Single Thread Farm Sonoma

https://www.singlethreadfarms.com/ - anyone been? Looks pretty sweet. Heading out to Sonoma in April and wondering if its worth a stop.

Thanks,
Dan

Definitely worth the trip. I went in the first 2 or 3 weeks and the food was outstanding, the overall amount was a bit too much, wine service was still working out the kinks. They are clearly aiming for a Meadowood/Saison level of overall experience. The Chef and his wife were incredibly warm and welcoming. We stayed for two nights and the breakfasts are amazing. PM me if you want more color.

It’s number one on my list.

Something to take the place of Cyrus, and then some. Looks great!

Sonoma County has officially gone OTT. What a shame.

have reservations for April. Looking forward to it. Pretty damned expensive.

I was there for a specially organized lunch (they aren’t generally open for lunch). I thought it was incredible and want to go back for a dinner. It’s pricey and not an every day type of place, but it doesn’t have an attitude (and I hope it doesn’t develop one).

-Al

Thanks for the notes guys. Going to try to get there when we go in April. Anything else new and exciting on the food scene in Sonoma? Especially for lunch?

Turkey sandwich on hard sour at Broadway Market.

While on Sonoma has anyone done the hog island oyster spot out on the coast? Worth the drive?

Hog Island is a great place if you love raw oysters. Well worth the drive, but the picnic tables with grills get booked in advance. You can still place an order as a walk-in and try to find space at the communal tables.

Cowgirl Creamery is not too far from there. They also offer tours by appointment.

Big +1 on Hog Island Oyster Co. If you’re going there and want a table without waiting I’d suggest a weekday. As Betty noted it gets quite packed especially on the weekend. Be sure to bring any wine, stemware, and other food besides oysters that you may want. And if you’re going to be in that area then you have to drive around Point Reyes and see everything. Its truly a magnificent place. Keep in mind it can get quite windy and cold there so pack a jacket.

Not too far of a drive from the town square in Sonoma is the Fremont Diner. I always stop in there when I’m in town. Great place for brunch or lunch if you like southern food.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will hit up both Cowgirl Creamery and Hog Island while we are over there. Can’t wait.

A couple friends that have been said stellar food and servisce. We just learned we have a former AV acquaintance is working servisce there and he loves it. He has a small brand so the hours and money are perfect for him but well see when harvest comes around.

When I was in Sonoma County one winemaker called Cyrus the French Laundry of Sonoma County, that honor has now gone to Single Thread. I hear there gunning for some Michelin stars.

daniel, alan - when are you guys going in april?

we have reservations/tickets on april 29th. very much looking forward to this dinner.

cheers!

We are going to be in Sonoma 4/11-4/17. Still not sure if we will make it here, just because we are with the kids and not sure about babysitting, etc. Definitely going to be taking them out to Hog Island and Cowgirl one day.

A little update - went to single thread last night. It was a wow experience. They are shooting for the stars. I’d run there before it blows up and becomes impossible to get in. More to update when we return from our trip.

will be there a week from tonight. Going to bring a white wine and suck it up and buy a red off list. Stoked.

Daniel, glad you were able to get there and it really worked for you. Hope Alan’s experience is similar. I need to get back there for a dinner and I agree that it will probably become much more difficult to get reservations as it becomes better known. The distance from San Francisco helps a bit, but also makes it more difficult for me to get there.

Michael Bauer, the restaurant critic for the SF Chronicle, gave it a four star review, which I don’t think he’s ever done before for a new restaurant.

-Al

If you have a similar menu (Early Spring) to what we had – and choose to do wine – I might suggest doing more sparkling and white than red, as the only courses that would likely go well with a red are the last two proteins (duck breast & duck heart). Prior to that are multiple courses of seafood & one foie gras dish, which except for the foie, lean towards sparkling, white, and rose for my palate.

BTG is California-centric, as well as much of the selection. If you are a party of two, they do have some nice half bottles (2014 L’Arlot Clos de Forets caught my eye, for instance). The sake list is small but functional – which is what we went with – & our two choices paired with the menu roughly in half.

The wine list is available if you request by email, and the staff seems very accommodating to questions and requests.

Cheers!