggestions?

I’d add Plachutta’s

Pastries outside at Deml’s rather than the Hotel Sacher.

We were there a few months ago - hard to go wrong. You can get good Weiner Schnitzel most places, although there are some “standard” places that are always lined up. One option is to take a short-ish road trip out to Marchfelderhof for the crazy eclectic nature of that restaurant.

I was in Vienna Feb 2015 with kids in tow. We were looking for authentic, simple places for lunch. Gasthaus Poschl was terrific. Definitely good schnitzel, wonderful daily soups (it was February :slight_smile:, and daily specials that were delicious. Ate there three days in a row! Honest, authentic food, with no other tourists at very reasonable prices - exactly what I look for. Crowded, so reservations recommended. Not necessarily the most robust wine list, but for our purposes was perfect. We also ate lunch at a great Gasthaus near the Kunsthistoriches, I can dig up the name if you’re interested. I’m a newbie, and not sure about the etiquette of linking to Chowhound, but Sturmi is a local in Vienna and I found his advice indispensable. He also references higher end options.

We went up to the Vienna Woods or Viennerwald as the locals call it. It is the wine producing area high in the hills overlooking Vienna. We had a great time. Lots of places to dine and lots of local wines. Here is a good article about the area.

I’m daft and didn’t check the age on the OP - sorry! Hope recs are helpful to someone :slight_smile:

Austria is a lot of fun to visit during the harvest season. They have inns called heruigen which typically serve red and white field blends very young that are great but during harvest they serve a pre-wine called sturm which is about 7-8% abv which tastes like a complex grape juice that is deadly. There are heurigen throughout the wachau but in the Vienna area they’re concentrated in a region called Grinzing which is a short bus trip from Heilegenstadt station.

LOL, me neither. That’s what I get for just following along. [cheers.gif]

+1 Plachutta’s for schnitzel.

+10 for avoiding Hotel Sacher’s Sacher torte.

Any recommendations on high end places?

Steirereck - michelin 2 star… recently #10 in the world.

I can’t vouch from experience, but I would check out all of Sturmi’s recs below and do some researcher. He has a long history as the resident Vienna expert on Chowhound and folks are unanimous in appreciating his input.

I’ll quote Sturmi from Chowhound here on Viennese cuisine (not necessarily international):

"High end, but still with reasonable price/performance ratio:

• Walter Bauer:
    Traditional cuisine with a twist, small and cozy setup, maybe a little bit old fashioned ambience, but perfect Viennese cuisine.

• Konstantin Filippou:
    Best in town, but a very small, unpretentious setup, where also the young people feel at home

• Vestibül:
    Viennese cuisine at its best, with a modern twist, presented in an imperial setup inside the Burgtheater.

Modern style Vienna, preferred by young people, but agreeable to the 50+ as well:

• Hollmans Salon:
    Organic food in a small place located in a barocque courtyard.

• Zum Finsteren Stern:
    A wonderful unpretentious souterrain place, hidden away in a small plaza, the Schulhof. Expertly prepared Austrian-Mediterrean fusion cuisine."

None better IMHO. And I dine in Tokyo most of the year for reference. The owner/chef, his wife, and the beloved bread sommelier make it a warm and welcoming experience every single time also.

+1, without question. One of the best meals I’ve ever had.