Single Thread Farm Sonoma

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Daniel Moritz » March 1st, 2017, 3:24 pm

https://www.singlethreadfarms.com/ - anyone been? Looks pretty sweet. Heading out to Sonoma in April and wondering if its worth a stop.

Thanks,
Dan
Daniel Moritz

Robert Dentice

#2 Post by Robert Dentice » March 1st, 2017, 4:35 pm

Definitely worth the trip. I went in the first 2 or 3 weeks and the food was outstanding, the overall amount was a bit too much, wine service was still working out the kinks. They are clearly aiming for a Meadowood/Saison level of overall experience. The Chef and his wife were incredibly warm and welcoming. We stayed for two nights and the breakfasts are amazing. PM me if you want more color.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by RyanC » March 1st, 2017, 4:38 pm

It's number one on my list.
C@ughey

Tom Moore

#4 Post by Tom Moore » March 1st, 2017, 10:20 pm

Something to take the place of Cyrus, and then some. Looks great!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brian Tuite » March 2nd, 2017, 5:45 am

Sonoma County has officially gone OTT. What a shame.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by alan weinberg » March 2nd, 2017, 9:02 pm

have reservations for April. Looking forward to it. Pretty damned expensive.

Al Osterheld

#7 Post by Al Osterheld » March 2nd, 2017, 10:14 pm

I was there for a specially organized lunch (they aren't generally open for lunch). I thought it was incredible and want to go back for a dinner. It's pricey and not an every day type of place, but it doesn't have an attitude (and I hope it doesn't develop one).

-Al

Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Daniel Moritz » March 3rd, 2017, 7:46 am

Thanks for the notes guys. Going to try to get there when we go in April. Anything else new and exciting on the food scene in Sonoma? Especially for lunch?
Daniel Moritz

Nolan E

#9 Post by Nolan E » March 3rd, 2017, 8:39 am

Daniel Moritz wrote:Thanks for the notes guys. Going to try to get there when we go in April. Anything else new and exciting on the food scene in Sonoma? Especially for lunch?
Turkey sandwich on hard sour at Broadway Market.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Daniel Moritz » March 4th, 2017, 11:14 am

While on Sonoma has anyone done the hog island oyster spot out on the coast? Worth the drive?
Daniel Moritz

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Betty C » March 4th, 2017, 6:41 pm

Hog Island is a great place if you love raw oysters. Well worth the drive, but the picnic tables with grills get booked in advance. You can still place an order as a walk-in and try to find space at the communal tables.

Cowgirl Creamery is not too far from there. They also offer tours by appointment.
Ch00

Elliot Steele

#12 Post by Elliot Steele » March 4th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Big +1 on Hog Island Oyster Co. If you're going there and want a table without waiting I'd suggest a weekday. As Betty noted it gets quite packed especially on the weekend. Be sure to bring any wine, stemware, and other food besides oysters that you may want. And if you're going to be in that area then you have to drive around Point Reyes and see everything. Its truly a magnificent place. Keep in mind it can get quite windy and cold there so pack a jacket.

Not too far of a drive from the town square in Sonoma is the Fremont Diner. I always stop in there when I'm in town. Great place for brunch or lunch if you like southern food.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Daniel Moritz » March 6th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will hit up both Cowgirl Creamery and Hog Island while we are over there. Can't wait.
Daniel Moritz

Joe Webb

#14 Post by Joe Webb » March 7th, 2017, 12:56 pm

A couple friends that have been said stellar food and servisce. We just learned we have a former AV acquaintance is working servisce there and he loves it. He has a small brand so the hours and money are perfect for him but well see when harvest comes around.

When I was in Sonoma County one winemaker called Cyrus the French Laundry of Sonoma County, that honor has now gone to Single Thread. I hear there gunning for some Michelin stars.
Drink to remember not to forget!
ITB- Proprietor & Winemaker Foursight Wines, GM Londer Vineyards (RIP 2001-2013)

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Ed Gonzales » March 13th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Daniel Moritz wrote:https://www.singlethreadfarms.com/ - anyone been? Looks pretty sweet. Heading out to Sonoma in April and wondering if its worth a stop.

Thanks,
Dan
alan weinberg wrote:have reservations for April. Looking forward to it. Pretty damned expensive.

daniel, alan - when are you guys going in april?

we have reservations/tickets on april 29th. very much looking forward to this dinner.

cheers!
ed s @ n

Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Daniel Moritz » March 14th, 2017, 7:48 am

Ed Gonzales wrote:
Daniel Moritz wrote:https://www.singlethreadfarms.com/ - anyone been? Looks pretty sweet. Heading out to Sonoma in April and wondering if its worth a stop.

Thanks,
Dan
alan weinberg wrote:have reservations for April. Looking forward to it. Pretty damned expensive.

daniel, alan - when are you guys going in april?

we have reservations/tickets on april 29th. very much looking forward to this dinner.

cheers!
We are going to be in Sonoma 4/11-4/17. Still not sure if we will make it here, just because we are with the kids and not sure about babysitting, etc. Definitely going to be taking them out to Hog Island and Cowgirl one day.
Daniel Moritz

Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Daniel Moritz » April 15th, 2017, 10:54 am

A little update - went to single thread last night. It was a wow experience. They are shooting for the stars. I'd run there before it blows up and becomes impossible to get in. More to update when we return from our trip.
Daniel Moritz

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by alan weinberg » April 15th, 2017, 2:07 pm

will be there a week from tonight. Going to bring a white wine and suck it up and buy a red off list. Stoked.

Al Osterheld

#19 Post by Al Osterheld » April 15th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Daniel, glad you were able to get there and it really worked for you. Hope Alan's experience is similar. I need to get back there for a dinner and I agree that it will probably become much more difficult to get reservations as it becomes better known. The distance from San Francisco helps a bit, but also makes it more difficult for me to get there.

Michael Bauer, the restaurant critic for the SF Chronicle, gave it a four star review, which I don't think he's ever done before for a new restaurant.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants/ ... 025774.php

-Al

M. Meer

#20 Post by M. Meer » April 17th, 2017, 4:31 pm

If you have a similar menu (Early Spring) to what we had -- and choose to do wine -- I might suggest doing more sparkling and white than red, as the only courses that would likely go well with a red are the last two proteins (duck breast & duck heart). Prior to that are multiple courses of seafood & one foie gras dish, which except for the foie, lean towards sparkling, white, and rose for my palate.

BTG is California-centric, as well as much of the selection. If you are a party of two, they do have some nice half bottles (2014 L'Arlot Clos de Forets caught my eye, for instance). The sake list is small but functional -- which is what we went with -- & our two choices paired with the menu roughly in half.

The wine list is available if you request by email, and the staff seems very accommodating to questions and requests.

Cheers!
Mar.kus

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Brian Tuite » April 17th, 2017, 5:12 pm

I just can't wrap my head around $300 per person for one meal. That's more than I spend on food for a months worth of breakfast lunch and dinner for my Wife and I.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2019 WOTY...

Robert Dentice

#22 Post by Robert Dentice » April 17th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:I just can't wrap my head around $300 per person for one meal. That's more than I spend on food for a months worth of breakfast lunch and dinner for my Wife and I.
Says the man who has a $350 of wine as one of his wines of the 4 month old year....

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Brian Tuite » April 17th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Robert Dentice wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote:I just can't wrap my head around $300 per person for one meal. That's more than I spend on food for a months worth of breakfast lunch and dinner for my Wife and I.
Says the man who has a $350 of wine as one of his wines of the 4 month old year....
But I didn't have to purchase it! Winning!

2019 WOTY...

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by alan weinberg » April 17th, 2017, 7:24 pm

got the wine list--not online but kindly emailed. Expensive and young. Will likely bring a Champagne and a white Burg, pay the corkage, buy a red--88 Drouhin Beaux Monts for more than it is worth, and just roll w the evening.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by alan weinberg » April 17th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Seriously? Three meals a day for two people for a month--180 meals--for less than $300? That is $1.67 per meal. What do you eat--air? Even Victor would scoff at that.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Craig G » April 17th, 2017, 7:45 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
Seriously? Three meals a day for two people for a month--180 meals--for less than $300? That is $1.67 per meal. What do you eat--air? Even Victor would scoff at that.
Brian has convinced his neighbor that the coyotes are carrying off the goats and lambs.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Al Osterheld

#27 Post by Al Osterheld » April 17th, 2017, 7:50 pm

That's pretty typical, a lot of tasting menus are suited to Champagne, white, and rose with maybe a red for the last course or two. Works for me.

-Al

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Brian Tuite » April 18th, 2017, 5:52 am

alan weinberg wrote:
$300/person, that's $600/month or $20/day. So maybe I'm off a little but not much. We generally have coffee an maybe oatmeal or fruit in the morning. Fruit or salad for lunch. We make our own meals from scratch every evening which is much more economical and healthy than premade meals. We eat out once or twice a month if that.

2019 WOTY...

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Brian Tuite » April 18th, 2017, 5:54 am

Craig G wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:
Brian has convinced his neighbor that the coyotes are carrying off the goats and lambs.
You mean this guy?
IMG_6952.JPG
IMG_6952.JPG (39.23 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

2019 WOTY...

Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Daniel Moritz » April 18th, 2017, 6:54 am

alan weinberg wrote:got the wine list--not online but kindly emailed. Expensive and young. Will likely bring a Champagne and a white Burg, pay the corkage, buy a red--88 Drouhin Beaux Monts for more than it is worth, and just roll w the evening.
You will not go wrong. It's almost a week later and I'm still thinking about the meal. I did the opposite on wine, brought a 95 chave (stunning) and went by the glass on sake and white with the early courses. I was more impressed with this meal than either Meadowood, Saison, Benu, or anywhere else in northern CA that is striving for the same type of meal.
Daniel Moritz

Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Daniel Moritz » April 18th, 2017, 6:57 am

Sneak preview:
IMG_3849.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG (34.47 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
Daniel Moritz

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Brian Tuite » April 18th, 2017, 7:18 am

Daniel Moritz wrote:Sneak preview:
IMG_3849.JPG
By the looks of the amount of dishes used I would bet the recipe came from Blue Apron.

2019 WOTY...

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Ed Gonzales » April 18th, 2017, 11:37 am

Daniel Moritz wrote:
alan weinberg wrote:got the wine list--not online but kindly emailed. Expensive and young. Will likely bring a Champagne and a white Burg, pay the corkage, buy a red--88 Drouhin Beaux Monts for more than it is worth, and just roll w the evening.
You will not go wrong. It's almost a week later and I'm still thinking about the meal. I did the opposite on wine, brought a 95 chave (stunning) and went by the glass on sake and white with the early courses. I was more impressed with this meal than either Meadowood, Saison, Benu, or anywhere else in northern CA that is striving for the same type of meal.
save me some of that aged burg doc ;) hope you and the mrs. enjoy!

thanks for reporting back daniel. danielle and i are very much looking forward to our dinner in a couple of weeks.

[cheers.gif]
ed s @ n

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by alan weinberg » April 18th, 2017, 10:07 pm

I read this as $300 total for the two of you.

Daniel Moritz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Daniel Moritz » May 2nd, 2017, 6:36 am

Alan W and Ed G - how were your meals?
Daniel Moritz

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Ed Gonzales » May 2nd, 2017, 11:52 am

Daniel Moritz wrote:Alan W and Ed G - how were your meals?

our meal saturday night was outstanding. precise, clean, innovative. everything as advertised.

[cheers.gif]
ed s @ n

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by alan weinberg » May 2nd, 2017, 1:02 pm

Ed Gonzales wrote:

our meal saturday night was outstanding. precise, clean, innovative. everything as advertised.

[cheers.gif]
loved the hotel room. Single Thread has 5 rooms above restaurant. Bar stocked w Pliny the Elder, free. Homemade ice cream, chocolates.

Dinner was in a beautiful room, excellent wine service, great overall service, but food didn't move any of us. Prepared properly and sometimes inventive, very understated and a bit too Japanese for my likings. No course I am dreaming about or wishing for, it was a lovely experience but not at Troisgros-Per Se-Addison-Guy Savoy-Jules Verne level, to provide some comparisons. Liked it, didn't love it.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Brian Tuite » May 2nd, 2017, 1:54 pm

How much was the free stuff if I might ask?

2019 WOTY...

Robert Dentice

#39 Post by Robert Dentice » May 2nd, 2017, 2:48 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
Ed Gonzales wrote:

[cheers.gif]
loved the hotel room. Single Thread has 5 rooms above restaurant. Bar stocked w Pliny the Elder, free. Homemade ice cream, chocolates.

Dinner was in a beautiful room, excellent wine service, great overall service, but food didn't move any of us. Prepared properly and sometimes inventive, very understated and a bit too Japanese for my likings. No course I am dreaming about or wishing for, it was a lovely experience but not at Troisgros-Per Se-Addison-Guy Savoy-Jules Verne level, to provide some comparisons. Liked it, didn't love it.
Alan - Sorry you did not like it. I can see why it was not to your tastes given the restaurants you mention. The three in your list that I have eaten at are much different and for my tastes much heavier than the Japanese influenced food at Single Thread. I hope you got to try the breakfast in the room.

Ed Gonzales
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Ed Gonzales » May 2nd, 2017, 2:55 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
Ed Gonzales wrote:

[cheers.gif]

our wine service sat. night must have been off. i had to request to have my glass filled several times. the water service however was on point!

i would compare single thread to n/naka. if you like n/naka you will like this place.

[cheers.gif]
ed s @ n

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by alan weinberg » May 2nd, 2017, 9:23 pm

Ed Gonzales wrote:Alan - Sorry you did not like it. I can see why it was not to your tastes given the restaurants you mention. The three in your list that I have eaten at are much different and for my tastes much heavier than the Japanese influenced food at Single Thread. I hope you got to try the breakfast in the room.
2 nice breakfasts in the library room with our friends. First was awesome. Next day, different server, a rather indifferent fellow, was a lesser experience.

M. Meer

#42 Post by M. Meer » May 2nd, 2017, 10:15 pm

Having only been open since December, I think it has gotten off to a very good start, and it deservedly falls somewhere in the spectrum of Bay Area 3-star restaurants. There were a handful of knockout dishes, for me. Skillful repetition should improve their execution and service. I'd also like to see them up their sake list.
Mar.kus

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by G. Keeler » May 3rd, 2017, 8:58 am

We are staying and dinning at Single Thread in late June. Really looking forward to it. It's sounds right in our wheelhouse from a style perspective. Understated and Japanese are positives for us.

Alan, interesting that you mentioned Addison amongst some of your highlights. We are hit and miss at Addison. First time was great, last few times the menu was very heavy in both portion sizes and richness of dishes. Chef has real skill though and they have a nice wine list.
G L E N N

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by alan weinberg » May 4th, 2017, 6:52 pm

G. Keeler wrote:We are staying and dinning at Single Thread in late June. Really looking forward to it. It's sounds right in our wheelhouse from a style perspective. Understated and Japanese are positives for us.

Alan, interesting that you mentioned Addison amongst some of your highlights. We are hit and miss at Addison. First time was great, last few times the menu was very heavy in both portion sizes and richness of dishes. Chef has real skill though and they have a nice wine list.
havent been to Addison in 3 years but have about 10 data points from dinners before then. Wine list was one of best in nation--Jesse Rodriguez' baby.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by alan weinberg » May 4th, 2017, 6:53 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:How much was the free stuff if I might ask?
free if you bought the $1000/night room.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by G. Keeler » June 26th, 2017, 7:58 am

Got back last night from a 2 night stay at Single Thread. The overall experience they have created is really great. The room, the service, the amazing breakfast, the experience on the rooftop deck, all were top notch.

For the dinner, the room and service were spot on. Each dish was cooked perfectly with top quality ingredients but we were missing that one dish that blows your mind or takes you to a place you haven't been before. Compared to other recent high end meals I thought the highs were higher at both Brooklyn Fare and Benu. I thought they could have pushed the Japanese influence even further. Another quibble is it was just to much food. I could only manage a bite out of the last couple of courses and we left pretty stuffed.

Wine service was impressive. We went with the reserve pairings and thought they did a really nice job with pacing and glasses. A couple of grower champs, sake, 01 Spatlese, 14 Dagueneau, 10 Dauvissat, 81 Montelena and a fun 86 Zinfandel that was drinking like a nice Bordeaux. Like the food, I thought it was actually to much wine but I'm probably in the minority there.

I don't want to send the wrong message that we didn't enjoy dinner. We loved it and would return in a heartbeat. A few small tweaks to the menu and I think it could be one of the best in the country.
G L E N N

M Hudson

#47 Post by M Hudson » July 13th, 2017, 7:00 am

I agree I would not spend that for dinner, but judging from your food postings on fb somehow I think you spend more that's that in a month.
M@rk
Actions Matter

M. Meer

#48 Post by M. Meer » August 8th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Mar.kus

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by G. Keeler » August 9th, 2017, 7:58 am

Brian Tuite wrote:I just can't wrap my head around $300 per person for one meal.
I missed this quote the first time through this thread. I have friends that feel the same and I understand it. I think high end dining is a relative value considering the quality of the ingredients and the skill involved in preparation. The ingredients being key. I don't go out to steakhouses on my dime because I feel I can source similar quality ingredients and prep just as well at home. I don't make sushi at home because I don't have the skill and don't have access to the variety and quality of fish that the best sushi restaurants do. In that situation I have no problem dropping $300 on the best sushi because I really value that experience.
G L E N N

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by G. Keeler » October 25th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Single Thread got to 2 michelin stars out of the gate. Pretty impressive for a new restaurant. I think they could get to 3 with a few tweaks.
G L E N N

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”